New OL Addition (and latest transfer): Cody Shear | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Addition (and latest transfer): Cody Shear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this and a WR addition recently. These to me aren't good things. If you are adding OL and WR in the 11th hour before the season starts it tells me this team is painfully thin still and probably worse than we think.

I'm hoping like heck we cobble together 6 wins this year. I'm feeling very pessimistic about it every day passes.
They are not bringing these guys in to start. Lol. They had plenty of other options. I just see this as added depth in case you have a situation like we had last year. They are trying to prevent what happened last year and we still see it as a negative?

They are not bringing these guys in to start. Lol. They had plenty of other options. I just see this as added depth in case you have a situation like we had last year. They are trying to prevent what happened last year and we still see it as a negative?
some do, yes. guess the last couple of open scholarships should be left open instead. very low risk and maybe the kid develops and plays a role down the line. another big body in practice, and a kid who was at two pretty big programs, not exactly slumming it here, even with him not seeing the field. speaking of that, people shouldn't act like the kid is a stiff for not seeing the field for 4 years, his first year was a redshirt at Oregon, he had to sit out 2019 as a transfer and then last year was a 4 game Covid shortened season for ASU

Any depth at Oline for this team is good. With the injury to Davis I’d add another guard from the portal. This Oline unit can never have enough depth.
Kid has not played but he was on the two deep at a power 5. He was the back up center which we can always use.

some do, yes. guess the last couple of open scholarships should be left open instead. very low risk and maybe the kid develops and plays a role down the line. another big body in practice, and a kid who was at two pretty big programs, not exactly slumming it here, even with him not seeing the field. speaking of that, people shouldn't act like the kid is a stiff for not seeing the field for 4 years, his first year was a redshirt at Oregon, he had to sit out 2019 as a transfer and then last year was a 4 game Covid shortened season for ASU
Good points. Thanks for sharing

Another thing to add. Someone knows this kid. White might have had a relationship with him or someone else. They know exactly what they are gonna get out of him. They know his personality, work ethic etc.. Big part in deciding who to bring in as transfers. You have to do your research. Can’t just bring in anyone.

I saw this and a WR addition recently. These to me aren't good things. If you are adding OL and WR in the 11th hour before the season starts it tells me this team is painfully thin still and probably worse than we think.

I'm hoping like heck we cobble together 6 wins this year. I'm feeling very pessimistic about it every day passes.

LOL wow, this is the worst take of the year! Still 4 months to go fellas, but we have a front runner!

So in your mind it would be better that they didn’t add these guys?

big problem last year was lack of reps, they can know have at least three full offensive going at the same time and when needed give starters reps off to rest and recover

there’s nothing desperate about adding an older guy that is at a minimum a camp body and potentially more. Is he going to win a job, no but maybe he can take a role on specials and they aren’t forced to play a freshman

Peel back what layers? The WR is a walkon and regarding the OLineman they have open scholarships. Who cares about either additions. Are you saying it's better to leave the scholarships open and have less players on the team than youre allowed?

It's always good to have depth. Full stop. I just wonder what are we starting with to need to hit the portal in August to find players who are starting from scratch.

That's my entire point. Coming off a 1 win season i think it's reasonable to wonder what's going on.

So in your mind it would be better that they didn’t add these guys?

big problem last year was lack of reps, they can know have at least three full offensive going at the same time and when needed give starters reps off to rest and recover

there’s nothing desperate about adding an older guy that is at a minimum a camp body and potentially more. Is he going to win a job, no but maybe he can take a role on specials and they aren’t forced to play a freshman

I am raising an issue that I have with the team going into the season coming off a 1 win season.

I want to add guys for depth. That's smart but I kinda feel like the portal guys that are left are the ones that will be left for a reason.

I'm glad everyone is optimistic with this season. I could use some of that as well. I am having a hard time seeing it though

Another thing to add. Someone knows this kid. White might have had a relationship with him or someone else. They know exactly what they are gonna get out of him. They know his personality, work ethic etc.. Big part in deciding who to bring in as transfers. You have to do your research. Can’t just bring in anyone.
glass half full view..

trends says that the ASU line was probably better than the SU line the last couple of yrs.. maybe he wasnt gonna play but actually be pretty solid player there and he reached out looking for places he might have a shot at seeing the field.. since he sat out 2 yrs who knows. way more upside than downside here.

It's always good to have depth. Full stop. I just wonder what are we starting with to need to hit the portal in August to find players who are starting from scratch.

That's my entire point. Coming off a 1 win season i think it's reasonable to wonder what's going on.

We have open scholarships, it's a simple as that. It's a player you'll have for one and 'maybe' two years so it's not taking up space. Practice reps with legit D1 bodies is extremely important.

Was recruited by Schmidt out of high school

To the naysayers,

A presumably good kid gets to continue his university education and possibly help this football team. Where is the negative in any of that?

Remember, you already stated there are just scraps left in the portal, so don’t give me the “if we didn’t bring him in we could have had (insert player X)” argument.

Very concerning. Any one who thinks this is good thing, adds depth, etc., is being naive. Much more like desperation.
How about lesson learned after last year.

glass half full view..

trends says that the ASU line was probably better than the SU line the last couple of yrs.. maybe he wasnt gonna play but actually be pretty solid player there and he reached out looking for places he might have a shot at seeing the field.. since he sat out 2 yrs who knows. way more upside than downside here.
Good points.

Was recruited by Schmidt out of high school
Also, connection with Coach Cavanaugh.

ASU also having issues right now with potential violations (hosting kids on campus during Covid/dead period). 3 coaches on admin leave currently and Herm/DC directly involved in the violations.

How about lesson learned after last year.

let's hope so but we won one game last year. I don't think if our offensive line was healthy and full of depth it was a 1-6 win type team. There are major issues with the talent on the football team.

Dino has to coach through this. that's the key IMO

This is ridiculous. We have way too many great offensive lineman who excel at what they do and have made this offensive line the best in college football. Why would we waste a scholarship on another one?

Why anyone would complain about this is beyond me.

Is this kid even using a scholly or is he a walk on?

If he’s a walk on…

he shows up on campus and ends up playing really well and puts valuable time in, the staff will give him a scholarship. It’s kind of like an extended tryout.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see A LOT more of this happen with the nightmares of what’s happening in the transfer portal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.