New Update (Sorry folks its now a waiting game) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

New Update (Sorry folks its now a waiting game)

Speaking of Todd Haley after the KC debucle he is back in the head coaching hunt for the Arizona job. I wonder how he feels about the Cheifs organization? I guess at the end of the day it's money, you can't always have the perfect situation. If Marrone wants the pros he will leave.

Who wins in Cleveland or KC?

Marty Schottenheimer and Bill Belichick. :)

Seriously, those jobs aren't remotely comparable to being SU HC. No coach is winning a national title at SU. None. Zero. Will not happen in our lifetimes. Sorry, but that's reality.

A great coach could win a SB in Cleveland or KC.

Seriously, those jobs aren't remotely comparable to being SU HC. No coach is winning a national title at SU. None. Zero. Will not happen in our lifetimes. Sorry, but that's reality.

dick vermeil was the only one who comes to mind lol.

Defeatist.

No coach is winning a national title at SU. None. Zero. Will not happen in our lifetimes. Sorry, but that's reality.

I dunno about that. We had a solid team that could compete with most anyone in the country this year. We were a handful of players away from something really special. I'm not saying NC special, but certainly top 15.

A few more recruiting classes and I could've seen us as a perennial top 10 squad. With that, I could envision a trip to the NC.

Speaking of Todd Haley after the KC debucle he is back in the head coaching hunt for the Arizona job. I wonder how he feels about the Cheifs organization? I guess at the end of the day it's money, you can't always have the perfect situation. If Marrone wants the pros he will leave.
Not bad for a guy who never played a down of college ball.

I dunno about that. We had a solid team that could compete with most anyone in the country this year. We were a handful of players away from something really special. I'm not saying NC special, but certainly top 15.

A few more recruiting classes and I could've seen us as a perennial top 10 squad. With that, I could envision a trip to the NC.
But KC and Cleveland could win a Super Bowl with a great coach LOL. Now that's impossible.

When have we been a perennial top 10 squad?

The early 1960s?

But KC and Cleveland could win a Super Bowl with a great coach LOL. Now that's impossible.

BB was 11-5 in Cleveland the year before Art Modell moved the team to Baltimore. The Ravens won a SB a few years later. You think BB couldn't have won that SB in Cleveland?

Have to tell you, we aren't losing Vince Lombardi. If he wants to go, God bless him. And I wish him real good luck. But 6 weeks ago, it would not have been that big a deal to a lot of people here. He has done a very good job here. Whatever happens, happens. There are a lot of guys that can coach this team.

I think the thing that Scares people the most (including myself) is that if we can't keep Marrone who called Syracuse his "dream Job" then it's hard to believe we will become anything more than a Stepping Stone for other Coaches. If the school can't please one of there own, how will they please an outsider.

BB was 11-5 in Cleveland the year before Art Modell moved the team to Baltimore. The Ravens won a SB a few years later. You think BB couldn't have won that SB in Cleveland?
Lewis was a beast that year. That was like 5 years later they won a Super Bowl btw.

I disagree. There are people on this board who saw SU win a NC in football. Our lifetimes is a long time. Oregon sucked for a really long time. Notre Dame was really mediocre for 15 years. I know there are differences (money, history, boosters, whatever) but this never ever thing is way over the top.

I can understand saying it would be a longshot. But never say never. Look how close Dick MacPherson came. Not even I'm that cynical.

Although, it just occurred to me that we won the title in 1959. 1987 was 28 years after that. Next year is 26 years from 1987. Dang how time flies.

In year four, if he had the same feelings about his situation here that he did coming in, sure. Problem is 1) we'll never know, and 2) any illusions about going back to the alma mater have been blown away.

I like Marrone and truly hope he isn't offered an NFL gig and stays for purely selfish reasons.

But, the university just went through a HUGE Capital Campaign and as I understand it that all of the desired football facilities were part of that. If they couldn't manage to get donors on board then who ultimately is at fault for that? Doesn't Doug have to share at least part of the blame?

Could the "leaks" (assuming the leaks have an ulterior motive other than DM wanting an NFL gig) be designed not just to get the BOT on board with the contract salary issues but also private donors on board with coughing up the monies needed for the facilities upgrades, or as CTO pointed out the amount needed to at least begin the upgrades?

Cheers,
Neil

Question for the group. If HCDM had the best facilities in the ACC would he be interviewing for an NFL job?

Yes. You always take an interview for a position that offers upward mobility in your chosen profession. Doesn't mean you take an offer, or even get an offer, but you should at least take the interview.

private donors on board with coughing up the monies needed for the facilities upgrades, or as CTO pointed out the amount needed to at least begin the upgrades?

Cheers,
Neil

That's all that needs to be said. Everything else is just noise.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

That wasn't, and isn't EVER, going to happen here.

It was a solid schedule, but let's not get carried away.

I think the thing that Scares people the most (including myself) is that if we can't keep Marrone who called Syracuse his "dream Job" then it's hard to believe we will become anything more than a Stepping Stone for other Coaches. If the school can't please one of there own, how will they please an outsider.

EVERY school is a stepping stone to something. Saban used LSU as a stepping stone. Spurrier left Florida. Kelly will leave ND at some point. Carroll left USC. That's life right now. We need to accept that framework and find other ways to assure continuity.

gone

the admin will whiff

TGD may follow suit shortly thereafter

You are now in the lead for the 2013 Drama Queen trophy. It's just the beginning of the year, so there's a lot more of 2013 to go.
But you are off to an impressive start.

With the mods jumping all over me, didn't really want to post this but here goes (and yes from source - I hate this as much as anyone).

HCDM wants out unless things change dramatically. Every time he requests resources from (whoever you decide since i wont implicate some, not all, of the members of the BoT this time) its a major uphill battle - be it staff comp, facilities resources, contracts, etc. Need proof - ribbon boards for fans or upgraded locker rooms for players - if you give HCDM the choice on how to spend the money, what choice do you think he would make first? After 4 years, still no practice facility just for football (think Melo center - where is the football equivalent)?

He is just tired of fighting major uphill battles for minor things versus having an administration that supports football - I don't think he has ever asked for a blank check either, I am told HCDM is frugal. Remember he coached at GT & Tennessee - very little resistance to support football at those schools.

If the Bills offer, he is gone. Done. Game over. TGD knows this. Sorry folks.

However, if SU (powers at be) come back with a Charlie Strong level offer - by the weekend - he stays. It's that simple. Time will tell and we may never know the real truth - HCDM is such a professional he would never say anything bad about SU. All we can do is wait and see.

Sounds like BS to me from a source that thinks he knows what Marrone would do and why he would do it IF he had an offer.

Don't get me wrong. He started great. The last 8 years? 1 NFC championship game. If you want to hear a diatribe ask any eagles fan (the sane ones also apply) about him.

He's the best coach the Eagles have ever had. Ever.
He lost the team and it was time to go - but the man can coach, and if he can hit the reset button elsewhere, he will build a winner.
The laugh will be on us again when, like Vermeil, he goes and wins hardware elsewhere.

Lets put out this conspiracy theory . Who ever said its HCDM that wants to look at the NFL and TGD told him " look Doug we are not going to give you a new contract so you might wanna look at different alternatives". I'm just saying... :-/

Sounds like BS to me from a source that thinks he knows what Marrone would do and why he would do it IF he had an offer.

Chakka keeps implying two things in his posts that don't pass the smell test.

He thinks that Marrone was promised a "top 10" football facility four years ago -- "think Melo Center - where is the football equivalent?"

He also keeps implying that the BoT screwed over Marrone when they chose "ribbon boards for fans over upgraded locker rooms for players".

The fact is that SU just remodeled the entire football wing at Manley ... including new locker rooms and lounges for the players.

Makes we wonder what other details Chakka's "source" got 100% wrong.

Chakka keeps implying two things in his posts that don't pass the smell test.

He thinks that Marrone was promised a "top 10" football facility four years ago -- "think Melo Center - where is the football equivalent?"

He also keeps implying that the BoT screwed over Marrone when they chose "ribbon boards for fans over upgraded locker rooms for players".

The fact is that SU just remodeled the entire football wing at Manley ... including new locker rooms and lounges for the players.

Makes we wonder what other details Chakka's "source" got 100% wrong.

My experience is that people like to be considered to be "in the know". It makes them feel important or makes other people think that they aren't unimportant.

So let's say that Chaaka knows someone "on the Hill" maybe even in the SU Athletic Department. And that source is guessing at all this based on stuff that they "heard" or that they surmised. Remember, these people want to be considered as being "in the know". I can hear it now, "You work at SU. How can you not know what is going on?"

I worked at large corporations my whole life. When I got to a high enough position to actually know what the strategy was and what the politics were, I was shocked at how many rumors were either baseless or were at best based on a partial truth. But the rumors lived on because people love to tell them and pass them along.

If Marrone has a brain --- and I think he does --- he is not sharing his feelings and frustrations with anyone but his boss and maybe a few trusted confidants. If I were him, I'd have an informal line to McNabb.

Things are going in the right direction at SU ... so how disgruntled can DM be?

My experience is that people like to be considered to be "in the know". It makes them feel important or makes other people think that they aren't unimportant.

So let's say that Chaaka knows someone "on the Hill" maybe even in the SU Athletic Department. And that source is guessing at all this based on stuff that they "heard" or that they surmised. Remember, these people want to be considered as being "in the know". I can hear it now, "You work at SU. How can you not know what is going on?"

I worked at large corporations my whole life. When I got to a high enough position to actually know what the strategy was and what the politics were, I was shocked at how many rumors were either baseless or were at best based on a partial truth. But the rumors lived on because people love to tell them and pass them along.

If Marrone has a brain --- and I think he does --- he is not sharing his feelings and frustrations with anyone but his boss and maybe a few trusted confidants. If I were him, I'd have an informal line to McNabb.

Things are going in the right direction at SU ... so how disgruntled can DM be?

Although I agree with what you said there are many people associated with Marrone who would know what is going on up to this point. I would not be surprised if information has slowly trickled out from theses people. Coaches on the staff being prime examples who live in the community. They have lives, kids that play with neighborhood kids etc. I'm not saying all that info is valid but it may have been at one time. Ultimately we have to remember all of what is posted on here is speculation. It doesn't mean it's wrong but it has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom