Next year | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Next year

The whole program has become entirely unwatchable. So here's what I've been doing for the past 4 years to minimize pain and suffering. I completely stopped watching anything live. I check the score the next morning and if they win then I will watch it on tape delay or DVR. If they lose, no heartburn, just move on. It's the least painful way.

Honestly, this doesn’t seem like a great collection of guys. Hate to lump them all together, but the lack of effort and control these “kids” show is beyond pathetic. We weren’t good the past couple of years, but at least they tried.
hard to tell what things are really like behind the scenes...have caught a lot of whiffs of things not being good...and the extreme blowouts also indicate somethings off

players blowing up on the coaches etc...

very bad body language etc

gotta be some disgrntled players behind the scenes and they might even be dragging the other guys down into their muck

in this era of NIL...it seems to me players giving up and not really trying will be more common - why should they care as much ? they get paid regardless

and if things dont work out just go milk another team

NIL is not good.

The whole program has become entirely unwatchable. So here's what I've been doing for the past 4 years to minimize pain and suffering. I completely stopped watching anything live. I check the score the next morning and if they win then I will watch it on tape delay or DVR. If they lose, no heartburn, just move on. It's the least painful way.

We're kind of schizophrenic because we're a young team with no real leaders who have the experience of what it takes to win games.

We started 5-4, then went 8-2, and most recently have gone 1-3, to basically drop out of the post-season discussion.

The game was beyond a disappointment last night. However, what bothered me more than anything else was to see Copeland (who has seemed like a really good team guy) act the way he did and Benny doing more dumb stuff.

All year, I've supported Benny and have even wanted him back in the starting lineup. I think I'm done with that position. Everyone involved might just be better if he leaves. How could he possibly not be a cancer the way he continues to act.

Was anything posted about Copeland and what the beef was all about? Maybe I missed it. Seemed to me watching on tv that Red wasn't happy with him taking that first 3. Then we he was pulled, he didn't want to hear about it. Red, rightfully so, wasn't going to let a player dictate terms and kept after Cope for a little while on the bench. They were both clearly upset to the point where Copeland changed seats a couple times to sit further and further from the coaches, and finally moved himself to the very end of the bench. Then, when Copeland went back in (and I could be completely wrong on this), but that next 3pt shot he took (and made) seemed like a middle finger to Red - but again, I'm just speculating wildly based on what I was seeing on tv.

I really hope the copeland/red thing last night was an anomaly because I'm a huge fan of Cope. I really like what he brings to the table and along with Brown, are my favorites who wear orange.

Last edited:
I will watch it on tape delay or DVR. If they lose, no heartburn, just move on. It's the least painful way.
A lot of us are in that boat.

The game was beyond a disappointment last night. However, what bothered me more than anything else was to see Copeland (who has seemed like a really good team guy) act the way he did and Benny doing more dumb stuff.

All year, I've supported Benny and have even wanted him back in the starting lineup. I think I'm done with that position. Everyone involved might just be better if he leaves. How could he possibly not be a cancer the way he continues to act.

Was anything posted about Copeland and what the beef was all about? Maybe I missed it. Seemed to me watching on tv that Red wasn't happy with him taking that first 3. Then we he was pulled, he didn't want to hear about it. Red, rightfully so, wasn't going to let a player dictate terms and kept after Cope for a little while on the bench. They were both clearly upset to the point where Copeland changed seats a couple times to sit further and further from the coaches, and finally moved himself to the very end of the bench. Then, when Copeland went back in (and I could be completely wrong on this), but that next 3pt shot he took (and made) seemed like a middle finger to Red - but again, I'm just speculating wildly based on what I was seeing on tv.

I really hope the copeland/red thing last night was an anomaly because I'm a huge fan of Cope. I really like what he brings to the table and along with Brown, are my favorites who wear orange.
Bell and Taylor start every game no matter how bad they play and he gets a quick hook for taking a bad shot so he snapped back.

If Red wants to play stupid games like starting those two over Copeland he can win stupid prizes like last night.

Starling gets abused nightly on the defensive end and he NEVER sits.

Bell and Taylor start every game no matter how bad they play and he gets a quick hook for taking a bad shot so he snapped back.

If Red wants to play stupid games like starting those two over Copeland he can win stupid prizes like last night.

Starling gets abused nightly on the defensive end and he NEVER sits.
religiously sticking to the bell taylor starting combo might be the dumbest thing red has done this season

amongst many contenders

i mean...why not switch it up???

I like Cope as much as the next guy, but Josh Pace and Billy were national champions. We could wish he could be that good.
You don't have a Melo, Gerry, Hak, McNeal, Forth, or Duany on this team.
Duany really was the most important player on the team. Even though he started, he gave up his minutes to Billy so he could win a championship.
A Senior who was truly a team first player.

Based on Copeland mouthing off today, wouldn't be surprised if he goes portal.
I think you may have created the latest catch phrase .. going portal . The new going postal

You don't have a Melo, Gerry, Hak, McNeal, Forth, or Duany on this team.
Duany really was the most important player on the team. Even though he started, he gave up his minutes to Billy so he could win a championship.
A Senior who was truly a team first player.
"Team players" are a rare find in today's collegiate world. For all
those who think the portal and NIL are positive to the college
game, all I can say is you're welcome to your opinion.

Pitino hit the nail on the head with his assessment. We're at an
unmanageable and unrealistic point right now. We're talking
about paid professionals who have no contractual obligation
to their employer (university). Just think how the NBA would
function with one year contracts and players moving at will
year to year. Not my idea of a great way to run a business or
create fan support.

"Team players" are a rare find in today's collegiate world. For all
those who think the portal and NIL are positive to the college
game, all I can say is you're welcome to your opinion.

Pitino hit the nail on the head with his assessment. We're at an
unmanageable and unrealistic point right now. We're talking
about paid professionals who have no contractual obligation
to their employer (university). Just think how the NBA would
function with one year contracts and players moving at will
year to year. Not my idea of a great way to run a business or
create fan support.
Pitino has been such a team player in his coaching career taking jobs at a moment's notice and dropping previous programs. Cracks me up when old goats who benefitted greatly in the previous system run down the current system all because the players are now getting paid.

Then if your performance is not up to standards you should be subject to
firing just like any other business.
I’m sure many players would sign up for that in exchange for just a little of that tournament tv money.

This is a young, immature team with no leader and it really doesn’t help when the HC is in his first year ever as a HC. It’s a much different relationship for Red now. I’m sure he had to play good cop last year with guys like Benny and Judah because of JB. We all know how close Red is with those guys anyway. And now hes the head coach.

That’s an extreme dynamic change and could explain what’s going on. I do think it’ll be less of an issue as Red gets more experience

This team is miles away from an NIT bid let alone an NCAA bid. Sad its probably going to be season 3 of no post season which hard to believe

For the most part this is JB”s team and not Autry’s” and way too soon to cast stones!
He presents pretty sharp to me so W/L ratio tell the tale in 3 years or so.

Where do we put Brown then? Back to the bench and he plays either the 4 or 5? I agree by the way Freeman should be starting and will need to be on the court. I just think we want them both on the court and they're both natural 4's.
I am a reader of this site for many years, but only recently got an account. Like all fan bases, this one vacillates between euphoria and despair depending on what happened on the court in the previous game or two.
The one consistent thing I’ve noticed is that posters here seem to have unrealistic expectations about incoming freshman. No matter the accolades or number of stars a player has, you have to expect less from Frosh.
I know the landscape of CBB has changed for the worse from a fan’s perspective. But if the Orange is going to reclaim a lofty perch in the basketball landscape and become a “Program” rather than a different team from year to year, then bringing even the most heralded Freshman along gradually should be the expectation.
Carmelo comes along once every 25 years, and lucky to even get that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom