New WR Coach: Terry Samuel | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

New WR Coach: Terry Samuel

I think Babers had Samuels in mind for different reasons. Besides providing things like fundamentals, route discipline/concepts he might have wanted someone that will keep Taj in check and get the most out of him. Taj and the other guys may thrive with a different personality in the room.

I think Reno Ferri and Lepak will be responsible for special teams.

LePak will serve as the Commodores special teams QC, per Lea. That means he’ll be working under ex-Syracuse assistant Justin Lustig. In short: Clark Lea came to the right place to build his specials teams staff.

Last edited:
So to confirm at this point, the two coaching staff positions still open at Syracuse are Oline and ST. Is that accurate? Reno is still showing as TE, Inside WR coach. Lynch is RB. I wonder if Lynch gets moved to Oline. Much easier filling in a RB coach. Plus Lynch is well regarded by the players. Just speculating, no published info or insider info.

So to confirm at this point, the two coaching staff positions still open at Syracuse are Oline and ST. Is that accurate? Reno is still showing as TE, Inside WR coach. Lynch is RB. I wonder if Lynch gets moved to Oline. Much easier filling in a RB coach. Plus Lynch is well regarded by the players. Just speculating, no published info or insider info.

You're only allowed 10 assistant coaches.

We lost Lustig and Cavanaugh, and hired Samuel.

We currently have 9 asst coaches on the staff, with one hire pending.

Somebody will be assigned ST duties along with his regular responsibilities.

Sterlin GilbertOffensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
Tony WhiteDefensive Coordinator
Chris AchuffLinebackers
Reno FerriTight Ends/Inside Receivers
Mike LynchRunning Backs
Nick MonroeSafeties/Nickelbacks
Vinson ReynoldsDefensive Line
Terrence SamuelWide Receivers Coach
Chip WestCornerbacks

You're only allowed 10 assistant coaches.

We lost Lustig and Cavanaugh, and hired Samuel.

We currently have 9 asst coaches on the staff, with one hire pending.

Somebody will be assigned ST duties along with his regular responsibilities.

Sterlin GilbertOffensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
Tony WhiteDefensive Coordinator
Chris AchuffLinebackers
Reno FerriTight Ends/Inside Receivers
Mike LynchRunning Backs
Nick MonroeSafeties/Nickelbacks
Vinson ReynoldsDefensive Line
Terrence SamuelWide Receivers Coach
Chip WestCornerbacks
So they could do a few things knowing that. They could shift Reno ST and have Samuel take all WRs/TE or maybe you give Lynch STs/RBs. I could see Lynch getting the nod here.

Baileys take eef. Crossed off the special teams coordinator list? That’s funny was Lepak going to coach OL?

Last edited:
Really hope lynch is not the Oline coach. He initially held that position when DB first came and Oline struggled. We need a home run hire for Oline.

So they could do a few things knowing that. They could shift Reno ST and have Samuel take all WRs/TE or maybe you give Lynch STs/RBs. I could see Lynch getting the nod here.
Could move ferri to ST. We do not need a full time TE coach the way we use TE.

Well crap. My understanding is that he contributed a lot of time and effort with special team units. Losing Lustig and now Lepak is disappointing. Let’s be honest Dino needs to win now or things are going to get ugly fast.

Really hope lynch is not the Oline coach. He initially held that position when DB first came and Oline struggled. We need a home run hire for Oline.
I would be shocked if that would happen. Dino knows he's now on borrowed time and doesn't have more rope to make a hire like that ala Kirk Martin. If he wanted to do that, it would have been announced already.

Acknowledging that both are important, which would be more important in our OLine coaching hire: Teaching technique or teaching to scheme? (I'm not getting into recruiting or other aspects of the job).
And, as far as Special Teams, where typically does that fit, if the coach has dual responsibilities (i.e., what position is the coach's other role)? Just curious...

I would try to replace lepak with the te coach that was just let go at Tenn. Not as the 10th coach need Oline but the Tenn coach was the head coach in ny high school and asa. Great recruiter. Held similar position as lepak at tenn prior to being promoted last year to te coach.

I would try to replace lepak with the te coach that was just let go at Tenn. Not as the 10th coach need Oline but the Tenn coach was the head coach in ny high school and asa. Great recruiter. Held similar position as lepak at tenn prior to being promoted last year to te coach.

I would get a strong OL coach recruiter. Or put Lynch back to OL, and hire a spitfire recruiter amd add another to the recruiting staff.

The better we recruit, the better our coaches will be pure and simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom