New Assistant: Brenden Straughn [Now confirmed] | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant: Brenden Straughn [Now confirmed]

Anyone else want a different coach other than Red right now? Guy is knocking it all out of the park… I want everyone who doubted this to now just support. Lotta doubters early on… let’s rally together and support.. This is the most exciting flip of the page possible
Heck yea! Hey you've been pretty quiet on here about all the transfer rumors swirling...got any nuggets for us? U hearing the same things? Any truth to straughn possibly bringing a certain player with him? A simple wink will suffice and put the board in a state of euphoria for the rest of the night!

Anyone else want a different coach other than Red right now? Guy is knocking it all out of the park… I want everyone who doubted this to now just support. Lotta doubters early on… let’s rally together and support.. This is the most exciting flip of the page possible
I was initially hoping for a national search but I’m 100% on the Red Express.

I was initially hoping for a national search but I’m 100% on the Red Express.
Same. Was completely locked in to wanting a national search, but it didn’t take long for me to buy into Red. Feels like he’s revitalized the program immediately. Recruiting picked up as soon as he took over, from HS recruits to transfers he’s been all over and it’s really just been a breath of fresh air.

I am rooting for him, but think it’s a bit early to say that he’s knocking it out of the park. So far it’s JJ (which was helped by Brey getting the boot) and rumors. I am cautiously optimistic.

I’m excited but with all these new transfers to date including centers there is still a lot of meat on the bone for this roster…a lot of rumors doesn’t equal anything until we get confirmation that it actually happened. Happy coach Autry is keeping some guys to stay but are they the right guys to get us back to the tournament and compete for a championship remains to be seen. We have been mediocre the last four and have only added JJ Starling to this point who basically takes over for Mintz of Mintz leaves for good

I am rooting for him, but think it’s a bit early to say that he’s knocking it out of the park. So far it’s JJ (which was helped by Brey getting the boot) and rumors. I am cautiously optimistic.
JJ and Benny for sure, a solid assistant, OV from a solid recruit who we were out on, retaining our one pledge, maybe Bell would have left, sounds like Jesse is back. More than just JJ and if even one of these transfers shakes out, I'd say he had a pretty good first month.

I was a doubter. Definitely wanted a fresh face outside of the program to reinvigorate things.

It’s still early, so my optimism is accompanied with caution. But certainly have to admit that his first month on the job has been a success.

Agree. I’m all for Red, but the current roster is sad. As of right now, our three leading scorers and best players are not back. We still have the same forwards who were outclassed all season. If Jesse and Judah come back, that changes things. We are still woefully weak at forward.

Yeah, but it was a lazy hire. ‍

100%

I love Red. But we never doubted his ability to get players. The true test will be on the court

Agree. I’m all for Red, but the current roster is sad. As of right now, our three leading scorers and best players are not back. We still have the same forwards who were outclassed all season. If Jesse and Judah come back, that changes things. We are still woefully weak at forward.
A glass half full person might point out that only one of our leading scorers has actually left, and that player was replaced by Starling. There's still a long time to go before the roster is finalized.

A glass half full person might point out that only one of our leading scorers has actually left, and that player was replaced by Starling. There's still a long time to go before the roster is finalized.
Yeah as of now if Starling isn't better than Joe we have the same team. I like Red and think he will be great, but it's a tad early to be doing too many victory laps.

I wanted an outside hire…until Red was hired. At that point I threw all my support behind him. What else was I going to do? So far so good: JJ was a good start. Hiring Straughn send the right message. Recruiting buzz is great.

He wasn’t my first choice but I hope like hell he proves me wrong.

Last edited:
Yeah as of now if Starling isn't better than Joe we have the same team. I like Red and think he will be great, but it's a tad early to be doing too many victory laps.
Lots of pressure going to be on JJ. The expectations right now are through the roof. He needs to improve quite a bit from last season.

I wanted to go outside. Not against Red, but just new. It might be the best of both worlds, new ideas with continuity.

off the court, Starling transferred back home because his coach got fired and the new assistant coach, while promising on paper, has not proven yet to be the next Troy Weaver. some top 30 recruits would be a nice start and then some wins before we jump to knocking it out of the park.

And this has nothing to do with my support of Red I just kind of like to let things play out a bit first.

Exactly, just as it's a tad early to be doom and gloom.

Agreed, lets see the team on the court as well. So far so good, even better than that but Red will have a learning curve as head coach once the season starts. It's crazy to think otherwise.

Small. Not sure about rebounding or interior D. Have not seen Moore or Starling play, so might not be an issue.
I don't think we're going with a 3 guard team, exclusively. If we only have 3 guards, they can't all play 40 minutes, especially at a higher tempo. I think it will depend on the opponent and game situation. I could even see situations where we go with a PG, 3 wings and a center. When you don't play zone, you have a lot of possibilities.

I don't think we're going with a 3 guard team, exclusively. If we only have 3 guards, they can't all play 40 minutes, especially at a higher tempo. I think it will depend on the opponent and game situation. I could even see situations where we go with a PG, 3 wings and a center. When you don't play zone, you have a lot of possibilities.
Right - not being exclusively a zone team means he's just going to get the best players he can get and then mold his system to his talent. If Red has Judah, JJ and Moore, then it's a 3 guard system because he couldn't justify not starting any of those high caliber players. If he only has Judah and JJ and 2 really good forwards, then that's what he'll use.

Except it’s NOT the same team. It’s a year older and more experienced. And after an off-season of development individual skills will improve before we get to November. The team that ended the year doesn’t lose to St. John’s or Bryant. Probably beats Colgate too. We lost 5 conference games by less than 5 points pre February. A more experienced team conceivably turns one or two of those around.
Now that’s all predicated on getting Judah and Jesse back or finding equivalent portal replacements, but it’s not unreasonable to think that given a similar schedule, the 2023-24 roster is capable of a 21-22 win floor.

Right - not being exclusively a zone team means he's just going to get the best players he can get and then mold his system to his talent. If Red has Judah, JJ and Moore, then it's a 3 guard system because he couldn't justify not starting any of those high caliber players. If he only has Judah and JJ and 2 really good forwards, then that's what he'll use.
Putting your five best guys on the court isn't necessarily your best team. Red would do well to recruit to fill out a "team" as opposed to the Coach Cal method of adding up all of his stars.
And, I think the benefit of getting away from exclusively playing zone is that there are many more possible player combinations that can be used situational. I don't think it was a coincidence that SU often played better on offense when we were in a full-court press on defense. We used different combinations of guys during those stretches.

I take back any skepticism i ever had

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom