New OL Coach: Mike Schmidt from SDSU | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Coach: Mike Schmidt from SDSU

One thing the starting OL this year won’t be is undersized.
With a new Oline coach no guarantee who the starting 5 will be. Also may add one or two bodies after spring. The 5 that pick up the new Oline coaches instruction the best and work the best together will be the starters.

With a new Oline coach no guarantee who the starting 5 will be. Also may add one or two bodies after spring. The 5 that pick up the new Oline coaches instruction the best and work the best together will be the starters.
I will say that San Diego State had a lot of starters on the OL that were seniors. I think 4 of the 5 starters.

They all presumably retain a year of eligibility and could transfer and be eligible immediately.

Zach Thomas made first team All Mountain West and Kyle Spalding was second team. Both played OT.

I wonder if either would like to play football another year at the P5 level and see how they stack up against the best players in the country?

He interestingly looks like the little brother of this guy. Extra board points for anyone who knows who this is.
* Don’t forget, you can now claim your board points and convert them to gift cards to be used on advertisements you get visiting the page. Contact your local admin for details. Gift cards also come in an unlabeled envelope for those of you that get “interesting” ads.

2D28E180-DA58-429F-B599-717C8702C8DC.jpeg

He interestingly looks like the little brother of this guy. Extra board points for anyone who knows who this is.
* Don’t forget, you can now claim your board points and convert them to gift cards to be used on advertisements you get visiting the page. Contact your local admin for details. Gift cards also come in an unlabeled envelope for those of you that get “interesting” ads.

View attachment 196765

That ain't Frank from American Pickers.

View attachment 196765

no neck Ed is everything

well said. My experiencing coaching in a lower classification down south; undersized OLs love the flipper technique, and like you said, we were in a wing t based offense.
For those that don't know, we already use this technique.

15 seasons of wing T, and I rather enjoy a well executed shoulder block. My understanding is that Cav's priority may have been maximizing surface area. It's what its for, after all. A Wing T coach may stress winding it up(flipper), and bringing it up as aggressively as possible. It's still not a punch, but if it catches a chin or something on the way up? I appreciate the extra violence.

If you haven't seen it? You probably don't watch line play. AND 65% of oline coaches only teach hands. 13% only teach shoulder. 22% teach both. I appreciate that we do both, but they need to be effective. I for one, will smile if Schmidt teaches the more violent Wing T method, for our limited use.

Last edited:

View attachment 196765

It’s Mickey Dolenz “before” picture.

I checked the experience for all the assistant coaches on staff. None have been special teams coordinators before.

Agree with your speculation on Reno. He appears to have a little less on his plate than the other coaches. Also, he has been on staff for a long time and should be aware of how we have handled special teams in the past.

I doubt one of the new coaches will get it. They will have their hands full learning the new schemes.

But who knows, maybe someone has a strong interest and a hidden background here.

It looks to me as though Dino really valued teaching ability and experience when he chose the new assistants. Both have been coaching in the same place for more than a decade and are known for their ability to develop players.
I have a suspicion that Blair Cavanaugh is going to play a role here. He's been special teams assistant for a couple years, iirc, and should know every aspect of Lustig's philosophy. He's been pumping special teams stuff on social media, and despite his father's departure? I think he's staying, and it offers us some continuity, even if NCAA rules demand we give that title to someone else.

Very pleased with this hire. Results speak volumes and this coach has had nothing but excellent results. As another poster noted SU must have offered both a significant increase in salary and a 2 year guarantee as there is no way he leaves SD for SU without both. Super glad Lynch didn't get moved back as we need a complete overhaul of the OL position group. Great hire.

I will say that San Diego State had a lot of starters on the OL that were seniors. I think 4 of the 5 starters.

They all presumably retain a year of eligibility and could transfer and be eligible immediately.

Zach Thomas made first team All Mountain West and Kyle Spalding was second team. Both played OT.

I wonder if either would like to play football another year at the P5 level and see how they stack up against the best players in the country?
It would be nice, but a very bad look.

I have a suspicion that Blair Cavanaugh is going to play a role here. He's been special teams assistant for a couple years, iirc, and should know every aspect of Lustig's philosophy. He's been pumping special teams stuff on social media, and despite his father's departure? I think he's staying, and it offers us some continuity, even if NCAA rules demand we give that title to someone else.
Makes sense. Our special teams have been the best unit on the team for a long time. Continuity is important here. Wouldn’t be surprised if he was given a raise or a promise to get elevated to special teams coordinator at some point. Might end up the actual coordinator without the title.

It would be nice, but a very bad look.
What is bad about it, especially if these guys were planning on taking their degrees and leaving SD State anyway?

I have read some articles on the Aztecs and it appears the staff was not planning on having any of the seniors return.

San Diego State has a nice program and the Mountain West is not a bad conference. But it isn’t the ACC.

Giving these kids a chance to work with P5 facilities, play a P5 schedule in one of the best conferences in the country against some of the best players in the country should be perceived as a ‘bad look’. If can only help them.

And they would get credits, maybe even a grad degree from a much more prestigious university...

i don’t know if they are good enough to play here, I don’t know if they want to continue their education, and if so, I don’t know if they would want to do so in an environment so different than what they are used to. I believe one of them grew up in Michigan so he at least shpukd be used to the cold and the snow.

What is bad about it, especially if these guys were planning on taking their degrees and leaving SD State anyway?

I have read some articles on the Aztecs and it appears the staff was not planning on having any of the seniors return.

San Diego State has a nice program and the Mountain West is not a bad conference. But it isn’t the ACC.

Giving these kids a chance to work with P5 facilities, play a P5 schedule in one of the best conferences in the country against some of the best players in the country should be perceived as a ‘bad look’. If can only help them.

And they would get credits, maybe even a grad degree from a much more prestigious university...

i don’t know if they are good enough to play here, I don’t know if they want to continue their education, and if so, I don’t know if they would want to do so in an environment so different than what they are used to. I believe one of them grew up in Michigan so he at least shpukd be used to the cold and the snow.
I agree if they were planning to leave. It would look bad if a couple players follow their coach if they had planned to stay.

Very pleased with this hire. Results speak volumes and this coach has had nothing but excellent results. As another poster noted SU must have offered both a significant increase in salary and a 2 year guarantee as there is no way he leaves SD for SU without both. Super glad Lynch didn't get moved back as we need a complete overhaul of the OL position group. Great hire.
Hopefully he took a look at the returning talent and liked what he saw.

I would just take an official announcement after all this talk with Dino saying what he was looking for.

Does SU have room for anymore OL?
Did Willie Tyler reschedule his Virtual official visit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom