New assistant coach: Allen Griffin | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

New assistant coach: Allen Griffin

JB explained the recruiting process int he JB-Wildhack press conference.

The AC's do the initial contact and stay in touch with the prospects. They are doing much of the ground work associated with the recruiting.

JB or the Head Coach comes in at the end when things are approaching the decision point in the process.

This is how it works. And it doesn't work that much differently in many sales processes, even at the local auto dealership when the sales manager shows up at the end of the process.

Now what is it you want JB to do "on the road (100x)?
Depending on the player should dictate how recruiting works. High end recruits want to see the HC at their HS or AAU games.
JB can't just be the closer. He needs to go to HS games and make his presence known. These recruits care about thtat.

How do we know AG can recruit?
We really don't - that's why i'm hoping Francis sees this thread.

Dayton has had some good players the past few years, but probably very few 4 star guys. Which means they are good at finding underrated talent and coaching it up.

Dayton has had some good players the past few years, but probably very few 4 star guys. Which means they are good at finding underrated talent and coaching it up.

Yeah IIRC it was frequently brought up during the Archie Miller to IU discussion that Dayton's recruiting classes were underwhelming even for a A10 program.

Depending on the player should dictate how recruiting works. High end recruits want to see the HC at their HS or AAU games.
JB can't just be the closer. He needs to go to HS games and make his presence known. These recruits care about thtat.

The problem with that is that it weakens the connection between the recruit and the recruiting AC. Now the recruit figures that JB is recruiting him and not GMac.

You talked about someone's job in an earlier post.

Do you do this kind of baseless projection and wild guessing about causes and effects at work? You have no clue what recruits care about.

Since I don't read the recruiting board . I wouldn't know what was said there.

But given the rate at which we are getting under the radar recruits and having them be "one and done's" the idea that "recruiting has struggled" seems to be more of the narrative of the chronic complainers.

People conveniently forget the sanctions against this program. We lost a ton of scholarships and some act as if it hasn't been a big deal. It has. We have had no margin for error, error meaning not just misses but early departures, injuries etc. our recruiting will get stronger as the sanctions end and with JB sticking around.

great ! another former SU guard who didn't sniff the NBA. like we don't have enuf of those guys already.

Emanuel Richardson, the guy some would consider the holy Grail of assistant coaches, has precisely zero years of NBA experience and played at basketball factories FAU, Monroe College, and Pitt-Johnstown

Emanuel Richardson, the guy some would consider the holy Grail of assistant coaches, has precisely zero years of NBA experience and played at basketball factories FAU, Monroe College, and Pitt-Johnstown

Of course.

The AC job in recruiting is player evaluation, building relationships and trust and selling the school and program. If you have those skills, you can be very good at it.

i didn't say it was necessary. i said it's exactly what we already have. like times 5. so much for a fresh set of eyes or new perspective for old coach codger. expect more of the same. i like griff. but he adds nothing new.

i didn't say it was necessary. i said it's exactly what we already have. like times 5. so much for a fresh set of eyes or new perspective for old coach codger. expect more of the same. i like griff. but he adds nothing.

Or it's bring in a known quantity vs. taking a flier on someone because tbonezone is looking for diversity of opinion.

You know what they say about "opinions" They are like @#$%^&*(, everyone has one.

Why should we care more about what Francis says than what JB says?

Or it's bring in a known quantity vs. taking a flier on someone because tbonezone is looking for diversity of opinion.

You know what they say about "opinions" They are like @#$%^&*(, everyone has one.
and some people even talk out of them.

The last part has been universally believed after the Green miss. I would say GMac was going up against sharks and got beat. I am confident with Griffin and Autry than GMac though. Those guys paid their dues and came back here. GMac fell into his spot and Boeheim didn't try to replace him after the 2012 season.

Not sure how good GMac is at recruiting. If he just JB's travel buddy to get him on the road I will be fine with that.

The first part people have been saying JB hasn't been doing it because was delegating responsibility to Hop which is what I said. JB is the closer but isn't the starting pitcher.

When I see people knock GMac because Green chose UK over SU it makes me chuckle. If we go head to head against UK for a top 20 type recruit we are going to lose 98 out of 100 times regardless of who is recruiting for SU. That is a really unfair knock.

When I see people knock GMac because Green chose UK over SU it makes me chuckle. If we go head to head against UK for a top 20 type recruit we are going to lose 98 out of 100 times regardless of who is recruiting for SU. That is a really unfair knock.
Shhhhh. Agendas...

Everyone probably knows Griffin's story but no harm in repeating. He lost his starting job and spent the next year buried deep on the bottom of the bench. He reappeared as a starter in a crucial NCAA game against Michigan in Michigan and played a good game. He started as a senior and was quite good. Never complained, never transferred, never stopped working to improve. One of the factors that makes us unique is our coaching stability. Welcome back home to A Griffin.

Shhhhh. Agendas...
So its an agenda when people who love GMac as a player say the guy fell into a elite job and hasn't done a good job in that job. Either as a guard coach or as a recruiter. After the Fine incident JB should have brought in a coach. He gave GMac that job. People can hold him to a higher standard as a result.

I can list recruits Hopkins and Autry have brought in. GMac wasn't the primary recruiter for anybody except Moyer and Francis even said that was really a Hopkins start job and GMac finished.

It is not an agenda. You think GMac is good as a recruiter? Let's hear why.

Everyone probably knows Griffin's story but no harm in repeating. He lost his starting job and spent the next year buried deep on the bottom of the bench. He reappeared as a starter in a crucial NCAA game against Michigan in Michigan and played a good game. He started as a senior and was quite good. Never complained, never transferred, never stopped working to improve. One of the factors that makes us unique is our coaching stability. Welcome back home to A Griffin.

And he is from New York City (a prime SU recruiting target area) and he has a great deal of coaching and recruiting experience, most recently at Dayton.

Yeah IIRC it was frequently brought up during the Archie Miller to IU discussion that Dayton's recruiting classes were underwhelming even for a A10 program.
Could say more about Archie than it does AG ... who knows.

All I know it should be easier to recruit at Syracuse than it was at Dayton

Why should we care more about what Francis says than what JB says?
Because Francis will be honest if he knows anything. I'm not doubting AG's ability as a recruiter nor am I doubting the hire itself - it would just be good to get a sense from Francis.

So its an agenda when people who love GMac as a player say the guy fell into a elite job and hasn't done a good job in that job. Either as a guard coach or as a recruiter. After the Fine incident JB should have brought in a coach. He gave GMac that job. People can hold him to a higher standard as a result.

I can list recruits Hopkins and Autry have brought in. GMac wasn't the primary recruiter for anybody except Moyer and Francis even said that was really a Hopkins start job and GMac finished.

People go out of their way here to bash GMac. With the flimsiest of reasons. Yes. Agenda.

Man, will you get off Gerry's back!! We all know you hate him already. His players love him and he has done a good job developing most of them. That is what matters. Not what you perceive to be some secret puppet show coaches put on to get kids to commit. You talk like he is repelling kids. He will get his share. Do you ever hear the kid talk Basketball? He will end up being the head man here someday whether you like it or not so get used to that fact.

I'm done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom