Next year | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Next year

For the most part this is JB”s team and not Autry’s” and way too soon to cast stones!
He presents pretty sharp to me so W/L ratio tell the tale in 3 years or so.
Its pretty uncanny how many times this same argument is posted and completely ignores reds role in recruiting and coaching these players. Its almost as if people think the players are guaranteed to stay here and there is nothing a coach can do.

For the most part this is JB”s team and not Autry’s” and way too soon to cast stones!
He presents pretty sharp to me so W/L ratio tell the tale in 3 years or so.
3 more years of this and they'll have to do steep markdowns on season tickets. SU has one of the largest college hoops fan bases in the country. 13 years of being irrelevant is just beyond comprehension.

The only guys I really hope stick around are the 2 recruits, Maliq and maybe JJ. I don't really care one way or the other about the rest. There's little talent, and a complete lack of offensive skill, defensive desire and playmaking across the roster. This should have been blown up last March, so it is a must it is done this time around. If not, Red may not get a year 3.

Bell and Taylor start every game no matter how bad they play and he gets a quick hook for taking a bad shot so he snapped back.

If Red wants to play stupid games like starting those two over Copeland he can win stupid prizes like last night.

Starling gets abused nightly on the defensive end and he NEVER sits.

Yeah - I don't get it.

Cope has a legit beef unless Red has expressly told him not to take 3's (which may be the case.)

Regardless, he probably thinks he should be starting over Taylor, and that's the root of the issue.

Count me on his side on that one.

Maybe we need a new staff.

HC no I’m fine with 2 more years of Red. But he needs his Troy Weaver not Gerry.
With coach/player banter Saturday night appears HCAA has lost locker room.

"Team players" are a rare find in today's collegiate world. For all
those who think the portal and NIL are positive to the college
game, all I can say is you're welcome to your opinion.

Pitino hit the nail on the head with his assessment. We're at an
unmanageable and unrealistic point right now. We're talking
about paid professionals who have no contractual obligation
to their employer (university). Just think how the NBA would
function with one year contracts and players moving at will
year to year. Not my idea of a great way to run a business or
create fan support.
It works both ways. You can ship players out too. Bad attitude or selfish, you’re gone.

Red needs to find toughness and shooting in the portal. We can’t compete without more size up front. Teams were not driving to the hoop at will when McCloud was on the floor. Like McLoud or not, he could get in players head when they drove to the hoop.

The fluctuation in opinions in here from one game to the next is hilarious. We went from QC is for sure an NBA guard to QC can't cut it at a P5 program lol.

Every major contributor on this team is a sophomore, most of our players were recruited to play a different defense, and we're a mid-tier ACC team. Not what we want, but not unexpected. Unless you are UK or Duke, it's hard to win with all underclassmen in this era of portal players-- but why would we want to push out all of our players just as they get to be upperclassmen? It's like we think that players don't get better over time. Sure, maybe some need to go, but there's a core of players who can be really good if we add some recruits and portal players in.

QC, Malik, and JJ can all be really good ACC players. Add in a good portal center and pg, Freeman and Moore, some development from a few other of the sophomores to fill out the bench and some more time in Red's defensive system, and we've got ourselves a good NCAA tournament team next year to build on.

It took Hurley 3 years just to get back to the tournament at UCONN-- as long as we see progress year over year we have to have some patience.

The fluctuation in opinions in here from one game to the next is hilarious. We went from QC is for sure an NBA guard to QC can't cut it at a P5 program lol.

Every major contributor on this team is a sophomore, most of our players were recruited to play a different defense, and we're a mid-tier ACC team. Not what we want, but not unexpected. Unless you are UK or Duke, it's hard to win with all underclassmen in this era of portal players-- but why would we want to push out all of our players just as they get to be upperclassmen? It's like we think that players don't get better over time. Sure, maybe some need to go, but there's a core of players who can be really good if we add some recruits and portal players in.

QC, Malik, and JJ can all be really good ACC players. Add in a good portal center and pg, Freeman and Moore, some development from a few other of the sophomores to fill out the bench and some more time in Red's defensive system, and we've got ourselves a good NCAA tournament team next year to build on.

It took Hurley 3 years just to get back to the tournament at UCONN-- as long as we see progress year over year we have to have some patience.

Agree with some points.
  • Keep a core seven of Freeman, Moore, JJ, Malik, Cope, McLeod, Westry.
  • Keep 2-3 if they would like to stay (Cuffe, Patterson, Bell)
  • Add 3-4 big time portal players who can challenge for starting roles (Priority #1: forward who can slash and shoot; priority #2: PG who plays like a PG and can keep defenses honest)
  • Need those portal players to have toughness and strong defense
  • Starting lineup will depend on what you get from the portal but I would only assume two starters are locked in (Starling and Freeman). Love Brown but we are all overrating him a bit. On a really good team he would likely be a 6th man. Cope is a fun player but he's a bench player on a really good team.
Where I disagree is the comparison to Hurley. He had success at two other schools and had a proven ability to teach defense and toughness. I worry about Autry's ability to instill a high functioning man defense. Maybe it's the awful defenders we have this year but our approach and execution is very poor. Wake found it beyond easy to get our guys to switch into mismatches.

Cuse

The only guys I really hope stick around are the 2 recruits, Maliq and maybe JJ. I don't really care one way or the other about the rest. There's little talent, and a complete lack of offensive skill, defensive desire and playmaking across the roster. This should have been blown up last March, so it is a must it is done this time around. If not, Red may not get a year 3.
Q doesn't get another year even after the first buzzer beater that we've had in 7 years? I'd keep him just for luck at least another year.

Agree with some points.
  • Add 3-4 big time portal players who can challenge for starting roles (Priority #1: forward who can slash and shoot; priority #2: PG who plays like a PG and can keep defenses honest)
  • Starting lineup will depend on what you get from the portal but I would only assume two starters are locked in (Starling and Freeman). Love Brown but we are all overrating him a bit. On a really good team he would likely be a 6th man. Cope is a fun player but he's a bench player on a really good team.
Where I disagree is the comparison to Hurley. He had success at two other schools and had a proven ability to teach defense and toughness. I worry about Autry's ability to instill a high functioning man defense. Maybe it's the awful defenders we have this year but our approach and execution is very poor. Wake found it beyond easy to get our guys to switch into mismatches.

Cuse
Looks good, read some things about people worrying about Brown being upset not starting. That's not his game, he's a role player without the ego. Honestly JJ and Q are too.

Judah and Bell are the ones that get upset losing their spots and Benny too. Exactly why Autry when they got team violations took their starting slot.

Hitting the portal is needed but going to be tricky. Autry might need to take some risk elevating some midmajor players to the ACC. Could end well or they could be a bust and we'll be back on these threads complaining again.

This is true too, Autry is gonna have to be a surgeon this offseason. Slice off the toxic parts and keep a core he can build on.

I think all our Sophs might show improvement with their athleticism and even toughness in the offseason.

The effort piece though that's the problem, there's going to be 2 really solid but raw freshman coming in, you think we want them to be learning Benny level effort on and off the court. Or Judah's gamble defense or Bell's rebounding.

Looks good, read some things about people worrying about Brown being upset not starting. That's not his game, he's a role player without the ego. Honestly JJ and Q are too.

Judah and Bell are the ones that get upset losing their spots and Benny too. Exactly why Autry when they got team violations took their starting slot.

Hitting the portal is needed but going to be tricky. Autry might need to take some risk elevating some midmajor players to the ACC. Could end well or they could be a bust and we'll be back on these threads complaining again.
We always overestimate how good freshman are going to be. I'd love it if Freeman was immediately better than a junior Brown, but I highly doubt it.

More likely, Brown adds a three point shot and starts at the 4 and is really solid while doing it, while Freeman plays 26 minutes a night when Brown rests or is playing the 5.

Last summer we took some chances on guys coming off injuries who were recruited to P5 teams.

In the past, we've maybe had more success with those G5 players stepping up a level, as juniors or seniors.

Agree with some points.

Cuse
That’s like 14 guys on the roster

Regardless on how we get there, our top 8 have to be top notch players. I’m not seeing anything close to that right now. Maybe 4 or 5 if Freeman and Moore are immediate impact players. We definitely need to address the forward situation beyond Freeman and Malik. Need at least two forwards that can shoot and rebound. That would go a long way to improving the roster for next year.

JJ
Cope
Brown
McCloud
Chance
Freeman
Moore

That is 7 very solid players. We need to add a center and Forward. Maybe Bell steps up, Maybe Carey does as well. I can see Cuffe also making the squad. That would be 10.

JJ
Cope
Brown
McCloud
Chance
Freeman
Moore

That is 7 very solid players. We need to add a center and Forward. Maybe Bell steps up, Maybe Carey does as well. I can see Cuffe also making the squad. That would be 10.
That’s 3 solid players, 1 really tall dude, 1 habitually injured guy and 2 high school seniors (albeit high major prospects).

This is a young, immature team with no leader and it really doesn’t help when the HC is in his first year ever as a HC. It’s a much different relationship for Red now. I’m sure he had to play good cop last year with guys like Benny and Judah because of JB. We all know how close Red is with those guys anyway. And now hes the head coach.

That’s an extreme dynamic change and could explain what’s going on. I do think it’ll be less of an issue as Red gets more experience
Right on! You hit my favorite nail on the head. This team has no leader. We seem to play rudderless basketball.

Unless guys are going to transfer twice (very unlikely, correct me if I'm wrong), we will have the following roster at a minimum

Returning players - JJ/Cuffe/McLeod/Westry
New freshman - Moore/Freeman

Before this recent slump, I was big on keeping Cope/Brown, and everyone else was replaceable. Now I'm not sure, and think we need to do more to be competitive.

Still, I think Red needs a chance to get a full offseason to retool the roster. As KCSU was saying in another thread, if JB stayed it could have been a mass exodus. Also, would Moore and Freeman committed under JB?

On the other hand, all the incoming transfers have underperformed as a group. Joe and Jesse are sorely missed.

I simply hope we bounce back and play competitively instead of wilting to end the season. It will be a good signal to see if Red keeps the team cohesive, motivated, etc. Right now it looks ugly but they have bounced back before. Might as well make the most of the time with March Madness no longer an option...

Unless guys are going to transfer twice (very unlikely, correct me if I'm wrong), we will have the following roster at a minimum

Before this recent slump, I was big on keeping Cope/Brown, and everyone else was replaceable. Now I'm not sure, and think we need to do more to be competitive.

Still, I think Red needs a chance to get a full offseason to retool the roster. As KCSU was saying in another thread, if JB stayed it could have been a mass exodus. Also, would Moore and Freeman committed under JB?

On the other hand, all the incoming transfers have underperformed as a group. Joe and Jesse are sorely missed.

I simply hope we bounce back and play competitively instead of wilting to end the season. It will be a good signal to see if Red keeps the team cohesive, motivated, etc. Right now it looks ugly but they have bounced back before. Might as well make the most of the time with March Madness no longer an option...
If JB stayed there was going to be a mass exodus and some players already had destinations in mind.

Unless we some how have a roster of studs like we used to I don’t see things improving. We run absolutely no offense. It’s the same thing that JB did for the last couple decades which didn’t work when you didn’t have a roster full of buckets. If anyone has a chance youtube Indiana St highlights. They run some of the best sets you will ever see. That’s an offense that creates points with the scheme and not relying on superior skill players. Watching their offense and then ours it makes you realize just how bad we look and easy to prepare for. We have to be able to run an offense that can get you some easy buckets based on the scheme. I know it’s beating a dead horse, but I just don’t know what we expected by keeping a staff from a program that was on the decline. We needed a total reset.

Donnie would have not come to Cuse if JB was the coach. Cuse had been on Donnie since he was in 8th grade and didn’t consider Cuse at all until Red took over.

I'd wait for the year to play out before I'd make a list.

In the meantime, if I were the staff I'd do anything that is legally permissible to lure a portal center and another forward. Not sure when that would be permissible?

That’s 3 solid players, 1 really tall dude, 1 habitually injured guy and 2 high school seniors (albeit high major prospects).
If Chance is healthy, he is a stud. I would argue it is a solid 4 players. McCloud is a solid backup center. Carey shows good hands feet, and he gets after it. I don't expect much from him for another year, but he has potential, and I would keep him in the program. I expect the incoming forward to start which means that we need to add another scoring forward and a center. I don't think we need a point G as we can put that together between JJ and Cope. Bell Benny and JT are the kids that need to be replaced. If we whiff on the portal I might keep one of either Bell or JT. Benny is a cancer, needs help and has to go for his and the team's sake. We won't be world beaters, but we should make the dance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom