New Update (Sorry folks its now a waiting game) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

New Update (Sorry folks its now a waiting game)

Strongly disagree
Been following this program since jim ringo was in the pro's. School has never been all in for football and basketball , always wanted to do things on the cheap. Hired Jake an Ivy league Football coach as AD, wanted to downgrade or do away with football. After Lewis, Danforth brought basketball back got lucky with Jim. Shaw and Jake with their get a life, and when Mac left went cheap with hiring of linebackers coach Paul. The idea of the school was always to be one of the Ivy League schools, and if they could they would still do away with football. I will always be a fan, but in reality they don't want to be a football power.

Neither of your points make sense. First our peers either do not have an indoor facility or just got one. So why would SU getting one 2-3 years from now be a reason to leave? Second we were will to pay "Charlie Strong" dollars to Holtz and HCRE when we "settled" on Marrone. So now 4 years later you are claiming we cannot afford that?

common TGD has done a great job at SU. the hiring of Robinson was a disaster but other than that what is the complaint? good gravy look at how far we have come from the days of Jake and and Ken. A new league with lots more money, state of the art basketball facility, huge improvements to the dome, recruits like Provo noticed the huge changes in facilities over just a few years ago when his brother was here. common the overall sports programs are so far ahead of where they were ten years ago its not funny. For god sakes the womens basketball team is recruiting top ten classes now. I dont like the NYC games much either but the sports revenue has increased in part because of this.

And my feelings on Met Life games are negative but I understand most alums don't live in CNY so he wants to put games in NY to keep alumni attending sporting events and its how he gets USC and ND on the schedule. I wish they could be in Cuse to sell more season tickets but oh well.
You choose to ignore the facts that:

1. The MetLife games were arranged prior to the ACC move.
In addition to some NYC exposure, they also provide extra revenue.
If SU already had the ACC move arranged the MetLife deal would've been different, or non-existent.
If the promoter isn't making money in the arrangement, it may well be cut short.

2. The ND arrangement was done to get more exposure and likely done as part of the MetLife arrangement.
ND likely wasn't going to go for a 1-1 deal.
Again, this was done in the pre-ACC days.
Hopefully ND games return to the Dome once the arrangement is complete,
Though I wouldn't be upset with 1-1-1 deals, even w/in the conference.
I hope that it won't be a 2-1-1 arrangement in ND's favor.

This is idiotic.

Marrone wants out to the NFL BECAUSE he wants more money for stuff?

If Marrone leaves for an NFL HC gig it's because he's getting an NFL HC gig. End story. The idea that he'd turn dowm an NFL HC gig if we had a new practice facility is so freakin' laughable it makes me think most of you don't have a shred of common sense.

If Marrone got an offer to coach in the SEC or Big Ten well THEN you can claim he's leaving due to facilities/program investment.

If Marrone is offered and accepts an NFL job, how does that prove anything you said. You think a half dozen teams are interested in him because the BOT won't pony up $25m? I'm betting if we had the best facilities in college football, teams would be interested in him.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

One doesn't have to do with the other, if things were all lined up, then it wouldn't matter how interested the NFL teams are. Obviously they aren't, and therefore why Marrone is listening.

It's not that hard to understand.

One doesn't have to do with the other, if things were all lined up, then it wouldn't matter how interested the NFL teams are. Obviously they aren't, and therefore why Marrone is listening.

It's not that hard to understand.

Go, do you seriously think that even if SU was putting the finishing touches on a multi-million dollar, state-of-the-art practice facility, doubled all the assistant's salaries, and sold 45K season tickets for next season, that Marrone would not leave to be head coach of an NFL team?

This is idiotic.

Marrone wants out to the NFL BECAUSE he wants more money for stuff?

If Marrone leaves for an NFL HC gig it's because he's getting an NFL HC gig. End story. The idea that he'd turn dowm an NFL HC gig if we had a new practice facility is so freakin' laughable it makes me think most of you don't have a shred of common sense.

If Marrone got an offer to coach in the SEC or Big Ten well THEN you can claim he's leaving due to facilities/program investment.

There have been plenty of college coaches who turned down NFL opportunities. And there are more than a few college coaches that have choosen to stay at smaller programs. It's not nearly as categorical as you make it.

His willingness to listen to other opportunities has a great deal to do with the growth of significant dissatisfaction over a number of things.

Go, do you seriously think that even if SU was putting the finishing touches on a multi-million dollar, state-of-the-art practice facility, doubled all the assistant's salaries, and sold 45K season tickets for next season, that Marrone would not leave to be head coach of an NFL team?

In year four, if he had the same feelings about his situation here that he did coming in, sure. Problem is 1) we'll never know, and 2) any illusions about going back to the alma mater have been blown away.

Maybe, maybe not...
But I'll tell you one thing for sure. The lack of support and funding makes his decision a helluva lot easier

There have been plenty of college coaches who turned down NFL opportunities. And there are more than a few college coaches that have choosen to stay at smaller programs. It's not nearly as categorical as you make it.

His willingness to listen to other opportunities has a great deal to do with the growth of significant dissatisfaction over a number of things.

said perfectly...you don't interview for a job if you're very happy where you are.

Who wins in Cleveland or KC?

In year four, if he had the same feelings about his situation here that he did coming in, sure. Problem is 1) we'll never know, and 2) any illusions about going back to the alma mater have been blown away.

OK.

I disagree but there's no way of knowing, obviously. I don't think Marrone is unlike any of the hundreds of uber-ambitious coaches who landed many a sweet gig...on their way to landing the pinnacle gig, an NFL HC job.

I mean is Marrone fundamentally different from Pete Carroll, Jim Harbaugh, Nick Saban, etc.? They all had jobs for life at schools that were well-supported and well-funded, and left for the ultimate prize anyway.

NFL is the pinnacle job. But only at about 65 to 75% of the teams. Why do you think Cleveland fans refers to their stadium as " the factory of sadness"? No head coach will turn that place around. Same goes for KC, rumors out of there is that it's a hell hole for employees and players.

Marrone needs to talk to Coach Mac about his decision to leave SU for a head coaching job in the NFL. Has anyone ever asked Mac if he regretted that move? I hope Marrone and his family don't think life in the NFL will be like it was with the Jets and Saints. Head coaching and assistant jobs are worlds apart.

Have to tell you, we aren't losing Vince Lombardi. If he wants to go, God bless him. And I wish him real good luck. But 6 weeks ago, it would not have been that big a deal to a lot of people here. He has done a very good job here. Whatever happens, happens. There are a lot of guys that can coach this team.

Marrone needs to talk to Coach Mac about his decision to leave SU for a head coaching job in the NFL. Has anyone ever asked Mac if he regretted that move? I hope Marrone and his family don't think life in the NFL will be like it was with the Jets and Saints. Head coaching and assistant jobs are worlds apart.
he has stated (recently) that he regretted it

my God its the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE people.

apparently Marrone envisions himself as a COACH.

and not a teacher or developer of men.

and thats fine.

and ALL COACHES want to be HEAD COACH in the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE.

and Marrone doesnt have the cache to tell buffalo or cleveland or kansas city...NO. if offered, he goes.

a guy like him wont be offered the New York Giants, the cowboys, steelers, packers etc.

those jobs are now reserved for the bigshots, or for 'safe' hires because theyve already had their tires kicked by the team as an assistant.

recruiting sucks, COACHES just want to COACH.

the best pro recruiting story i can offer is Joe Torre to Mike Mussina. after the Yankees won their 3rd straight World Series and 4th in 5 years, he calls up Mike and asks him to sign as a FA. this is while hes in his office smoking a cuban and having a glass of scotch, as the players go nuts in the locker room. thats how pros recruit. they dont go to east bumble 88x a year to get 25 kids to sign and hope they work out.

Mike Tomlin, Jason Garrett and Mike McCarthy weren't big timers. They were offered and excepted knowing they would be in a good situation. I'm not trying to argue with you, but certain head coaching jobs in the NFL are more appealing and better success rate.

DM isn't an idiot though. He knew what he was getting himself into, if he believed that would all be getting done by year 4 i would be seriously shocked. He knew how the University operated, and knew the state the program was in. He had to figure he needed to build a winning program before the support started to flow back into the program. Maybe he realized that the college game just wasn't for him. He isn't crazy about all the non football stuff, and just wants to coach. He's an NFL guy more then a college.

He's a football coach, not a martyr.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

they a
Mike Tomlin, Jason Garrett and Mike McCarthy weren't big timers. They were offered and excepted knowing they would be in a good situation. I'm not trying to argue with you, but certain head coaching jobs in the NFL are more appealing.

they all fit the "had their tires kicked as an assistant" model. What I'd really like to know is what the Saints woulda done if they couldn't sign Payton. They know better than anyone. They are all giving him endorsements now, but would they have come calling if their position was open? Who knows.

they a

they all fit the "had their tires kicked as an assistant" model. What I'd really like to know is what the Saints woulda done if they couldn't sign Payton. They know better than anyone. They are all giving him endorsements now, but would they have come calling if their position was open? Who knows.
I understand, but they had less to risk than say a Todd Haley. They were "assistants with their tires kicked" going to great organization.

Of course. But I'm talking about Marrone, the guy who was an NFL OC, which is the step below NFL HC. He clearly had ambitions to be an NFL HC, otherwise he never would have risen to where he was prior to SU.

I've always thought that the notion he was going to be the next Boeheim was silly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom