New OL Addition (and latest transfer): Cody Shear | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Addition (and latest transfer): Cody Shear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peeling back the issue, the staff is leaving no stone unturned to add depth. There are still a million kids in the portal -- there is no downside to adding players, even at the 11th hour. I doubt that it has anything to do with the incumbents, and everything to do with improving the roster, top to bottom.

Adding a player AFTER the 11th hour [Alton Robinson] seemed to work out pretty well.
Jay Bromley was another 11th hour addition that seemed to work out pretty well

Not sure why some posters don’t want a full roster. If we have spots open, use them.

People complain when we don't pound the portal.

People complain when we pound the portal.

30b4d94f-5808-4391-ab1a-fa6ec183bf04-png.199229

That's a good point. Would be beneficial to redshirt as many frosh OL as possible, to maximize their value long-term.
I don't mean to be overly dramatic with this, but redshirting really is our program's only hope. We have to become the Pitt Basketball (under Dixon) of ACC Football. It can solve some of our ills or at least bridge the gap.

I saw this and a WR addition recently. These to me aren't good things. If you are adding OL and WR in the 11th hour before the season starts it tells me this team is painfully thin still and probably worse than we think.

I'm hoping like heck we cobble together 6 wins this year. I'm feeling very pessimistic about it every day passes.
I’m a little confused , in your mind adding depth is a negative. I’ll have to disagree

I’m a little confused , in your mind adding depth is a negative. I’ll have to disagree
The time to criticize the staff over this was months ago when we had the potential to start the season with so many open scholarship slots.

I'm happy to see a veteran OL that at worst can spell some of the recruits from last class from having to be rushed to the 2 deep or 3 deep for that matter. Just another guy to take some more pressure off the incoming class.

A couple of things. First early offers to kids after they have a private workout beats any star rating. If it doesnt than we simply have poor evalutions from our coaches. Of all of our coaches i would say that our OL coach has as good if not better credentials than any of them. White Swag and this guy have the chops and if he offers an Oline kid im all in.

As to the WR same thing. Guys is a man and if nothing else is going to bring maturity to the position group and might just end up seeing the field. Good for Dino and crew to keep trying. I actually just increased my bet on the over 3 today. Might go all in pretty soon.

A couple of things. First early offers to kids after they have a private workout beats any star rating. If it doesnt than we simply have poor evalutions from our coaches. Of all of our coaches i would say that our OL coach has as good if not better credentials than any of them. White Swag and this guy have the chops and if he offers an Oline kid im all in.

As to the WR same thing. Guys is a man and if nothing else is going to bring maturity to the position group and might just end up seeing the field. Good for Dino and crew to keep trying. I actually just increased my bet on the over 3 today. Might go all in pretty soon.
The WR Devaughn Cooper is a PWO so who honestly cares whether he plays 1 down or not, it's 100% upside bringing him on because at worst he adds another player with game experience at the P5/G5 level on the practice field. Can't really understand why anyone would complain about him.

Come on! They also jump to conclusions, too.
Isn’t that a message board objective.

my concern isn’t a critique of bringing in veterans. It’s good to do it! I always wonder why at this point. We aren’t doing it from a position of strength. I hope they prove me wrong.

its nuance so I assumed people would take it as being negative about the transaction .

my concern isn’t a critique of bringing in veterans. It’s good to do it! I always wonder why at this point. We aren’t doing it from a position of strength. I hope they prove me wrong.

its nuance so I assumed people would take it as being negative about the transaction .
Sorry for the implication. That was not directed at you - just playing with CL's post.

I have no issue with you voicing your opinion, even though I don't agree with it. They have open scholarships, a need, and an available player they like. Seems like a reasonable course of action to me.

Jay Bromley was another 11th hour addition that seemed to work out pretty well

Not sure why some posters don’t want a full roster. If we have spots open, use them.

I like adding this kid, smart move and no downside unless he steals TD’s tv this winter after it snows.

Not to be notpicky but this is different than Bromley.

I don't mean to be overly dramatic with this, but redshirting really is our program's only hope. We have to become the Pitt Basketball (under Dixon) of ACC Football. It can solve some of our ills or at least bridge the gap
Show me where to sign! I’ll take turning into the Dixon lead Panthers any day from where we are now. I’m sure the current Pitt Hoops team would sign as well.

Sorry for the implication. That was not directed at you - just playing with CL's post.

I have no issue with you voicing your opinion, even though I don't agree with it. They have open scholarships, a need, and an available player they like. Seems like a reasonable course of action to me.

Completely reasonable. I never stated otherwise. I wonder what Dino is doing to throw the kitchen sink at a sink or swim season for him. I think Wildhack is not going to let Dino go into 2022 as a lame duck if we are a 3-4 (maybe 5) win team. As much as we all love Dino he needs to push this moving forward now.

You’re seeing the timing as indicative of the current rosters issues when it might just be how the portal works for b listers

Peel back what layers? The WR is a walkon and regarding the OLineman they have open scholarships. Who cares about either additions. Are you saying it's better to leave the scholarships open and have less players on the team than youre allowed?
A walkon doesn't fill a scholarship spot. Its just a warm body.

You’re seeing the timing as indicative of the current rosters issues when it might just be how the portal works for b listers
You may be right and i hope you are. That's a best case scenario.

I do think with my orange tinted glasses that we are somewhat positioned to pick up guys and offer them the moon b/c our roster is lighter than the heavyweights. If we can hit lightening in a bottle we could become competitive.

I liken it to the premier league with the loans. Joe Willock goes from Arsenal to Newcastle and lights the world on fire because he had a chance to play

Reading more about Cody, he had shoulder surgery last year before the season under the assumption the Pac-12 wasn't going to play. Partially explains why he hasn't gotten live action yet. Also had to sit out a season due to transfer rules

Last edited:
I heard some things about this kid. It’s early, but if he can quickly catch-up on the terminology, offense, etc. and stay healthy, we might’ve gotten a break here and a kid who can actually step in and help this year. Maybe not as a starter, but a swing player who can play a couple of positions and provide quality depth with no drop-off. Then in 2022, could be the starting center.

let's hope so but we won one game last year. I don't think if our offensive line was healthy and full of depth it was a 1-6 win type team. There are major issues with the talent on the football team.

Dino has to coach through this. that's the key IMO
After a 1-10 year do we really need to be so pessimistic? My gawd I’m one of the most jaded on here and your take is the last thing that came to mind. Can we at least lose a few games before going all gerg?

I heard some things about this kid. It’s early, but if he can quickly catch-up on the terminology, offense, etc. and stay healthy, we might’ve gotten a break here and a kid who can actually step in and help this year. Maybe not as a starter, but a swing player who can play a couple of positions and provide quality depth with no drop-off. Then in 2022, could be the starting center.

If we find a last-minute-addition like Alton Robinson for the OL, backflips!

Status
Not open for further replies.