New OL Addition (and latest transfer): Cody Shear | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Addition (and latest transfer): Cody Shear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah chemistry worries me about this team but other than these two transfers I’m not worried yet.

Last season I said over and over and over that the team had bad chemistry etc and everyone on here pretty much told me I was crazy.

Now the report comes out that the locker room has some bad chemistry and it’s crickets.

Chemistry falls on the coach IMO.

Dino needs to do A LOT and I mean A LOT to save his job IMO

i obviously missed it but where was the report about some bad chemistry in the locker room?

i think the leap has been made that people were not all in 100% to playing as bad chemistry.. people were not all on solution to this whole thing in every walk of life. Pretty sure not everyone on Ala had the same thoughts on what was going on either. if they were playing a walk on QB and had no oline guys to get on the field they might also have had 2nd thoughts about all the effort they were expending to play thru this on top of all the stuff NY was going thru

i obviously missed it but where was the report about some bad chemistry in the locker room?

Nate Minks article, the players talk about how everything ripped the team apart. Can’t remember who is quoted but it’s one of the seniors and he said that the locker room was extremely divided and hates to say it. Part of the reason they all came back was to try to be a family again and erase last season.

1. We lost a kid who hasn’t played a down of CFB and was here a week
2. I’m not freaking out over losing a guy we didn’t even know we had last week
3. The portal is going to be a crap shoot; high school players get recruited over 2-3 years and are vetted in ways these kids are not
4. I think our numbers are way healthier than last year on the OL. Guys stayed, transfers became eligible, freshman class is talented
5. “Why leave roster spots open?” Why fill them with players who you don’t know just to fill space? Isn’t there risk there too? Like what happened here.
6. We lost a guy on his 3rd school who hasn’t played a down, a TE who thinks he’s a WR, and I’m not sure who the 3rd player is? I’m not sweating it
Yeah, kids are going to be shopping themselves left and right. Kids will kick tires on programs and Vice versa. All signs point to a better OL. Let’s save the hand wringing until we see the product.

Nate Minks article, the players talk about how everything ripped the team apart. Can’t remember who is quoted but it’s one of the seniors and he said that the locker room was extremely divided and hates to say it. Part of the reason they all came back was to try to be a family again and erase last season.
the fact they played thru those issues though points that it wasnt as divided though. they played a full season, handled all the injuries and testing and opt outs. Disagreeing is not always about being divided unless its politics it seems.,

Yeah, kids are going to be shopping themselves left and right. Kids will kick tires on programs and Vice versa. All signs point to a better OL. Let’s save the hand wringing until we see the product.
This kid wouldn’t have left if the OL was bad and needed better players, I can only think he got here, realized that getting playing time wasn’t going to be easy and left. He’s also a far way from home. Riding the pine after not playing for years while you’re across the country certainly has to be difficult.

Every high school recruit likewise "hasn't played a down of football". Would you be concerned if 3 of our freshmen quit the team after a week or two of camp?

Why not fill all our open roster spots after a year that we won only 1 game, and play most of the season with 4 college linemen? Don't you think we can get good enough kids to coach up into serviceable NCAA football players?

I mean, what kind of defeatism is that? "Oh, we couldn't get good enough players anyway."
They know those kids better and have a better relationship. If you’re advocating hitting the portal, you have to know this stuff is more likely. And losing kids the portal will be something to watch - obviously it’s happening more and more to every team. No idea how you judge any of that.

I think we have enough kids on the roster to coach up into a serviceable OL. Not a lot of guys want to transfer for depth lol. I don’t think it’s defeatist. They tried, it wasn’t a fit, move on.

They know those kids better and have a better relationship. If you’re advocating hitting the portal, you have to know this stuff is more likely. And losing kids the portal will be something to watch - obviously it’s happening more and more to every team. No idea how you judge any of that.

I think we have enough kids on the roster to coach up into a serviceable OL. Not a lot of guys want to transfer for depth lol. I don’t think it’s defeatist. They tried, it wasn’t a fit, move on.

Yeah I agree, I don’t think the staff is to blame on this one.

I think the kid got here and realized the situation wasn’t what he thought or maybe medically he determined he couldn’t play. There are a million reasons why it could have been.

it is what it is. Now if this turns into a very normal pattern…and we lose a couple more before we start THIS season, I’ll put it on the staff.

But as it appears now, it’s more of an anomaly

Yeah chemistry worries me about this team but other than these two transfers I’m not worried yet.

Last season I said over and over and over that the team had bad chemistry etc and everyone on here pretty much told me I was crazy.

Now the report comes out that the locker room has some bad chemistry and it’s crickets.

Chemistry falls on the coach IMO.

Dino needs to do A LOT and I mean A LOT to save his job IMO

Dude - we won 1 game last year. Everything was fine, we’re on an upward trajectory.

was there any sport or business that didnt have chemistry issues last yr?

I mean, we won 1 game. But yeah, chemistry issues aren’t a concern b/c everyone has them and everyone won 1 game last year too.

the fact they played thru those issues though points that it wasnt as divided though. they played a full season, handled all the injuries and testing and opt outs. Disagreeing is not always about being divided unless its politics it seems.,

How does winning one game prove it wasn’t that divided. Of course they showed up for all the games and played, that’s what all teams do.

How does winning one game prove it wasn’t that divided. Of course they showed up for all the games and played, that’s what all teams do.

I absolutely love this… Heres the direct quote

“Last year we were divided,” Jonathan said. “I hate to admit it. We didn’t have the family relationship.”
Yet we arguing if they were divided or not. This is literally from a player that was in the locker room. The chemistry was bad and I would be willing to bet it cost us a fair share of games.

It’s cool if players or anyone for that matter quits at the first sign of adversity one week into a long term endeavor to you.

Got it
Adversity? You're thinking about this all wrong.

The dude came here for a chance to start. This isn't some complex thing - it's basically a free agent signing that didn't pan out. He came looking to showcase himself, the staff was looking for a potential upgrade. It seems safe to assume the results weren't there for either of them. What does he owe anyone when the reason for him being here in the first place is quite apparent?

And long term endeavor? He's been here for two weeks.

Lol can’t get much worse

“Last year we were divided,” Jonathan said. “I hate to admit it. We didn’t have the family relationship.”
Yet we arguing if they were divided or not. This is literally from a player that was in the locker room. The chemistry was bad and I would be willing to bet it cost us a fair share of games.

I doubt the players in the locker room last year know better than some of our posters on here that have no inside knowledge.

All those other schools didn't play in NY. The "covid environment" wasn't the same at other schools in the conference.

I don’t disagree with that at all but I don’t see that as a reason for the team not being cohesive or divided. A good leader uses an opportunity like Covid to bring the team together, help each other through unprecedented times, support each other. It should have been an opportunity to take a team that might struggle to find wins and build chemistry.

the context was about covid. It wasn’t your typical bad chemistry locker room.

the context was about covid. It wasn’t your typical bad chemistry locker room.
We are in a different time of football. Players can and do leave much easier now so you can't compare this to past years. One kid that left was brought in last minute and we hoped could be piece to the puzzle, where he could push a starter for a job or be depth. Probably a wise decision by the staff but it unfortunately didn't work out. It can't be an easy thing to try and bring in a starting caliber OL for a 1-10 team and have it work out. And unfortunately it didn't. But I think we have more depth this year on the OL and things will work out, assuming we stay RELATIVELY healthy.

Wasn't the context also about black lives matter. There are quite a few reasons why last year didn't go so well. Injuries and depth certainly were one of them. I can see team chemistry being another one of them. It was stated some were not happy with how Dino addressed the issue, or didn't address the issue. I'm betting between COVID and the black lives matter issue, some on the team were not happy with Dino and that effected chemistry. Lots going on that people have strong opinions on and it is not easy for anybody to have a reaction to them and have everyone agree with it. Per Dino on August 13th, "I understand the disappointment expressed by members of the Syracuse Football Family and the Orange community for my delay in speaking out.

"To the entire Orange Nation, I am sorry. I needed to process, I needed to pray, I needed to talk to my wife, my daughters and my son-in-laws. I needed to speak to the 'Ohana and La Familia. I needed to listen to their pain while I processed my own."

Quite a bit of time has passed since then and hopefully Dino has raised the team chemistry back up to where he historically has had it. I have no reason to doubt that he didn't fix it.

We are in a different time of football. Players can and do leave much easier now so you can't compare this to past years. One kid that left was brought in last minute and we hoped could be piece to the puzzle, where he could push a starter for a job or be depth. Probably a wise decision by the staff but it unfortunately didn't work out. It can't be an easy thing to try and bring in a starting caliber OL for a 1-10 team and have it work out. And unfortunately it didn't. But I think we have more depth this year on the OL and things will work out, assuming we stay RELATIVELY healthy.

Wasn't the context also about black lives matter. There are quite a few reasons why last year didn't go so well. Injuries and depth certainly were one of them. I can see team chemistry being another one of them. It was stated some were not happy with how Dino addressed the issue, or didn't address the issue. I'm betting between COVID and the black lives matter issue, some on the team were not happy with Dino and that effected chemistry. Lots going on that people have strong opinions on and it is not easy for anybody to have a reaction to them and have everyone agree with it. Per Dino on August 13th, "I understand the disappointment expressed by members of the Syracuse Football Family and the Orange community for my delay in speaking out.

"To the entire Orange Nation, I am sorry. I needed to process, I needed to pray, I needed to talk to my wife, my daughters and my son-in-laws. I needed to speak to the 'Ohana and La Familia. I needed to listen to their pain while I processed my own."

Quite a bit of time has passed since then and hopefully Dino has raised the team chemistry back up to where he historically has had it. I have no reason to doubt that he didn't fix it.

But - have they had the picnics?
The kumbaya meetings?
;)

That quote is from an article about Covid and the killings of black men and woman. It has nothing to do with chemistry. They were struggling with how to handle play and practice in a covid world. They were unhappy with social issues and Yes unhappy HCDB didnt make a stronger statement about them. but the article is also about hope and family, not dissatisfaction. It is about why so many Seniors decided to return this season. They werent satisfied with how things ended. They werent satisfied with themselves as well as the the team. They believe that the Team, Syracuse, and themselves deserved much better. And they came back to do just that, to bring Family back, to bring Ohana back. This isnt a Coach Q situation. Its the exact opposite. The players arent fleeing like they are from womans hoops. They are staying, standing, and fighting for there FAMILY.

I don’t disagree with that at all but I don’t see that as a reason for the team not being cohesive or divided. A good leader uses an opportunity like Covid to bring the team together, help each other through unprecedented times, support each other. It should have been an opportunity to take a team that might struggle to find wins and build chemistry.
Last year, becuase of covid, was a stressful year. The covid restrictions were probably more stringent for Syracuse than other members of the conference. Stress can cause changes in personality...irritability, frustration, hostility, anger, agressive feelings and behavior, reduced work efficiency or productivity.
Circumstances can distort individual personalities.

Also Shear had numerous concussions and other injuries before arriving at SU. Perhaps the answer lies there and not with the coaches who offered him an opportunity.

My kingdom to get back to that peaceful time on the board when we blamed everything on Dr. Tucker.

My kingdom to get back to that peaceful time on the board when we blamed everything on Dr. Tucker.
Sorry, it's my understanding Shear wasn't DQed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom