New OL Coach: Mike Schmidt from SDSU | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Coach: Mike Schmidt from SDSU

Interesting take from their fans. More positive then negative. Placed poor play calling on oc because teams stacked the box knowing it was run. Did have issues with pass blocking with third and long but said could have been qb.
DB took his time with this hire so I am hopeful he will turn the line around.
We have issues pass blocking every down and it also could be the QB

but hope springs eternal

CNY native Herb Hand just took a job at UCF.

Wonder if we ever had any interest at SU? He’s had some big time jobs.

Looking into it more, SDSU averaged 2.9 yards per carry over the past 3 years ( SU was 3.8, Buffalo was 5.9).
College Football Stats - College FB Team Yards per Rush Attempt on TeamRankings.com
Sack % was 6.12 (SU was 10.53-largely thanks to Dungey IMO, Buffalo (12.9)
I don’t think the stats on that web site are remotely accurate.

According to the official NCAA web site for football statistics, SD State averaged 4.47 ypc last season, 3.41 ypc the previous and 4.05 the year before that. They never were close to a 2.9 ypc number in any of these seasons.

FYI, going back further...

In 2017, they averaged 5.71 ypc. That was good for 11th in the country.

In 2016, they averaged 5.79 ypc. That was good for 7th in the country.

In 2015, they averaged 4.84 ypc, which was 35th in the country.

In 2014, they averaged 5.43 ypc. That was good for 13th in the country.

These numbers match what the San Diego State fans were saying...they had so much success rushing the ball that teams have started to stack the box to stop it.

I don’t think the stats on that web site are remotely accurate.

According to the official NCAA web site for football statistics, SD State averaged 4.47 ypc last season, 3.41 ypc the previous and 4.05 the year before that. They never were close to a 2.9 ypc number in any of these seasons.

FYI, going back further...

In 2017, they averaged 5.71 ypc. That was good for 11th in the country.

In 2016, they averaged 5.79 ypc. That was good for 7th in the country.

In 2015, they averaged 4.84 ypc, which was 35th in the country.

In 2014, they averaged 5.43 ypc. That was good for 13th in the country.

These numbers match what the San Diego State fans were saying...they had so much success rushing the ball that teams have started to stack the box to stop it.

I looked through it again and you are correct. The website had several mistakes-Wish I didn't post it.
Below is a more accurate website and I believe have the accurate rushing numbers from his last 6 years at SDSU. Much better-2019 was an outlier.
2020-4.6 Yards per Carry
2019-3.4
2018-4.1
2017-5.7
2016-5.8
2015-4.8
2020 Team Offense | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Last edited:
Plus, Syracuse has a climate that is a lot more comfortable for larger men
Nah. SanDiego is very comfortable.

Low 70s and sun, with gentle breeze

Absolutely beautiful

So got a question money3189 , when he is talking double team what is up with the flipper arm. Why not throw hand. Ur flipper coming up is no where near as strong as a hand punch. Cavanaugh taught same thing. I totally from a physics standpoint disagree about this. What’s ur thoughts or anyone that may know more than I.

Last edited by a moderator:
So got a question money, when he is talking double team what is up with the flipper arm. Why not throw hand. Ur flipper coming up is no where near as strong as a hand punch. Cavanaugh taught same thing. I totally from a physics standpoint disagree about this. What’s ur thoughts or anyone that may know more than I.
Its about maximizing surface area. You're not "punching" with the flipper. You're driving the entire force of your body through the defender. When done properly, its more like being hit with a Mac Truck, instead of a sports car. Why he called it a "shoulder spear". The mass and velocity of your entire body is delivered through your shoulder.

Much debate over which is better. When you absolutely must move a defender, its an effective technique. You'll see it in Wing T, all day. Nowadays, not so much, but you might see it goal line. If you ask most defenders? They'd rather go against hand blocking than shoulder blocking. Some coaches will throw in shoulder blocking, just because defenders hate it. Effective shoulder blocking can be more punishing than hand blocking.

Oline coaches will argue which is better. Either way,, its another effective technique to beat your guy.

So got a question money, when he is talking double team what is up with the flipper arm. Why not throw hand. Ur flipper coming up is no where near as strong as a hand punch. Cavanaugh taught same thing. I totally from a physics standpoint disagree about this. What’s ur thoughts or anyone that may know more than I.
Im not a line guy so you probably know just as much as I do but I think its about the distance of the inside shade. It will allows the covered lineman to combo off to a LB. Some one else can explain it better than I can. There lots of articles and videos that can be shared on here but Ive heard the term before and I think its commonly used.

For those that prefer shoulder blocking.

Let's say you and I are about to get into a fight. Im bigger, stronger, and obviously more attractive. Do you punch me, or do you lower your shoulder, take 3 steps and try to drop me to the ground? I'd take the latter, because it maximizes my assets.

An effective shoulder block is supposed to work like that. Land it too far from the center? The defender can roll off. Do it wrong, and you don't develop enough force, etc... like any tool, its effective when used properly.

You'll see this used more often at the HS level. Our HS only shoulder blocks. A HS can't guarantee a stream of large athletic linemen, but it can guarantee good line coaching. In this way, a smaller lineman can still be effective vs. A bigger defender.

Last edited:
Its about maximizing surface area. You're not "punching" with the flipper. You're driving the entire force of your body through the defender. When done properly, its more like being hit with a Mac Truck, instead of a sports car. Why he called it a "shoulder spear". The mass and velocity of your entire body is delivered through your shoulder.

Much debate over which is better. When you absolutely must move a defender, its an effective technique. You'll see it in Wing T, all day. Nowadays, not so much, but you might see it goal line. If you ask most defenders? They'd rather go against hand blocking than shoulder blocking. Some coaches will throw in shoulder blocking, just because defenders hate it. Effective shoulder blocking can be more punishing than hand blocking.

Oline coaches will argue which is better. Either way,, its another effective technique to beat your guy.

For those that prefer shoulder blocking.

Let's say you and I are about to get into a fight. Im bigger, stronger, and obviously more attractive. Do you punch me, or do you lower your shoulder, take 3 steps and try to drop me to the ground? I'd take the latter, because it maximizes my assets.

An effective shoulder block is supposed to work like that. Land it too far from the center? The defender can roll off. Do it wrong, and you don't develop enough force, etc... like any tool, its effective when used properly.

You'll see this used more often at the HS level. Our HS only shoulder blocks. A HS can't guarantee a stream of large athletic linemen, but it can guarantee good line coaching. In this way, a smaller lineman can still be effective vs. A bigger defender.
This is good stuff. Thank you

This is good stuff. Thank you
In youth football, shoulder blocking helps keep the kid low, and not get thrown around by a bigger defender. The "flipper" is set as aggressively as possible. Of course, this can result in delivering it as an upper cut to the guys chin, with a forearm, and effectively knocking his block off. Ohh well. Its a legal block, and they hate it.

Another positive for Schmidt's credibility with players and recruits is he's had 3 OL drafted since 2015, which I think is 3 more than we've had since that time.
You have to go all the way back to 2009 for us to match that...

Guys keep in mind that this technique is specific for zone blocking. It’s not used for all run plays. The power in the punch is not as important than moving together horizontally while climbing to the second level. Knowing when to release onto the linebacker after the combo. That’s what creates the lanes and the cutbacks.

Last edited:
There still hasn't been an official announcement, right?

I'm not getting too excited, yet.
Using Syracuse to get a pay raise at SDSU perhaps or lawyers just reviewing paper at this point?

35038142-E4B2-493B-9271-23F58E7E4FFA.gif

I figure the contact is already done. After arnet there was never going to be any information coming out until a deal was done. DB probably waiting to make the announcement.

well said. My experiencing coaching in a lower classification down south; undersized OLs love the flipper technique, and like you said, we were in a wing t based offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom