New assistant coach: Allen Griffin | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New assistant coach: Allen Griffin

I refuse to rip this move. I like Allen Griffin a lot. No one is going to get excited over this and it was not surprising at all.

Hopefully Griffin brings a few different ideas to the table. The disappointment I'm feeling is that I hoped (didn't expect) JB would use this opening to broaden our horizons and start to move the program into a new era. This doesn't do that but I hope Griff has a few different AAU connections and we can parlay that into maybe recruiting in a few different areas.

Welcome back, Griff.

I refuse to rip this move. I like Allen Griffin a lot. No one is going to get excited over this and it was not surprising at all.

Hopefully Griffin brings a few different ideas to the table. The disappointment I'm feeling is that I hoped (didn't expect) JB would use this opening to broaden our horizons and start to move the program into a new era. This doesn't do that but I hope Griff has a few different AAU connections and we can parlay that into maybe recruiting in a few different areas.

Welcome back, Griff.
Griff will help our recruiting in NYC. My disappointment has nothing to do with griff. He is a fine coach. And a decent recruiter. But we could have got a rainmaker. Jb went for comfort over taking a shot at greatness. If greatness was out there.

Griff will help our recruiting in NYC. My disappointment has nothing to do with griff. He is a fine coach. And a decent recruiter. But we could have got a rainmaker. Jb went for comfort over taking a shot at greatness. If greatness was out there.

I agree but I'm not sure that guy was out there. Out of our assistants, Griffin would be my choice to replace JB if we HAD to go with an assistant.

We don't and I'm pretty sure, we won't.

Oh, I know, I just said that to demonstrate how highly I think of Griffin.

It's pretty funny we wound up with yet another former guard on the staff.

JB said we would get the best guy available. We def got the best Syracuse guy available.

I will save energy and just add a + 1 to this.
I still think Griffin played a hell of a half in 2000 game against the eventual champs.

It is a formality.
Understood- just an example of social media jumping the gun.

Same type of info leak on assistant hires for Hop and look how that ended up. Different since Griff is technically not currently employed but you hate to see thing released and backfire. Embarrassing for all involved.

Help me understand.

We should have gone for greatness, if greatness was indeed out there?

So your choice would have been to bring some unidentified candidate in that may or may not exist?

Could we call this person --- who may or may not exist --- the "Theoretical candidate" or maybe the "fan fantasy candidate"?

With accompanying Hindenburg photograph
I hope you were better at your job than you are at bad comedy. Others when they try to troll are actually funny.
That was a 4 out of 10. Good job good effort.

Now go scold somebody because you are the gatekeeper.

image.jpg
For the constant critics on here it's just one more opportunity to whine and to show their superior coaching ability (Which through no fault of their own has never been allowed to flourish).

This is about as solid as you can get. Who better to tell these young recruits what its like to play for Syracuse University and Jim Boeheim.
Allen Griffin also has some good experience being an assistant elsewhere. He was a good trusted coach under Archie Miller. Probably learned some great things along the way.
Hopefully this excites the recruits we are currently after, or even makes them feel good about the solidarity of our new coaching staff.

I don't hate it.

Don't love it either.

Guess we'll let it play out but this means recruiting better pick up or it's squarely on JB.

Son what has changed?

It's always been about JB since he's been in charge since Custer was a corporal. The NBA doesn't seem to be unimpressed with our recruiting choices the past few years.

Son what has changed?

It's always been about JB since he's been in charge since Custer was a corporal. The NBA doesn't seem to be unimpressed with our recruiting choices the past few years.
This is the opposite of the narrative on the recruiting board. Which has been that recruiting struggled because JB was giving Hop more responsibility.

So I am glad you are being consistent and saying it's alway been on JB.

This is the opposite of the narrative on the recruiting board. Which has been that recruiting struggled because JB was giving Hop more responsibility.

Exactly.

Unless Griff, Autry and GMac become recruiting beasts, this move puts the responsibility squarely on JB for going with a guy he's comfortable with over an outside hire.

If these guys can't get it done, JB better be prepared to do some heavy lifting these next few years.

I take the narrative to be that recruiting struggled because Boeheim doesn't do it and Gmac can't close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom