New assistant coach: Allen Griffin | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New assistant coach: Allen Griffin

I'm quite certain that Grif will rise up to be a helluva recruiter for us.

If I'm a recruit and every team is talking to me about "Family", then what better proof that at SU that concept that is real than three AC's who actually are part of the SU family?

If I am a recruit and the AC's are talking to me about the history and traditions of the program, than what could be better than having three AC's who actually lived a lot of it?

Who better to answer questions like:

What's it like to play for Boeheim?
What's it like to be an athlete at SU?
How does the student body or community react to Basketball players?

Can some itinerant AC who played at Xavier or Wake Forest or UMass answer those questions with as much credibility as someone who played at SU?

I take the narrative to be that recruiting struggled because Boeheim doesn't do it and Gmac can't close.
The last part has been universally believed after the Green miss. I would say GMac was going up against sharks and got beat. I am confident with Griffin and Autry than GMac though. Those guys paid their dues and came back here. GMac fell into his spot and Boeheim didn't try to replace him after the 2012 season.

Not sure how good GMac is at recruiting. If he just JB's travel buddy to get him on the road I will be fine with that.

The first part people have been saying JB hasn't been doing it because was delegating responsibility to Hop which is what I said. JB is the closer but isn't the starting pitcher.

I take the narrative to be that recruiting struggled because Boeheim doesn't do it and Gmac can't close.
The last part has been universally believed after the Green miss. I would say GMac was going up against sharks and got beat. I am confident with Griffin and Autry than GMac though. Those guys paid their dues and came back here. GMac fell into his spot and Boeheim didn't try to replace him after the 2012 season.

Not sure how good GMac is at recruiting. If he just JB's travel buddy to get him on the road I will be fine with that.

The first part people have been saying JB hasn't been doing it because was delegating responsibility to Hop which is what I said. JB is the closer but isn't the starting pitcher.

This is the opposite of the narrative on the recruiting board. Which has been that recruiting struggled because JB was giving Hop more responsibility.

So I am glad you are being consistent and saying it's alway been on JB.

Since I don't read the recruiting board . I wouldn't know what was said there.

But given the rate at which we are getting under the radar recruits and having them be "one and done's" the idea that "recruiting has struggled" seems to be more of the narrative of the chronic complainers.

One thing that should be said about G-mac. He did get a commit from Green. I don't know why Green flipped but at least gmac got that much. As little as it is.

One thing that should be said about G-mac. He did get a commit from Green. I don't know why Green flipped but at least gmac got that much. As little as it is.
When did Green give a verbal? I believe we would have gotten him if not for Kentucky but we didn't.

GMac to me was going up against sharks. He tried but he didn't win. I think the guy should get graded tougher because unlike the others he didn't pay his dues. I give a longer leash to guys who have done it.

GMac needs to just get JB on the road. Tell him to go golfing but just get him out watching recruiting targets games.

When did Green give a verbal? I believe we would have gotten him if not for Kentucky but we didn't.

GMac to me was going up against sharks. He tried but he didn't win. I think the guy should get graded tougher because unlike the others he didn't pay his dues. I give a longer leash to guys who have done it.

GMac needs to just get JB on the road. Tell him to go golfing but just get him out watching recruiting targets games.
On Monday night. He called back on Tuesday and said he changed his mind. Gmac went to see him and thought he might have made progress but as we all know, he didn't.

Exactly.

Unless Griff, Autry and GMac become recruiting beasts, this move puts the responsibility squarely on JB for going with a guy he's comfortable with over an outside hire.

If these guys can't get it done, JB better be prepared to do some heavy lifting these next few years.
I'm not sure I get the logic here. So if Griffin doesn't turn out to be the level of recruiter you would like, then it's JB's responsibility whereas he would get more leeway with an outside hire? With the critics, jb is screwed either way. The second we don't land the recruit everyone wants, the hire ('cuse family or not) will be called into question. Jb will be responsible and many will want him to pay for it somehow.

On Monday night. He called back on Tuesday and said he changed his mind. Gmac went to see him and thought he might have made progress but as we all know, he didn't.
If the story is that Calipari stole him out from under GMac, then how is that a knock against GMac? Expecting a third-seat assistant to close against a guy known as PayPal Cal is ridiculous.

I hope you were better at your job than you are at bad comedy. Others when they try to troll are actually funny.
That was a 4 out of 10. Good job good effort.

Now go scold somebody because you are the gatekeeper.
I believe you have actually played the Hindenburg card before, but correct me if I'm wrong. I'll try harder next time, but 4 out of 10 may be my ceiling.

Maybe this speaks more to the allure of UK than the gmac's recruiting ability. Who can compete with that uk/espn machine? Duke and Arizona?
I cut GMac a break because of he was going up against. However Kentucky doesn't get everyone they want. This win would have been huge for GMac. He didn't get it though.

Griffin IMO was is better than GMac. So hopefully Griffin can produce. JB isn't in a no win situation. He is in a situation where needs to get more involved in recruiting more than just closing.

just get JB on the road - X 100

This is about as solid as you can get. Who better to tell these young recruits what its like to play for Syracuse University and Jim Boeheim.
Allen Griffin also has some good experience being an assistant elsewhere. He was a good trusted coach under Archie Miller. Probably learned some great things along the way.
Hopefully this excites the recruits we are currently after, or even makes them feel good about the solidarity of our new coaching staff.
I wonder if he can teach aggressive m2m defense ;-)

just get JB on the road - X 100

JB explained the recruiting process int he JB-Wildhack press conference.

The AC's do the initial contact and stay in touch with the prospects. They are doing much of the ground work associated with the recruiting.

JB or the Head Coach comes in at the end when things are approaching the decision point in the process.

This is how it works. And it doesn't work that much differently in many sales processes, even at the local auto dealership when the sales manager shows up at the end of the process.

Now what is it you want JB to do "on the road (100x)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom