New Assistant: Brenden Straughn [Now confirmed] | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant: Brenden Straughn [Now confirmed]

It's fun to speculate again.

Erik Reynolds from St. Joe's averaged 20 a game. DMV kid. Recruited by Straughn to SJU. If we need a 3rd guard who can score and is athletic, he's a good fit. Not a knock-down shooter but good enough.

He will have 2 years left, so you could sell him 20-25 mpg this year and a starting role next year possibly.

I would rather a forward who can come in and be a 30 mpg guy opposite Benny Williams.
Bell

Wonder who the transfer will be
1679017470902.gif

If it is Justin Moore, Judah isn’t coming back. Not enough minutes for Moore, Starling, and Mintz. Unless you go three guards but that’s a really small lineup.
Moore can easily play the “three” in a 3 guard lineup.. he’s not skinny

If it is Justin Moore, Judah isn’t coming back. Not enough minutes for Moore, Starling, and Mintz. Unless you go three guards but that’s a really small lineup.
I don't know about that... We've gotten used to the idea that or guards should be really tall because of the zone. Mintz, Starling and Moore would go 6'4" 6'4" 6'3" across the top of the key.

We would have Copeland and Taylor, both 6'6"ish as the backups. If we have trouble with size in a given game, we can put another 6'8" forward out there instead of a guard for a stretch.

The key would be good ball pressure and excellent rebounding from the two big men. Hima might be up to the task, but Williams/Brown/Bell might not rebound well enough to make it viable.

Depending on the center situation, with Hima fouling or every 22 minutes on average last season, Brown might get his minutes in a three forward lineup with him in the middle against smaller teams.

I'd really love it if Mintz and Starling play with a traditional lineup most of the time, with Copeland and Taylor rotating in at the 3 once in a while to keep their minutes up. I have little faith in Carey or Patterson to provide solid minutes next year.

Last edited:
I don't know about that... We've gotten used to the idea that or guards should be really tall because of the zone. Mintz, Starling and Moore would go 6'4" 6'4" 6'3" across the top of the key.

We would have Copeland and Taylor, both 6'6"ish as the backups. If we have trouble with size in a given game, we can put another 6'8" forward out there instead of a guard for a stretch.

The key would be good ball pressure and excellent rebounding from the two big men. Hima might be up to the task, but Williams/Brown/Bell might not rebound well enough to make it viable.

Depending on the center situation, with Hima fouling or every 22 minutes on average last season, Brown might get his minutes in a three forward lineup with him in the middle against smaller teams.

I'd really love it if Mintz and Starling play with a traditional lineup most of the time, with Copeland and Taylor rotating in at the 3 once in a while to keep their minutes up. I have little faith in Carey or Patterson to provide solid minutes next year.
Hima, under no conditions, can be the starting center next year. I hope Jesse comes back. I hope that badly. But if he doesn't, we need a portal center.

If we add Justin Moore to a roster that returns Judah/Jesse and now has JJ Starling, would that make us… title contenders?
On paper there wouldn’t be more than a couple teams with more talent. If that.

Hima, under no conditions, can be the starting center next year. I hope Jesse comes back. I hope that badly. But if he doesn't, we need a portal center.
I would assume the staff is well aware of this and agrees with all of us that they cannot let that happen but while I, as the rest of us sit here restlessly hanging on Jesse’s decision I’m putting my confidence in the staff that they could find someone better than Hima to replace Jesse

Wonder if we’ll hire 2 additional coaches, now that we can. An old dude that doesn’t want to recruit would be ideal, alongside someone young looking to move up (Devo type).
Ummm I know a guy

If we ditch the zone why do we need a traditional center on the floor at all times?

I do think we need another big that has some more size than Malik and Benny but a good PF might fit better and you have Hima for when we play a team like Purdue.

Or, bear with me here because this isn't something we're used to, we use a rotation so that guys don't play 40 minutes per game.
I think that’s probably going to happen anyway. But if Judah & JJ are 30+ mpg players, that leave 20ish minutes in the backcourt. Could go small as many here have said, and if we are man to man it is possible for Moore to play the 3, I just haven’t seen it here so always a little questionable.

Mintz
Starling
Moore
Williams
Edwards

Bell?
Copeland?
Taylor
Brown
Hima

Can win some games with that group.

I think that’s probably going to happen anyway. But if Judah & JJ are 30+ mpg players, that leave 20ish minutes in the backcourt. Could go small as many here have said, and if we are man to man it is possible for Moore to play the 3, I just haven’t seen it here so always a little questionable.

Mintz
Starling
Moore
Williams
Edwards

Bell?
Copeland?
Taylor
Brown
Hima

Can win some games with that group.
Yeah and Moore for the record is a pretty built guy. You could argue as a SF we would like a bit more height but the guy averaged 4.8 boards his last full season with 14.8 points and 2.3 assists. So 15/5 from our SF position works.

Most college teams, just like the NBA put on the floor 3 guards and 2 forwards, or 3 guards, a forward and a shooting center. The emphasis has been on guys who can shoot and/or create. We have been getting killed by sticking with the old fashioned format along with playing the zone against teams with 3 or more shooters on the floor. I'm excited for a new change. A traditional center is only needed in rare situations. If Jesse leaves, a solid good sized power forward from the portal who can also play center if needed will do.

The highest profile player at a position of need is Hunter Dickinson. Dickinson is 7-1 255 and averaged 18 and 9. He immediately changes the team.

None of the guards really make sense with Starling and Mintz. I can only see a guard if Mintz is out. But then it's got to be a point guard. Jahmir Young would fit.

I think Mr. Samurai Hoops is talking about Justin Moore and if that it the case I’d think Red plans on playing a good amount of three guard lineups like plenty of teams at the top of the sport do

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom