New OC/QB Coach: Sterlin Gilbert | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

New OC/QB Coach: Sterlin Gilbert

P5 Coordinator >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FCS Head Coach

It's not even that. The pay is probably similar or even better as a P5 coordinator, but it's a control thing. You go from basically being the team president to a division manager. Football coaches love control.

I would like to hear what some of the coaches on here think about this hire. I did not get a chance to watch any Mcneese st games, what kind of offense do they run? And for anyone in the know, how was Gilbert at UT? What recruiting success has he had?
Im on record regarding Lynch and Martin. So glad Dino had the Ohanas.

1578798070866.png

I would like to hear what some of the coaches on here think about this hire. I did not get a chance to watch any Mcneese st games, what kind of offense do they run? And for anyone in the know, how was Gilbert at UT? What recruiting success has he had?
I'm a tailgate coach at a power conference and these are great hires!

The Lake Charles Beat Writer said Sterlin liked to recruit TX and LA near NOLA. He didn't recruit SW LA which didn't endear him with the McNeese Crowd.

Last edited:

During his two seasons at USF under then head coach Charlie Strong, Gilbert led the Bulls' offense to a top 25 ranking in eight statistical categories in his first season. They included sixth in total offense (513.0 ypg), eighth in rushing (264.1 ypg) and 10th in scoring (38.3 ppg). South Florida went 10-2 that year including a win over Texas Tech in the Birmingham Bowl. At Texas, Gilbert's offense finished 16th nationally and second in the Big-12.

Prior to his stints at Texas and South Florida, Gilbert led Tulsa's offensive attack. Tulsa finished 13th in the nation in total offense and 11th in passing offense. They averaged over 37 points per game (21st in the country) that season. As the leader of the offense under Dino Babers at Bowling Green and Eastern Illinois, they had some of the best offenses at their level.

It's not even that. The pay is probably similar or even better as a P5 coordinator, but it's a control thing. You go from basically being the team president to a division manager. Football coaches love control.
It was reported that Sterlin didn't like doing the booster glad handing thing. It might be because he is rather young and most McNeese Boosters are probably oil and gas and agriculture good ole boys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom