NFL Thread - 2018 | Page 128 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread - 2018

I don't like Foles here. How much $ is he commanding? He should be asking more than Cousins. He has a line in Philly. We just learned this lesson by taking Keenum. Just because somebody looks good somewhere else doesn't mean he'd fit anywhere. We have 1 more year of Keenum's contract and we got a ok price at 9mil. We'd have to watch Foles get used to a new offense. No thanks

So glad you guys didn’t take a QB last year.

I don't like Foles here. How much $ is he commanding? He should be asking more than Cousins. He has a line in Philly. We just learned this lesson by taking Keenum. Just because somebody looks good somewhere else doesn't mean he'd fit anywhere. We have 1 more year of Keenum's contract and we got a ok price at 9mil. We'd have to watch Foles get used to a new offense. No thanks

I think you're right to be concerned. He can be successful but he has to go to the right situation. He's probably somewhere in the 12-18 range in terms of starting QBs in the NFL. If a team has the other elements - decent OL, solid D, then he could be a guy to help that team get over the hump. I'm not sure there are that many teams out there that fit the profile I described.

How about the Redskins? They have a not so good O-line though. I'm assuming Alex Smith won't be back.

Ironic that the guy who explains every Eli Manning INT as somebody else's fault would blame Foles for that INT.
You can lead a horse to water...

giphy.gif

ssbriefcase - what are the odds Elway goes after a potential 21st century Elway?

Kyler Murray Out

Not saying Murray is a surefire HOFer. I thought it'd be interesting if Elway went after a kid who will likely use his MLB prospects to leverage which NFL team he'd play for.

Adam Gase without a hat looks like a textbook serial murderer.
I must admit this even startled me after years of him. Absolute lunatic, but he was our lunatic.

Holy Moly

WTH is that?? I'm speechless. Uh Adam the cameras are on. Try not to make it look like an insane man was just hired as head coach.

How about the Redskins? They have a not so good O-line though. I'm assuming Alex Smith won't be back.

Their OL is above average when healthy. Which it hasn't been in years.

Supposedly the LAR were able to determine Dallas' DL calls prior to the snap on Sunday. They say that depending on where the interior DL guys lined up or whether the DEs put their hand on the ground, LA could tell what stunts Dallas was running over 90% of the time. That's some out-coaching right there but kinda dumb for LA to come out and admit it. They play each other next year.

Supposedly the LAR were able to determine Dallas' DL calls prior to the snap on Sunday. They say that depending on where the interior DL guys lined up or whether the DEs put their hand on the ground, LA could tell what stunts Dallas was running over 90% of the time. That's some out-coaching right there but kinda dumb for LA to come out and admit it. They play each other next year.

Well done, LA.

I think that's the definition of good coaching in today's NFL - determining the tells of your opponent and taking advantage. Especially since the talent margin is usually pretty thin.

Belichick has been a master of this (insert recording opponents joke here) throughout his career.

I think it's also why guys like McVay try to run everything out of one formation rather than old school OCs (like Linehan) who try to "formation" a defense to death.

Well done, LA.

I think that's the definition of good coaching in today's NFL - determining the tells of your opponent and taking advantage. Especially since the talent margin is usually pretty thin.

Belichick has been a master of this (insert recording opponents joke here) throughout his career.

I think it's also why guys like McVay try to run everything out of one formation rather than old school OCs (like Linehan) who try to "formation" a defense to death.
Simplicity of the Dallas Cowboys offensive scheme has to cost Dallas 1-2 games a year.

As you said Belichick would eat Garrett up twice a year if he faced him as if Belichick knows what you are going to do and you won’t change he will prepare his team in a week to beat you.
Dallas doesn’t use misdirection or fake Jet sweeps in their offense. The scheme is nonexistent it’s we are going to do what we do and you gotta stop it.

How Garrett brings back Linehan is amazing. It’s AFC East esque stupid and Philadelphia and NY Giants must love it.
If Dallas was smart they would have tried to kick the tires on John DeFeilippio as a QB coach with the understanding he is Linehan’s replacement but Dallas is just stupid with coaching.
The Dallas talent is good.

Simplicity of the Dallas Cowboys offensive scheme has to cost Dallas 1-2 games a year.

As you said Belichick would eat Garrett up twice a year if he faced him as if Belichick knows what you are going to do and you won’t change he will prepare his team in a week to beat you.
Dallas doesn’t use misdirection or fake Jet sweeps in their offense. The scheme is nonexistent it’s we are going to do what we do and you gotta stop it.

How Garrett brings back Linehan is amazing. It’s AFC East esque stupid and Philadelphia and NY Giants must love it.
If Dallas was smart they would have tried to kick the tires on John DeFeilippio as a QB coach with the understanding he is Linehan’s replacement but Dallas is just stupid with coaching.
The Dallas talent is good.

Actually, I didn't say Belichick would eat Garrett up twice a year, you did.

Dallas frequently uses misdirection on short pass plays (Gruden's fav spider 2 Y banana) and fake jet sweeps. They're not consistently successful because they tip their hand with personnel (Tavon Austin = jet sweep) or formation.

Linehan is the worst of George Deleone (multiple formations) without the play calling savvy.

I like OCs who frequently repeat effective play calls - make the opposing defense prove they can stop a play that's been executed with consistent success. Deleone sometimes took this too far but he successfully pounded defenses with this philosophy (Norv Turner did too).

Linehan is the opposite. He will have great success running into a specific gap or picking on a DB and he'll stop calling those successful plays to run an idiotic jet sweep with Tavon Austin for a 5 yard loss.

It's compounded by his inability/unwillingness to change strategies in game. If a defense shuts down his strategy (e.g. run to open up the pass) he just starts calling goofy plays like Coach Klein (Waterboy reference for the youngins') without the success.

Edit - Jerry Jones has boxed himself into a Catch 22 with Garrett. He's unlikely to find a great coach who will tolerate his level of involvement so he's forced to keep the Ginger Clapper.

Edit 2 - For all of Jerry's and Ginger's faults they've still won the NFC East multiple times so it's not like Dallas just re-treaded Rich Kotite or Bob McAdoo (i.e. How to Pick an AFC East HC)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom