NFL Thread - 2018 | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread - 2018

I would take Alex Smith this season over Eli Manning in a cocaine heartbeat.
Alex Smith takes care of the ball, has mobility and while he doesn’t throw deep a lot is a good game manager.
Eli doesn’t move, and doesn’t take care of the ball as well.
Eli is a better playoff QB no doubt but Smith is better right now.
Eli is a GUNSLINGER...with a CANNON...who wins.

smith is a freakin loser on his 3rd team.

go back to your flacco argument, so at least we can debate winners.

alex smith...smh...

I would take Alex Smith this season over Eli Manning in a cocaine heartbeat.
Alex Smith takes care of the ball, has mobility and while he doesn’t throw deep a lot is a good game manager.
Eli doesn’t move, and doesn’t take care of the ball as well.
Eli is a better playoff QB no doubt but Smith is better right now.

The same Alex Smith that was holding Colin Kaepernik's clipboard when Eli beat them in the Stick?

Smith and Manning are both sitting here with little to nothing left in the tank. The Eli comments remind me of those on Romo as his days were done. Eli had an awesome career and was a hell of a leader. But that arm is nothing like it was and while a better run game will help, it's not going to make his arm stronger or more accurate.

Smith and Manning are both sitting here with little to nothing left in the tank. The Eli comments remind me of those on Romo as his days were done. Eli had an awesome career and was a hell of a leader. But that arm is nothing like it was and while a better run game will help, it's not going to make his arm stronger or more accurate.
Smith had Hunt, Tyreek and Kelce last year.

Who’d Eli have? Not Marshall or OBJ, sterling wasn’t 100% for the majority of the season either. Engram was great imo though.

These arent excuses, its fact. All of Eli’s established weapons were on the sidelines. smith’s not turning an UDFA into a star.

Smith had Hunt, Tyreek and Kelce last year.

Who’d Eli have? Not Marshall or OBJ, sterling wasn’t 100% for the majority of the season either. Engram was great imo though.

These arent excuses, its fact. All of Eli’s established weapons were on the sidelines. smith’s not turning an UDFA into a star.

I'm not advocating for Smith. Just saying that Eli is not Tom Brady and isn't going to bust out a huge season out of the blue. If you watch the guy through neutral lens you can see just how far he fell last year even on easy throws he was missing. Age happen, unless you are Brady apparently.

I'm not advocating for Smith. Just saying that Eli is not Tom Brady and isn't going to bust out a huge season out of the blue. If you watch the guy through neutral lens you can see just how far he fell last year even on easy throws he was missing. Age happen, unless you are Brady apparently.
I don’t think anyone’s arguing that eli’s on, or ever has been on, Brady’s level. He never has and still isnt. We’re just arguing that he’s still a serviceable/good quarterback, and in the past was great at times.

I don’t think anyone’s arguing that eli’s on, or ever has been on, Brady’s level. He never has and still isnt. We’re just arguing that he’s still a serviceable/good quarterback, and in the past was great at times.
Right now Eli is a bottom half of the league starter.
I am being kind with that.
Tannenhill vs. Eli is a legit debate. You can like Eli but he is a turnover machine who can’t move.
I am sure if he has a good OL he can be serviceable but that is what they say about Blake Bortles.

Plane isn't landing. My point is that him being good is questionable after seeing how his arm looked last year. It was really bad at times. Like time to be a back up bad. Only comparison to aging was in regard to Brady not losing much as he has aged where Eli is.

You are like the cowboys fans ( I'm a fan myself) who can't see that Dak has a lot of flaws. I like Dak but need to see more after how bad he was in spots last year. Eli isn't going to miraculously discover his arm strength or better accuracy. Serviceable isn't getting NY to the playoffs. He needs to be good. The NFC is deep.

Plane isn't landing. My point is that him being good is questionable after seeing how his arm looked last year. It was really bad at times. Like time to be a back up bad. Only comparison to aging was in regard to Brady not losing much as he has aged where Eli is.

You are like the cowboys fans ( I'm a fan myself) who can't see that Dak has a lot of flaws. I like Dak but need to see more after how bad he was in spots last year. Eli isn't going to miraculously discover his arm strength or better accuracy. Serviceable isn't getting NY to the playoffs. He needs to be good. The NFC is deep.

We will see this year I suppose!

Eli right now isn’t as good as his fellow class mates Rothlisberger or Rivers.
Rivers is better than him now. He has been saddled with a crap OL and coaching/organization. I give Eli this when he gets close he finishes the job and he deserves credit for that. Rivers has been to the divisional round 5 times and 2 AFC title games and never finished the job.
Eli hasn’t made it that far as much but his 2 times he finished the deal.

I would say Rivers has had a lot less than Eli. He developed as LT’s prime was done. He has carried a bunch of bums and has had only real stud in Antonio Gates whom he developed like Brees did with Jimmy Graham.

QBs make their weapons better except Antonio Brown/Julio Jones/Gronk types.

Eli only having 1 playoff season in the last 5 years is unbelievable.

So Manning beat Smith on his home field (that will happen again this year) to go to the Super Bowl, even better.
You watched that game. I will give Eli this he survived a beating but that game was decided because of a fumbled punt.
Smith was handcuffed by Harbaugh which is why he was traded. Harbaugh got killed for his game management in that game running the ball way too much against a team he could have thrown against.

I give Eli credit for the beating he took and the fact has finished the job twice but he isn’t as good right now as Alex Smith.
He just isn’t. Smith has more mobility, takes care of the ball better and is younger.

You watched that game. I will give Eli this he survived a beating but that game was decided because of a fumbled punt.
Smith was handcuffed by Harbaugh which is why he was traded. Harbaugh got killed for his game management in that game running the ball way too much against a team he could have thrown against.

I give Eli credit for the beating he took and the fact has finished the job twice but he isn’t as good right now as Alex Smith.
He just isn’t. Smith has more mobility, takes care of the ball better and is younger.

If that's the hill you want to die on in this thread go ahead.

Smith is going to need all that mobility you speak of this year for sure.

If that's the hill you want to die on in this thread go ahead.

Smith is going to need all that mobility you speak of this year for sure.
What hill? I think Eli has a better resume. That is undisputed.
Eli is a borderline HOF. Smith isn’t.

I just think a clear majority of NFL personnel evaluatiors would take Smith over Eli for this year.

Quarterback rankings: Top 32 signal-callers across NFL
This is fair ranking. Smith is 18th and Eli 24th.

Last edited:
Eli right now isn’t as good as his fellow class mates Rothlisberger or Rivers.
Rivers is better than him now. He has been saddled with a crap OL and coaching/organization. I give Eli this when he gets close he finishes the job and he deserves credit for that. Rivers has been to the divisional round 5 times and 2 AFC title games and never finished the job.
Eli hasn’t made it that far as much but his 2 times he finished the deal.

I would say Rivers has had a lot less than Eli. He developed as LT’s prime was done. He has carried a bunch of bums and has had only real stud in Antonio Gates whom he developed like Brees did with Jimmy Graham.

QBs make their weapons better except Antonio Brown/Julio Jones/Gronk types.

Eli only having 1 playoff season in the last 5 years is unbelievable.
Rivers having LT and Melvin Gordon along with Gates and numerous competent WR’s can’t really be discounted. If coaching and ol is an excuse then I don’t understand how Eli doesnt qualify for the same in the past 5 years.

Rivers had the most dynamic player in the past 20 years and didnt get it done. I think he’s arguably better than Eli at this moment, arguably not definitely, but at this time that’s phil’s legacy.

Rivers having LT and Melvin Gordon along with Gates and numerous competent WR’s can’t really be discounted. If coaching and ol is an excuse then I don’t understand how Eli doesnt qualify for the same in the past 5 years.

Rivers had the most dynamic player in the past 20 years and didnt get it done. I think he’s arguably better than Eli at this moment, arguably not definitely, but at this time that’s phil’s legacy.
So OBJ is better than Gates.
He is not better than in his prime LT but that was when Brees was the QB and the rookie starting year of Rivers in 2005. After 2006 LT went downhill.

Please don’t tell Eli had nothing. Tiki was a lesser of version of LT. He wasn’t as good but he wasn’t a bum.

Plaxico/Toomer/Shockley/Smith/Manningham/Cruz aren’t exactly a pupu platter. The QB makes these guys valuable or wasted.
Both Eli and Rivers have had good years and bad ones. Eli gets credit for the rings but Rivers has played at the higher level overall.

So OBJ is better than Gates.
He is not better than in his prime LT but that was when Brees was the QB and the rookie starting year of Rivers in 2005. After 2006 LT went downhill.

Please don’t tell Eli had nothing. Tiki was a lesser of version of LT. He wasn’t as good but he wasn’t a bum.

Plaxico/Toomer/Shockley/Smith/Manningham/Cruz aren’t exactly a pupu platter. The QB makes these guys valuable or wasted.
Both Eli and Rivers have had good years and bad ones. Eli gets credit for the rings but Rivers has played at the higher level overall.
At no point am I saying Eli had nothing. I’m just saying you cant defend Rivers with poor o line play and coaching issues then shat on Eli’s past 5 years.

Eli’s had weapons just as Rivers had. Difference is Eli has two rings. I think arguing that Rivers is a better quarterback now is somewhat pointless because even if he is he has borderline zero shot of a superbowl title regardless or surrounding talent.

Talk about riding dirty. That's impressive

anigif_enhanced-8548-1431640617-25.gif

No joke Bob was the worst coach of the GRob Era after Brian Pariani.

He would come out pregame to the student section and do magic tricks. He was more interested in these stupid magic tricks his first year by the end of the year the student section hated him.

1287376348.jpg

This was Bob Wiley OL at Syracuse.
It was said he didn’t push them to even lift weights. I remember Marrone had to bust the OL into major shape because of how lazy Wiley had them.

Bob Wiley and Will Hicks the dynamic fat duo

Alex Smith was a borderline MVP candidate last year; Eli has simply never played at the level that Smith did last season, with or without weapons.

Alex Smith was a borderline MVP candidate last year; Eli has simply never played at the level that Smith did last season, with or without weapons.
Sure Smith had a better year last year but if you’re in the playoffs who would you rather have? Rivers/Smith/Eli? I guess all could be argued in favor for. Great stats are pretty, playoff success is gorgeous.

Sure Smith had a better year last year but if you’re in the playoffs who would you rather have? Rivers/Smith/Eli? I guess all could be argued in favor for. Great stats are pretty, playoff success is gorgeous.

Last year I would have ranked it Smith/River/Eli.

Give me the guy who puts points on the board.

It wasn't close and Eli stunk before he started losing weapons last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom