New offer? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New offer?

Don't know one thing about him, but he does look to be a tough kid... I'm always a believer in having one, but sort of was hoping for Jordan...

I'm guessing this is to put the heat on Jordan - letting him know we want a commit now, or we'll take the new guy.

Head scratcher. We need a combo who can play PG. Patterson is a good shoot/poor handle off guard. Seems like another Cooney. Don't get the need. Jordan seems a much better fit.

Yeah, his video looks OK, but nothing spectacular to me. He looks kind of like a Pitt player; one of those thick guards that they seem to get.

Yeah, his video looks OK, but nothing spectacular to me. He looks kind of like a Pitt player; one of those thick guards that they seem to get.
I agree, he does look like a Pitt kid.

Jump in at any moment Ashy.
Ashy is busy with a dice game th_chuck.png

How 'bout just the thought that JB and Hop know what they are doing and where we stand with recruits...and most of us only have a good guess...and some like Francis, Jake etc have more knowledge. But the facts are not many of us knew about Johnson coming on board, nor did we figure that Obokoh would be coming as a priority vs. others. Additionally, don't forget Gbinije was in the Top 50 a class ago...and he has ability to play 2-guard as well as SF...now Patterson who has the ability to play two-guard-SF and was a top 70 in class before...there must be something going on that most of us do not know...but hey... that is two Top 100 we did not see coming...we seem to be bringing in kids to protect the future...and we still have scholies for Top 10 or 20 kids this year or next...think 'Cuse is doing fine from a recruitment standpoint

sounds like its between us and one other school in his eyes. with us in the lead. let's hope we push him off and wait...

I may have missed it but is there a time table for when Jordan will decide?

I may have missed it but is there a time table for when Jordan will decide?

Jordan said he's likely to decide this fall. I think it really down to SJU, SU and Temple. SJU fans feel pretty good about our chances with Jordan, but then again we felt good about Wainright too. Then again, all bets off when going head to head with Baylor ;-)

It really appears to me that the staff is preparing for a couple of the guys to jump after this year. They are trying to get the program guys in to make sure all bases are covered. The more highly rated players we are going after are waiting until spring to sign. This may work in our favor, in that if we have a couple underclassmen starters leave for the NBA, we will have more playing time to sell to them, whereas it looks like the inn is full right now.
Kentucky proved that program guys are becoming less important if your goal is to win a NC at all cost. They take up space that could be filled by Mickie Dees. Kentucky has no problem offering PT as they have no worthwhile program guys. Personally, I do not want to root for a team of one and dones. I hope it is not the wave of the future.

Kentucky proved that program guys are becoming less important if your goal is to win a NC at all cost. They take up space that could be filled by Mickie Dees. Kentucky has no problem offering PT as they have no worthwhile program guys. Personally, I do not want to root for a team of one and dones. I hope it is not the wave of the future.
I think i would be fine rooting for a team full of one'n'done's but only because they went to 'Cuse. I don't think i'd be able to care as as much about what they end up doing as much as say... Rautins or Joseph or Waiters. Then again Carmelo has been my favorite player since MJ so i don't really know what i'd do with an entire team of them.

Ok lets see, so far:

The staff got the PG they wanted.

They got the Big they wanted.

They landed a wing that is very talented and young for his class.

They are very much in the mix for Vonleh, Roberson and Lawrence(to a lesser extent) all three stud forwards.

They are struggling a bit to get a second highly rated guard who would basically be signing on to back up Ennis for about 10min a game and then fight for any scraps at the 2G spot against Cooney and Gbinije. Still they may land Jordan who seems to be the guy that they want in that role. I can only think that the staff also feels that Patterson can fill that role.

I worry a bit about having a back up pg next season but I don't see how this class is anything close to subpar or plan B. If Johnson was plan B they could have told him he needed to wait and see before they excepted his verbal. Obviously Jordan and Patterson are plan B to a top 10 kid but they are both very talented highly rated players in their own right.

I am also very happy that the three commits we have so far are guys that will seemingly be around for quite a while especially Ennis. 14, 15 and possibly 16 kids are going to be drooling at coming in to play with an experienced established pg like Ennis. And Obokoh and Johnson provide long term stability with great upside to the frontcourt.

I don't think there can be many teams full of one and dones. There isn't enough talent in every class. Kentucky will always have room to add 2-3 kids that are going to jump after one season because they will always have guys jumping.

Jordan said he's likely to decide this fall. I think it really down to SJU, SU and Temple. SJU fans feel pretty good about our chances with Jordan, but then again we felt good about Wainright too. Then again, all bets off when going head to head with Baylor ;-)

I honestly don't mean this in a condescending or to be a , but what are some of the reasons or things SJU fans feel are working in their favor to let them have a good shot? I know SU reasons and then how he'd like to stay home for Temple. Just curious about the SJU pitch.

what i will be interested to see is what becomes of all the uk one and doners- or max 2 year guys.. looking at cousins, wall, knight,orton,bledsoe and this years brood- are they just talented guys that put up a good stat line? or guys that learned the value of hard work and dedication required to win. You could say melo- as successful as he is - hasnt met expectations in that category. Coming in win a bunch of high talent guys makes the load less- but could also be a bump in the road for development- kids are being shortchanged of maximizing potential in that system- other than john wall- most former uk- cal kids are just names.. maybe its a stupid hypothesis but if davis doesn't develop as expected- and kidd-gilchrist the same, maybe the fad eventually wears off..

Kidd Gilchrist is a10-15 year NBA guy
Agree. MKG may never become an offensive Juggernaut, but he'll impact the game in so many other ways that it'll carve out a long career for him.

to me, Jordan screams "hometown hero". by that i mean, you can tell the kid loves his hometown and has a very big ego fed by his friends and family. not that there is anything wrong with any of that, because it could translate into a lottery pick one day, ie: dion waiters. but this isnt some kid we had been recruiting since 8th grade and/or loves Cuse. i think we have put ourselves into good position with him, but i would be shocked if he went anywhere else but Temple. all the playing time he wants, hometown, hype of 1st yr in big east. seems like a no-brainer.

I honestly don't mean this in a condescending or to be a , but what are some of the reasons or things SJU fans feel are working in their favor to let them have a good shot? I know SU reasons and then how he'd like to stay home for Temple. Just curious about the SJU pitch.

Proximity to Philly but not in Philly, NYC, putting players in NBA, fast paced play, rapidly rising program, playing time etc. Not sure what else specifically. Lavin has done a great job recruiting since he has been here. You'll start seeing that this season. Last sesson SJU had a lot of setbacks and played with only 6 scholarship players.

This year SJU has a lot of horses. Not sure if you believe it but Lavin has this roster going about 9 deep with top 60 players and JC AA's. He's about as good of a recruiter as I've seen, and a far cry from anything SJU has had. I don't know who SJU will land yet, but I'd bet that Lavin is good for at least 1 or 2 top 60 players in this class. SJU will be a finalist with Jermaine Lawrence who is staff's priority in frontcourt for 13'. In addition, I hear The battle for Chris McCullough will come down to SJU and SU.

As far as Rysheed goes, Lavin has been on him for a while now. I think SJU is in the thick of it, but never know until the kid actually pulls trigger.

Proximity to Philly but not in Philly, NYC, putting players in NBA, fast paced play, rapidly rising program, playing time etc. Not sure what else specifically. Lavin has done a great job recruiting since he has been here. You'll start seeing that this season. Last sesson SJU had a lot of setbacks and played with only 6 scholarship players.

This year SJU has a lot of horses. Not sure if you believe it but Lavin has this roster going about 9 deep with top 60 players and JC AA's. He's about as good of a recruiter as I've seen, and a far cry from anything SJU has had. I don't know who SJU will land yet, but I'd bet that Lavin is good for at least 1 or 2 top 60 players in this class. SJU will be a finalist with Jermaine Lawrence who is staff's priority in frontcourt for 13'. In addition, I hear The battle for Chris McCullough will come down to SJU and SU.

As far as Rysheed goes, Lavin has been on him for a while now. I think SJU is in the thick of it, but never know until the kid actually pulls trigger.

Yea I remember when Lavin first got there he was really making a lot of big moves on the recruiting trail. I like St Johns and think its fun when they're good. Sounds like there is a lot to e excited about for you fans. Hopefully we're able to beat you for these guys tho lol.

Lavin's a good coach. Maybe you forgot he was there, since he was out all last year with cancer. He will build St. John's back up, as long as he is healthy.

Hard to say, at this point if this is a Plan B class or not. I wonder if last's years negative publicity is coming to bear.

We go thru this. We're pretty loaded right now. Recruits know who is already here. After a big class, we tend to take a couple small ones, and then reload again. We got one of the best PGs and still are in it for an elite F, plus we got a couple program guys. That's OK. We've got some big fish in the next class who we are in good shape with.

Yea I remember when Lavin first got there he was really making a lot of big moves on the recruiting trail. I like St Johns and think its fun when they're good. Sounds like there is a lot to e excited about for you fans. Hopefully we're able to beat you for these guys tho lol.

Last year we might have been better had we had Lavin on the sidelines and a few more bodies. We only lost one player from last year and added 7. Of those 7 there's some real talent there at different spots including some athletic big guys and a true PG. We couldn't compete with Cuse simply due height and depth issues last year. We'll be young as hell this year, but not overmatched physically by just about anybody. Should be interesting season.

What players in the nba? Artest then harkless? Thats a bit of a hiatus no?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom