Next Year's Back court | Syracusefan.com

Next Year's Back court

Madbiker

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Reg Season Rcd
Curious what others think as we will lose both our starters, Battle and Frank Howard. Will the new starters be Carey and Buddy? Or are Goodine and Joe Girard more talented? Does Hughes move to SG to open a starting spot for Gurrier?

Oshae, Hughes, Sid, Goodine, and Carey.

Guerreier sixth man?? Maybe.

Doesn’t PC have another year due to the medical readshirt with the eye thing?

Going into the season, I thought Hughes could play SG but he really doesn't seem to have a true guard skillset. If he's the guy getting the lion's share of SG minutes, I'll be skeptical.

Goodine and Carey would be my picks.

Hughes and OB keep their starting jobs, with Gurrier taking the Dion Waiters role.

The frontcourt is more intriguing, imo. The cupboard is pretty full at Forward. We should see a lot of 3 Forward looks.

Going into the season, I thought Hughes could play SG but he really doesn't seem to have a true guard skillset. If he's the guy getting the lion's share of SG minutes, I'll be skeptical.

Hughes and OB keep their starting jobs, with Gurrier taking the Dion Waiters role.

The frontcourt is more intriguing, imo. The cupboard is pretty full at Forward. We should see a lot of 3 Forward looks.

Agree re Hughes but I think the potential is there his handle isn't that bad. Gbinije was able to become a PG after playing SF and I think Hughes looks pretty similar to G his first year for us regarding his ball handling.

I sort of feel like Girard is a guy who is going to be a finished product as a freshman so he starts at the 1 next to Tyus.

Goodine to me might be like Nichols 1 up and down freshman season and then 3 years as a reliable scorer. Wonder what he looks like standing next to Hughes he obviously weighs less. Buddy is around the same height as Eli. IDK something tells me Hughes plays a lot of 2 when Tyus leaves and Goodine and Buddy see a good amount of time at the 3. Just my hunch not really based off anything. That would be the 2020-2021 season of course.

I wish people would stop putting Tyus and Oshae in the draft does no one any favors. We didn't used to behave like this with our young players we didn't treat Greene or Flynn like this when they showed up and were good as freshmen but ever since Ennis its been freaking relentless and is super annoying.

For most freshman, I dont put the hopes many on here do of them...especially with the history of players being Boeheimed. I know these threads are fun and much of what the board is about, so I am explicity not mocking, but just saying Ive learned not to put expectations on JB for who will get the start/minutes(which dont always go hand in hand, if you remember Fab(RIP), etc)

I am less bully on Guerrier starting, now that he isn't enrolled / practicing with the team this semester.

Love the kid's long-term potential, but we won't know how "ready" he is until he shows up this summer.

IMO, that's the main determinant of whether Hughes will shift into the backcourt or stay at SF. I completely disagree with the sentiment above about Hughes not having demonstrated guard skills. What? He's been the best "game" shooter on the team, and handles the ball well. What am I missing?

I wish people would stop putting Tyus and Oshae in the draft does no one any favors. We didn't used to behave like this
These guys have a short professional career and if the NBA isn’t attainable Europe offers a very nice living. They can always return to school after their playing days are over to finish the degree. The only players that should stay all 4 years are the ones that have no realistic shot at a professional career.

This is why battle and oshae are gone.

I am less bully on Guerrier starting, now that he isn't enrolled / practicing with the team this semester.

Love the kid's long-term potential, but we won't know how "ready" he is until he shows up this summer.

IMO, that's the main determinant of whether Hughes will shift into the backcourt or stay at SF. I completely disagree with the sentiment above about Hughes not having demonstrated guard skills. What? He's been the best "game" shooter on the team, and handles the ball well. What am I missing?
Same. I'd say:

PG: Carey/Goodine
SG: Hughes/Buddy

Foward: OB, MD starters
Guerrier backup (Bras Spot minutes)

Center: Sidibe Ajak (MD situationally)

Last edited:
These guys have a short professional career and if the NBA isn’t attainable Europe offers a very nice living. They can always return to school after their playing days are over to finish the degree. The only players that should stay all 4 years are the ones that have no realistic shot at a professional career.

Where is Oshae going? Until he learns to shoot a layup at the height of his jump, improve his handle greatly and pass remotely like a P5 player he can't even play in Europe. He could leave and bounce around Asia but he isn't ready for the G league. Besides being a good rebounder he has no other NBA draftee skillset at this point. Sadly, he didn't improve in the offseason. Hopefully this summer he puts the necessary work in.

Can you name some players who left school after their sophomore year to go play in Europe?

Why didn’t Brandon Triche, Kris Joseph, and Cj Fair leave to go play in Europe after their sophomore year? They were all better than Oshae.

I agree. I thought Hughes would move to 2G next season but I wonder if he is better at the 3/wing. Maybe he’ll develop and be able to play guard. But I think it’ll be Carey, Goodine and Buddy at guard, with Hughes, Brissett, Quincy G and Marek at forward. Quincy and Goodine are the wild cards. Lots of great pieces for next season but also lots of questions.

Where is Oshae going?
Looking at this objectively and NOT as an SU fan, hindsight says he probably should've tested the waters last year before the scouts had a chance to pick apart his weaknesses. That's the problem with the NBA drafting on potential - lots of guys who have no business declaring are just trying to cash in on a one-time six-figure contract, spend a few years in the G League and then be out on the streets. If Oshae demonstrated a better handle and finishing around the rim, then this 2nd year at SU would have made sense. But for whatever reason it's not happening - don't know how much of it is on him vs the staff.