New rules on transfers may be coming in 2018 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New rules on transfers may be coming in 2018

Because it's not a job. I fear thar our best players would bolt. Oh hey Dungey would like nice suiting up for FSU his senior year wouldn't he. This rule could be a disaster frankly.

It's starting to get out of control in the lacrosse world. The best players from the worst teams move around.
So what?If they are not employees, then they can only be students.
They are just students who are also athletes. Like kids on music scholarships are students who are also musicians. As students, they should have the same rights as other students, including the right to transfer and get funding from another school.

Last edited:
So what?If they are not employees, then they can only be students.
They are just students who are also athletes. Like kids on music scholarships are students who are also musicians. As students, they should have the same rights as other students, including the right to transfer and get funding from another school.

They do have the right to transfer

Because it's not a job and kids are still free to transfer now. There is such a thing as noncompete clauses in the real world, and coaches have buyouts.

I fear that our best players would bolt. Oh hey Dungey would like nice suiting up for FSU his senior year wouldn't he. This rule could be a disaster frankly.

It's starting to get out of control in the lacrosse world. The best players from the worst teams move around.

All it does is further separate the haves for the have nots.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

This will turn college athletics into full blown free agency.

Because it's not a job and kids are still free to transfer now. There is such a thing as noncompete clauses in the real world, and coaches have buyouts.

I fear that our best players would bolt. Oh hey Dungey would like nice suiting up for FSU his senior year wouldn't he. This rule could be a disaster frankly.

Completely agree. I think the intent is good, but this is gonna cause all sorts of unintended problems. Recruiting will take place every year now for every player for all fours years. The 'haves" will always be "recruiting" other teams rosters to plug holes caused by injuries or suspensions/ kids being booted from programs. This will benefit a number of teams immensely...Syracuse will definitely not be one of them. Now we can worry about Tommy Devito walking every single year - and what if he kills it and Alabama or Ohio Sate comes calling to hire a ringer to plug a one year hole that is lacking in the QB area? Don't like it at all.

As others in the thread have stated, it would turn "smaller" schools into farm teams for the unscrupulous factories and their boosters. Player development? Hah! Let the wake forests and Colorado states of the world do that.

Watch the number of medical DQ's at Alabama, Tennessee, LSU go through the roof to make roster space for 3rd year guys from the MAC.

There is a flip side to this though. "Hey there Mr. Clemson 4* QB, i see Dabo just signed up a 5* QB for next year, you sure would look good in our shade of orange..."

This rule change is being designed to help the Big Boys first and foremost.

You watch in 10 years or so if this gets passed they will propose for mid-season transfers due to injuries for T.V. ratings. All about the billion$

No one has mentioned the GPA rule. If the required level is high enough, two things:
  • Lots of kids will be ineligible
  • It'll encourage kids to get a better education

Would be interesting to see how it plays out.

I think it's great for lateral, or downward transfers. The only way I see not making a farm team situation, is by still imposing the year penalty, for moving up, to the top teams... Then a graduated eligibility scale for the teams near the top...

Could actually improve the middle of the pack... Then you have to somehow give incentives to the poor... Worms worms worms...

I do think it can work, but there would have to be different rules based on performance. As if they'd vote for that...

Make sure your players do well enough in the classroom to stay eligible, but not so well that they can transfer without sitting a year. Now we'll have coaches pressuring professors to lower grades for players.

Seriously, though, this would kill college football and basketball because the big boys would destroy the middle class by picking off their recruits who turn out.

No one has mentioned the GPA rule. If the required level is high enough, two things:
  • Lots of kids will be ineligible
  • It'll encourage kids to get a better education

Would be interesting to see how it plays out.

the way around the gpa rule is to be a liberal arts major and to take art history and typing and whatever other gut class there is.

Such a cesspool. Big time college sports, why bother at a certain point. While it would be disguised as yet another decision for the student athlete it would open itself up to just more sleaze and corruption, we didn't think you were good enough 2 years ago but NOW well come over to OLD STATE U and we will take care of you

My question is "so what?". As much as I would like players to stay, if they were in the real world, in any other job, they would have no hurdles in moving to another job/company. For some reason, we hold college athletes to a different standard.

Such a cesspool. Big time college sports, why bother at a certain point. While it would be disguised as yet another decision for the student athlete it would open itself up to just more sleaze and corruption, we didn't think you were good enough 2 years ago but NOW well come over to OLD STATE U and we will take care of you

Don't they do that when they are recruiting the kids out of high school? It's not like they have a ton of open scholarships to offer kids already in school.

now he can come back and play next year
No thanks. I'm calling this the "millennial" proposal -- anything players want anytime for any reason. Team continuity will be out the window. Recruiting decisions will be impossible because rosters will be in constant flux. Sure, there will be "opportunities" in the chaos, but many of them will be to Cheat (tamper and illegally pay players). The big money schools will be able to use mid majors and lower P5 schools to skim (and then pay for) talent like the G-league. Players have a right to choose their school, sure, but how many times and with what protections in place? Are there no "commitments" any more that a school (and god forbid, fans) can rely on?

Last edited:
the way around the gpa rule is to be a liberal arts major and to take art history and typing and whatever other gut class there is.
Yes but schools will be less motivated to do that than they are now. I bet JOC's post is only partly tongue-in-cheek.

I'd like to see a transfer rule that helps promote parity..

I'd like to see a transfer rule that helps promote parity..

Yep. Limit scholarships available to transfers. If you can only take on so many a given year, it will help the bag men problem.

Maybe a point system? Finished 1, get 1 pt. 130, get 130. Save em up. Want an eligible QB? Need 65 pts... Or something like that...Sorta like a salary cap...yeah. It's a little silly.

Doesn't help with team building, though, or the expense in developing a player...

Anything they do, and I mean anything, has to come with deadlines. No way schools can deal with the nonsense we saw with TT on the first day of class -- unless they completely revamp the recruiting cycle (not likely). Kids should be able to play where they want, but the players and coaches left behind need to be prepared to carry on. And no one wants to see teams with big holes because a kid played games until the last minute. Tampering rules should also be enhanced to prevent abuses.

I have a number of concerns with this change (namely NCAA administrative management in general is nightmarish), but I think the largest is control of tampering. In the social media era, I just don't see how the NCAA will have any control whatsoever over it.

I'd say my second greatest concern, like you, is the timing/deadlines. It's difficult for a staff to manage a roster as it is - not sure how that will be set up such that roster management doesn't become nightmarish either.

One of the biggest positives I see is not penalizing kids that are coached out of their programs by a new coaching staff and then have to sit out a year upon transferring to a new school. That's not really fair for anyone involved. Coaches should have a path to easily turn over their rosters in those cases and the players getting turned over shouldn't get penalized for it.

Fine, it's not a job (which is arguable), any other student is free to leave, even those working in research areas. Research is highly competitive, as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom