New offer? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New offer?

What we really need is a combo guard. We face the real possibility of Ennis being our only point guard next year.

Ya, but this plan won't work when Patterson commits next wknd
Could be first come, first serve. If Jordan commits first then no visit will be necessary for Patterson.

Ya, but this plan won't work when Patterson commits next wknd

Possibly, but they wouldn't do it unless, as Francis stated, they knew Jordan was either gone or just needed a nudge to make his decision. Who knows if Patterson is even that interested? We may not have as good of a chance with him as we do with Jordan. Only the staff knows. I guess we need to trust in them. It's worked well so far. Besides, it's not like Patterson is David Patrick. The kid looks like a solid 4-year contributor. Perhaps JB is looking for some high level, long term guys now so that Hop has a good cupboard to work with? ;)

Tom Crean had a pretty glowing assessment of "Buss" Patterson and said he had a motor that was 2nd to none and is the only player he ever heard of, recruited, or seen that had a plus 12 wingspan... that would certainly be a plus in the zone!

Link:

After having watched his tapes, as much as I've been excited about getting Jordan this kid could be a great get for us. If he's been offered then that's good enough for me. Most likely another example of Jimmy B & the staff finding a pair of Gucci shoes on the Filenes clearance rack of college basketball recruiting.

Head scratcher. We need a combo who can play PG. Patterson is a good shoot/poor handle off guard. Seems like another Cooney. Don't get the need. Jordan seems a much better fit.

Visit is not set he is considering a visit. My vote is this is pressure on Rysheed... "I can't call him Jordan" Jordan

Link

Maybe the kid is a red shirt candidate( unlikely, I know) to get better. If he is really interested in getting better, it could be a great option. Then bring in Jordan. Maybe the kid is to good of a prospect to pass up. Perhaps, with his reach, he might be a SF candidate. In JB I trust.

didn't look like he had to many issues of the dribble in that video.

I agree with Francis. Being able to lead a fast break isn't indicative of an ability to beat guys off the dribble. I didn't see much of any if at all him in the half court beating his man into the lane off the dribble and making a play. Don't get me wrong he looks like he'd be a real nice get for us, but we need a ball handler and guy who can play some point and I think Jordan fits that mold a little better.

Tom Crean had a pretty glowing assessment of "Buss" Patterson and said he had a motor that was 2nd to none and is the only player he ever heard of, recruited, or seen that had a plus 12 wingspan... that would certainly be a plus in the zone!

Link:

Is it me, or does Tom Crean over "doo" it with the Just For Men products. His hair looks unnaturally dark. It's almost in the territory of Keady's combover.

Is it me, or does Tom Crean over "doo" it with the Just For Men products. His hair looks unnaturally dark. It's almost in the territory of Keady's combover.
Keady fish:
widget_blQfquPyjnbQwsb1P0Ubju.jpg

Head scratcher. We need a combo who can play PG. Patterson is a good shoot/poor handle off guard. Seems like another Cooney. Don't get the need. Jordan seems a much better fit.

Completely agree. This class is starting to feel very "Plan B". I trust the staff's judgement but for the first year in a while, it seems like we're missing on several top targets in areas of need.

Completely agree. This class is starting to feel very "Plan B". I trust the staff's judgement but for the first year in a while, it seems like we're missing on several top targets in areas of need.
Hard to say, at this point if this is a Plan B class or not. I wonder if last's years negative publicity is coming to bear.

It really appears to me that the staff is preparing for a couple of the guys to jump after this year. They are trying to get the program guys in to make sure all bases are covered. The more highly rated players we are going after are waiting until spring to sign. This may work in our favor, in that if we have a couple underclassmen starters leave for the NBA, we will have more playing time to sell to them, whereas it looks like the inn is full right now.

I disagree. The area of need was pg and it was nailed. Another kind of nice need was backup Big, taking BMKs spot -and once again that was nailed with Obokoh (and a year ahead of schedule).

Another forward would be nice but there is a lot there now - Rak, CJ, Grant, maybe even MG...getting a high potential program guy was nice filler. There is still time for a higher regarded recruit to commit.

But I agree that Patterson doesn't sound like the best fit. IMO SU could use another ball handler and it doesn't seem like that is his specialty.

Says his favorite player is Melo. Have to take the coaches judgement on this one, just cause he was not asked to handle ball much doesnt mean he cant do it or improve.

I disagree. The area of need was pg and it was nailed. Another kind of nice need was backup Big, taking BMKs spot -and once again that was nailed with Obokoh (and a year ahead of schedule).

Another forward would be nice but there is a lot there now - Rak, CJ, Grant, maybe even MG...getting a high potential program guy was nice filler. There is still time for a higher regarded recruit to commit.

But I agree that Patterson doesn't sound like the best fit. IMO SU could use another ball handler and it doesn't seem like that is his specialty.

Exactly, 2 out of 3 guys we were in on the longest committed. And now Vonleh comes back out of the woodwork. If we miss out on Roberson and Vonleh, It appears Lawrence will still be in play in the spring. It now seems like Jordan is dragging his feet, but maybe the new offer is just the motivation he needs to commit. This is not even including our future point guards teammate Wiggins showing interest. Worst case scenario we have a great class at the end of the day.

I don't think it's a plan B class, but I think Gbinije transferring in really affected recruiting. You got a 6'6" 2G who was the #35 prospect from a year ago who becomes eligible next year. He's pretty much the exact same player sizewise as Seldon, Young, and maybe a bit bigger than Jordan. So with him, you now don't truly need any of those guys - they would be nice to have, that's for sure, and those players are going to look and see not only him but Cooney as well at the shooting guard. Yes, a star recruit probably thinks "I'll get my PT", but maybe not as much as they'd like.

I don't know if Patterson's any good, but if you're looking at SU for a few years down the road, I think they're in kind of a tough spot right now as far as picking the right recruits.

Should nobody leave this year, they could close up shop on the 2013 class, and hope to land McCulloch, D. Johnson, and Whitehead in 2014. This year you'd lose Southerland and Triche, and you bring in Ennis-Obokoh-Johnson-Gbinije. They'd be again absolutely loaded for next year.

Should everyone who could leave this year, as has been mentioned (MCW, Xmas, Dajuan, plus the seniors), then you somehow have to hope that they get a commitment from a solid ballhandling combo guard who could live with 10-12 mins a game (Brandon Triche clone please) and another big forward type (Lawrence/Vonleh/Roberson, but in this particular scenario, BeeJay Anya is perfect). I don't know how you set this class up without knowing who's leaving.

Kev

I understand the frustration with not getting who you thought we'd be getting ... but I think a lot of people here are going to be eating crow in 2-3 years.

I understand the frustration with not getting who you thought we'd be getting ... but I think a lot of people here are going to be eating crow in 2-3 years.

I agree,vi understand the frustration but it's not like we've swung and completely whiffed. As many people have mentioned we got our number 1 target and biggest need Ennis. We got a real nice 4 year big with great upside who is local and a teammate of one of our biggest targets for 2015. We got a guy who adds to and maintains our pipeline to Philly who isn't ranked too high but has a strong buzz. He can stabilize the forward spot in a couple years if we get prospects that leave after a year or two, and worst case scenario he helps build up our APR, alng with Obokoh, and contributes as a solid bench player his senior year. None of those are bad things for the program. We have a lot of talent on the roster right now. We seem to have a legitimate shot at Roberson and Vonleh as forwards who can make an impact next year, and are in good shape for Jordan who is another great recruit and a crazy athlete with high upside. We have a lot of talent on the roster right now who may or may not leave after this year.

Not to even mention we're coming off a year where we lost one game all regular season and had as good a chance of any to win it all if the situation with Fab doesn't happen. we're top 10 this year, in my opinion will be closer to top 5 by the end of the year. The sky isn't falling. We're going to bring in a good class, and are in good position for a monster class next year too with Johnson, McCullough, Whitehead among others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom