New OC/QB Coach: Sterlin Gilbert | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

New OC/QB Coach: Sterlin Gilbert

Hmmmmm.

Here is how USF did on offense before, while and after Sterin was there...

Points/G: 43.8 (4th of 128)
226 ypg passing
286 ypg rushing

Gilbert arrives

Points/G: 38.2 (10th of 130)
249 ypg rushing
264 ypg passing

Points/G: 28.5 (72nd of 130)
243 ypg rushing
196 ypg passing

Gilbert leaves

Points/G: 20.8 (115th of 130)
170 ypg rushing
162 ypg passing

There are lots of factors that come into play to determine performance, but I would think that if Sterlin was the awful coach this USF fan is trying to portray him as, the USF offense would have improved some after he left.

He also said Sterlin wrecked the Texas offense.

Before Sterlin

Points/G: 26.4 (84th of 128)

Sterlin arrives

Points/G: 31.9 (46th of 128)

Sterlin leaves

Points/G: 29.5 (53rd of 130)

Sorry, don’t see that either.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm.

Here is how USF did on offense before, while and after Sterin was there...

Points/G: 43.8 (4th of 128)
<script type="text/javascript" src="https://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=cfb&url=/cfb/schools/south-florida/2016.html&div=div_team"></script>

I wasn't saying that The Daily Stampede had listed an accurate description of Gilbert's last five years.

CuseLegacy had said that "there are certainly some unhappy folks out there" and I was saying that you can count The Daily Stampede as some of the "unhappy folks."

I started a thread over at the USF board. Mostly negative comments on Sterlin...I wanted to get some contrary viewpoints. Lots of comments about HB dive plays.

I started a thread over at the USF board. Mostly negative comments on Sterlin...I wanted to get some contrary viewpoints. Lots of comments about HB dive plays.

We're doomed!

Coaches aren’t miracle workers. QFlowers was the QB in 2016 and then Gilbert got him in 2017. In 2018 they broke in a new QB, Blake Barnett, who was statistically better than Flowers (as a passer) in 2018 and threw for 2700. It’s probably safe say none of his rosters, except Tulsa, were tailored for his offense either.

He’s been sort of a hired gun in his last two stops and not been part of building the roster. Hopefully here he has more ready made pieces here.

Does not appear to be a fanbase that thinks very deeply about things.

Coaches aren’t miracle workers. QFlowers was the QB in 2016 and then Gilbert got him in 2017. In 2018 they broke in a new QB, Blake Barnett, who was statistically better than Flowers (as a passer) in 2018 and threw for 2700. It’s probably safe say none of his rosters, except Tulsa, were tailored for his offense either.

He’s been sort of a hired gun in his last two stops and not been part of building the roster. Hopefully here he has more ready made pieces here.
Well hopefully he is a huge success for 3 years before moving on, and we can add him to the list of future HC replacement along with Lewis after a nice long Dino run

Well hopefully he is a huge success for 3 years before moving on, and we can add him to the list of future HC replacement along with Lewis after a nice long Dino run

it's hard to take USF fans seriously. That 2018 year they put up 5690 yards of offense. We put up 4700 this year by comparison.

who knows if he’ll do well here. He has a QB. ( we just can’t get him hurt).

Quite a thread! My favorite post (even though the poster has no idea how to spell "shortcoming"):

I wasn't saying that The Daily Stampede had listed an accurate description of Gilbert's last five years.

CuseLegacy had said that "there are certainly some unhappy folks out there" and I was saying that you can count The Daily Stampede as some of the "unhappy folks."
Just to be clear, I was not responding to you but to the author of the Daily Stampede.

Just my opinion but I think the Gilbert/Mattox duo knows the running game really well. If there has been a weakness with the Dino Babers offenses at Syracuse, it is with the OL in general and the running game specifically. I bet we run the ball noticeably better in 2020. Hopefully our pass protection is improved as well.

Living in Austin I have few thoughts on Gilbert:
- He seems very much like a coaching mercenary. Maybe his past experienced have shaped him and hopefully because his past relationship w Babers he won’t bail at the next better offer. However I don’t see a program builder here
- He is from Texas and was a Texas high school coach... no matter how good of a recruiter he is, good luck getting Texas kids to Syracuse as we have seen
- From a coaching stand point he turned a Texas offense led by a true freshman in Shane Buechele into an offensive machine in one off season with a ton of pressure on him. And Texas did not have a ton of offensive talent his one year in Austin.
- From what I remember that one year the UT offense was good between the 20s and not great in the red zone. There would be big chunks of time where the O would have three or four sub-one minute three and outs which would put the D in a terrible position.
- Stop me if you have heard this before but... There were a lot of complaints about a total lack of creativity in play calling and plays.
- The offense was one of the worst in the big 12 on 3rd down conversions
- I went to the West Virginia game that year and there were a lot of head scratching play calls... tried to be too cute in my opinion
- they had a really good run game which is awesome because Texas struggled with that before he got there

Overall take... while I like the aggressive nature of the hire I hope that Babers and Gilbert are willing to be flexible and not just be wedded to the same old system. I’m not sure they hurry up air raid is really that unique anymore and I’m not sure how well it works against the defenses in the ACC because the better defenses in the big 12 handled it.

I think with any coach who has traveled through numerous programs, especially those where they have had a taste of success come and go a few times, you are going to get something like you see at USF. Look even here with Dino- last year was rough and this board beat him up a bit and went down the path of wrestling with his previous stops and how things were before , during and after. Unless you are Clemson right now, you are getting angry fans questioning things. Even Bama fans were hot with Saban after another miss on a NC and this time even missing the playoff.

Bringing in Gilbert who now has some experience running a whole program paired with his successes and failures elsewhere can only help. One guy can't be the only leader on your staff. Successful programs have multiple leaders who know how to help build a program. I look at these hires and see Dino adding more to his executive team. Plus with the DC, speaking to Rocky as a consultant of sorts speaks to taking that same approach. This screams of getting serious about Dino and JW saying we aren't shooting for 7-5 years. We want a lot more 9-3, 10-2 and up and aren't going to sit around to make that a reality.

Most of these guys have probably grown a little accustomed to the uncertainty of it all but this has to be a tough line of work for coaches with families.

Just to be clear, I was not responding to you but to the author of the Daily Stampede.

Just my opinion but I think the Gilbert/Mattox duo knows the running game really well. If there has been a weakness with the Dino Babers offenses at Syracuse, it is with the OL in general and the running game specifically. I bet we run the ball noticeably better in 2020. Hopefully our pass protection is improved as well.

I like the synergy of this move a lot.

That thread doesn’t sound very promising. And, I didn’t know you were a closet Bulls fan :rolleyes:

Go ahead and shoot me down but I like this hire as we are no longer built for air raid.

We have a gunner QB and three outstanding running backs. Yes outstanding.

I look forward to returning an experienced OL with Adams, Howard and Jordan leaving teams huffing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom