New OL Addition (and latest transfer): Cody Shear | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Addition (and latest transfer): Cody Shear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm troubled by this. I don't get all the joking, all the dismissive attitude.

We have "not enough" line depth on either side of the ball. 3 guys, including the TE, have left in a week.

What the heck is going on here? How do you chase away players that quickly?

I am going to be mad as hell if we're 4 games into the season, and we don't have enough linemen, or enough of any position where so many people transferred away.
As someone who has frequently quit things in life rather quickly, I can assure you it’s rarely about them, but usually the person quitting. Some people quit when faced with adversity - I frequently did in my younger years. We live and we learn. I highly doubt that the coaching staff or team pushed this kid out so quickly, given his track record of transferring and injuries. Hopefully a younger guy takes advantage of the opportunity.

Wonder if he was on scholarship or just welcomed to effectively try out and told he'd get a scholarship if he cracked the 2 deep?

We have "not enough" line depth on either side of the ball. 3 guys, including the TE, have left in a week.

I am going to be mad as hell if we're 4 games into the season, and we don't have enough linemen, or enough of any position where so many people transferred away.

chase away?

Why the immediate blame shifting to the staff lol? It wasn’t a fit for whatever reason from someone’s perspective. Not worth guessing and blaming people

Why the immediate blame shifting to the staff lol? It wasn’t a fit for whatever reason from someone’s perspective. Not worth guessing and blaming people

I'm reminding you that the staff didn't even fill the roster they were allowed to have. They didn't even come close.

They lost way more guys to the portal than the number they recruited, and the day that an article comes out from Nate Mink saying the chemistry was terrible last year is not a great look as 3 more kids in positions of need leave the program after just a couple weeks. I mean, that's not normal.

Sure, it's always the individual who leaves, but why are we losing guys who we appear to need so badly?

I swear, after playing a season without 5 healthy offensive linemen, we lose 3 in a week, and yes, I am concerned. We lost some very promising players to the portal, and they have not been adequately replaced.

Why leave roster spots open? When they start complaining in the papers that they don't have enough healthy bodies, and we are slipping to a 3 or 4 win season, just fire them already.

I can't bear how this coaching staff seems to project competence, but sucks at so many basic things, like play calling, teaching blocking & tackling, and have a full roster. It's freaking year SIX. I am tired of this stuff. I am glad he has won a handful of great games. But it's time to step the hell up and BE COMPETENT this year.

Not having a full roster to begin with, and then losing a half dozen more kids at the beginning of August camp is just a sign that something is not right.

I'm reminding you that the staff didn't even fill the roster they were allowed to have. They didn't even come close.

They lost way more guys to the portal than the number they recruited, and the day that an article comes out from Nate Mink saying the chemistry was terrible last year is not a great look as 3 more kids in positions of need leave the program after just a couple weeks. I mean, that's not normal.

Sure, it's always the individual who leaves, but why are we losing guys who we appear to need so badly?

I swear, after playing a season without 5 healthy offensive linemen, we lose 3 in a week, and yes, I am concerned. We lost some very promising players to the portal, and they have not been adequately replaced.

Why leave roster spots open? When they start complaining in the papers that they don't have enough healthy bodies, and we are slipping to a 3 or 4 win season, just fire them already.

I can't bear how this coaching staff seems to project competence, but sucks at so many basic things, like play calling, teaching blocking & tackling, and have a full roster. It's freaking year SIX. I am tired of this stuff. I am glad he has won a handful of great games. But it's time to step the hell up and BE COMPETENT this year.

Not having a full roster to begin with, and then losing a half dozen more kids at the beginning of August camp is just a sign that something is not right.
1. We lost a kid who hasn’t played a down of CFB and was here a week
2. I’m not freaking out over losing a guy we didn’t even know we had last week
3. The portal is going to be a crap shoot; high school players get recruited over 2-3 years and are vetted in ways these kids are not
4. I think our numbers are way healthier than last year on the OL. Guys stayed, transfers became eligible, freshman class is talented
5. “Why leave roster spots open?” Why fill them with players who you don’t know just to fill space? Isn’t there risk there too? Like what happened here.
6. We lost a guy on his 3rd school who hasn’t played a down, a TE who thinks he’s a WR, and I’m not sure who the 3rd player is? I’m not sweating it

If we agree that the chemistry was horrible last year, what’s the upside of keeping someone who doesn’t want to be here? Should we make concessions to the player to make it work? Keep them higher on the depth chart than they deserve? Don’t enforce the same accountability? How’s that gonna work out with chemistry?

3?

Come on guys the last time the kid played ball Eric was our starting QB. He was a long shot at best.

Quit like a 9 year old because he wasn’t anointed a spot on the two deep. Good riddance.
I don’t understand the “spoiled brat” lens people look at for every transfer. Do you understand how hard these guys work?

And why would a guy from Oregon who has played for schools on the West Coast come to Syracuse as a Redshirt Senior only to be third string? Guy was brought in as a mercenary, a flier to see if he could elevate the offensive line.

He didn’t come here for depth. He came for exposure that he didn’t think he was going to get at ASU. These guys have a limited shelf life, and they all know it. So why would he continue to take the punishment if football isn’t going to work out, especially amongst a team of strangers that he owes nothing to?

I don’t understand the “spoiled brat” lens people look at for every transfer. Do you understand how hard these guys work?

And why would a guy from Oregon who has played for schools on the West Coast come to Syracuse as a Redshirt Senior only to be third string? Guy was brought in as a mercenary, a flier to see if he could elevate the offensive line.

He didn’t come here for depth. He came for exposure that he didn’t think he was going to get at ASU. These guys have a limited shelf life, and they all know it. So why would he continue to take the punishment if football isn’t going to work out, especially amongst a team of strangers that he owes nothing to?
He quit one week into the commitment he made to a school, team and coaches. I feel as bad about him leaving as I do the freshman TE that left a week into preseason, which is not at all. I think they did the team a favore.

Good luck and Godspeed to both of them but I’m glad they are gone if they quit at the first sight of adversity.

Come on guys the last time the kid played ball Eric was our starting QB. He was a long shot at best.
Exactly how I looked at him. If it worked out that he could provide some depth, great. But I wasn't exactly holding my breath based on his history.

He quit one week into the commitment he made to a school, team and coaches. I feel as bad about him leaving as I do the freshman TE that left a week into preseason, which is not at all. I think they did the team a favore.

Good luck and Godspeed to both of them but I’m glad they are gone if they quit at the first sight of adversity.
So players have no rights and are indebted to everyone else, even at the expense of their own happiness? And if they do what is best for themselves, they are dead to you?

Got it.

So players have no rights and are indebted to everyone else, even at the expense of their own happiness? And if they do what is best for themselves, they are dead to you?

Got it.
It’s cool if players or anyone for that matter quits at the first sign of adversity one week into a long term endeavor to you.

Got it

1. We lost a kid who hasn’t played a down of CFB and was here a week
2. I’m not freaking out over losing a guy we didn’t even know we had last week
3. The portal is going to be a crap shoot; high school players get recruited over 2-3 years and are vetted in ways these kids are not
4. I think our numbers are way healthier than last year on the OL. Guys stayed, transfers became eligible, freshman class is talented
5. “Why leave roster spots open?” Why fill them with players who you don’t know just to fill space? Isn’t there risk there too? Like what happened here.
6. We lost a guy on his 3rd school who hasn’t played a down, a TE who thinks he’s a WR, and I’m not sure who the 3rd player is? I’m not sweating it

Every high school recruit likewise "hasn't played a down of football". Would you be concerned if 3 of our freshmen quit the team after a week or two of camp?

Why not fill all our open roster spots after a year that we won only 1 game, and play most of the season with 4 college linemen? Don't you think we can get good enough kids to coach up into serviceable NCAA football players?

I mean, what kind of defeatism is that? "Oh, we couldn't get good enough players anyway."

Every high school recruit likewise "hasn't played a down of football". Would you be concerned if 3 of our freshmen quit the team after a week or two of camp?

Why not fill all our open roster spots after a year that we won only 1 game, and play most of the season with 4 college linemen? Don't you think we can get good enough kids to coach up into serviceable NCAA football players?

I mean, what kind of defeatism is that? "Oh, we couldn't get good enough players anyway."
Shear hadn't seen the field in four years. Not the same as a HS kid who was just playing last year not seeing a down of CFB yet.

Also Shear had numerous concussions and other injuries before arriving at SU. Perhaps the answer lies there and not with the coaches who offered him an opportunity.

If we agree that the chemistry was horrible last year, what’s the upside of keeping someone who doesn’t want to be here? Should we make concessions to the player to make it work? Keep them higher on the depth chart than they deserve? Don’t enforce the same accountability? How’s that gonna work out with chemistry?

Nobody is arguing for "keeping players against their will" or anything ridiculous like that.

It's about the decision making process of the staff. I remember when we used to take flyers on superior athletes who might not qualify academically. When you're trying to upgrade your athleticism, you take a couple chances.

One would think that the current staff are targeting players who actually want to be here, not just those who might not qualify. That's my concern. How do you take commitments from so many kids who decide, "nah, this isn't for me"?

I get a sense that the culture problems behind the scenes are deeper than we realize. I don't want to say this is turning into a Coach Q situation where the entire team turned on him, but I am not getting the warm and fuzzy feelings of hope and joy that ordinarily accompany the start of the season.

Nobody is arguing for "keeping players against their will" or anything ridiculous like that.

It's about the decision making process of the staff. I remember when we used to take flyers on superior athletes who might not qualify academically. When you're trying to upgrade your athleticism, you take a couple chances.

One would think that the current staff are targeting players who actually want to be here, not just those who might not qualify. That's my concern. How do you take commitments from so many kids who decide, "nah, this isn't for me"?

I get a sense that the culture problems behind the scenes are deeper than we realize. I don't want to say this is turning into a Coach Q situation where the entire team turned on him, but I am not getting the warm and fuzzy feelings of hope and joy that ordinarily accompany the start of the season.

Yeah chemistry worries me about this team but other than these two transfers I’m not worried yet.

Last season I said over and over and over that the team had bad chemistry etc and everyone on here pretty much told me I was crazy.

Now the report comes out that the locker room has some bad chemistry and it’s crickets.

Chemistry falls on the coach IMO.

Dino needs to do A LOT and I mean A LOT to save his job IMO

they dont even do that as much now since you lose the scholie if the kid doesnt qualify. so now that wait it out usually.

As someone who has frequently quit things in life rather quickly, I can assure you it’s rarely about them, but usually the person quitting. Some people quit when faced with adversity - I frequently did in my younger years. We live and we learn. I highly doubt that the coaching staff or team pushed this kid out so quickly, given his track record of transferring and injuries. Hopefully a younger guy takes advantage of the opportunity.

Especially when they're are more avenues to "quit" and find a different situation, now.

Don't we have to get back below 85 scollies for 2022? You can't bring in a ton of guys for just one season and then kick them off for 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom