NFL Thread - 2018 | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread - 2018

Going strictly off PFF ratings, here's how the starting O-Line ranks in terms of pass blocking at their respective positions:

Nate Solder: 21 out of 73
Will Hernandez: 25 out of 70 (he's actually #4 overall at the position, but only #25 at pass blocking)
Jon Halapio: 2 out of 36
Patrick Omameh: 59 out of 70
Chad Wheeler: 60 out of 73

So basically, the left side of the line grades out very well but the right side has been pretty terrible. I think Flowers was even worse than Wheeler but he's been removed from the rankings since he's a free agent.

Edit: I forgot that Halapio is hurt now. Greco, his replacement is #33 out of 36 in terms of pass blocking.

Halapio got hurt in week 2. So 3 of the 5 current starters are among the worst in the entire league? Sounds about right.

Last edited:
Better alltime QB Drew Brees or John Elway?
Way late, but you know I'd have to weigh in. Of course I'm taking Elway, 5 SB's, his teams had no business going to 3 of them. In his first 3 SB's he had exactly 0 wr's, 1 rb, 0 te's make the pro bowl, then in 1995, Anthony Miller became the first wr. Also played in the era of defense's legally being able to destroy qb's and wr's. Before Brady, Elway was the best qb in history at throwing his entire team on his back, and going to the dance.
edit; Sammy Winder in '86 made the pro bowl

Last edited:
What good QB’s were there? Josh Allen? Lol.
I would argue that paying a risky QB prospect relative pennies is still much better than paying a rookie RB like he's already established as a top 5 back. Unless Saquon is like the best RB in the NFL, he'll be overpaid on his rookie contract. If Allen is even an adequate backup QB, he'll be properly paid; anything better than that and he's a bargain.

Halapio got hurt in week 2. So 3 of the 5 current starters are among the worst in the entire league? Sounds about right.

Yeah, it's not great haha.

PFF just released their rankings of the top OLines in the league and they have the Giants at #24.

I would argue that paying a risky QB prospect relative pennies is still much better than paying a rookie RB like he's already established as a top 5 back. Unless Saquon is like the best RB in the NFL, he'll be overpaid on his rookie contract. If Allen is even an adequate backup QB, he'll be properly paid; anything better than that and he's a bargain.
It’s monetary reasons why Barkley was bad value.
He is a stud and will be a great player but they will have to start overpaying him in year 5 rather than year 6.

QBs average now 20 million if they are decent.
RBs average around 8-10 million if they are good now.

I would have taken Chubb if they didn’t want a QB as his position is overpaid once their rookie deals expire.

Giants will now need a QB to come right in and taken advantage of these next 3 years they are paying Barkley nothing.

Way late, but you know I'd have to weigh in. Of course I'm taking Elway, 5 SB's, his teams had no business going to 3 of them. In his first 3 SB's he had exactly 0 wr's or rb's or te's make the pro bowl, then in 1995, Anthony Miller became the first wr. Also played in the era of defense's legally being able to destroy qb's and wr's. Before Brady, Elway was the best qb in history at throwing his entire team on his back, and going to the dance.
I think Elway is the most talented QB of alltime and in today’s era would have been almost unstoppable.
He was athletic enough to run those zone reads, his arm was Mahomes like and he wouldn’t have been able to get hit hard.
IMO I would put him over Brees it is the discussion for people who want Brees top 5.
I think Montana, Brady, Manning, Rodgers are above them and if people want to put Rodgers down until he gets there that is fine I just think he clearly will end up there so just put it.

The Giants should find a way to get OBJ back home to Louisiana.

Brees would throw to him 15 times a game.

It’s monetary reasons why Barkley was bad value.
He is a stud and will be a great player but they will have to start overpaying him in year 5 rather than year 6.

QBs average now 20 million if they are decent.
RBs average around 8-10 million if they are good now.

I would have taken Chubb if they didn’t want a QB as his position is overpaid once their rookie deals expire.

Giants will now need a QB to come right in and taken advantage of these next 3 years they are paying Barkley nothing.

Not even. Barkley is getting $5.5 mil this year and he's already the 8th highest paid RB in the league. There's a pretty good chance that they end up overpaying him every season of his career.

I think Elway is the most talented QB of alltime and in today’s era would have been almost unstoppable.
He was athletic enough to run those zone reads, his arm was Mahomes like and he wouldn’t have been able to get hit hard.
IMO I would put him over Brees it is the discussion for people who want Brees top 5.
I think Montana, Brady, Manning, Rodgers are above them and if people want to put Rodgers down until he gets there that is fine I just think he clearly will end up there so just put it.

I'm hesitant to put Elway that high because for a lot of Dan Reeve years his stats were below the league average for that particular season Circa 88-93.

Outside of his first two years in San Diego, Brees has been near the top of every passing category each season. Obviously a lot of opinion involved here.

Super Bowls are a valid point. The Saints have had some of the worst defenses in NFL history over the past 10 years though.

I'm hesitant to put Elway that high because for a lot of Dan Reeve years his stats were below the league average for that particular season Circa 88-93.

Outside of his first two years in San Diego, Brees has been near the top of every passing category each season. Obviously a lot of opinion involved here.

Super Bowls are a valid point. The Saints have had some of the worst defenses in NFL history over the past 10 years though.
Dan Reeves was a 3 yards and pile of dust coach. I think coaching held Elway back, Shanahan saw it first hand. To me, no weapons and for a gunslinger type qb, Elway's stats were lucky to be what they were. The qb position is going to look way prettier stat and ratings wise, in the 2000's, especially in the last 5 years.

Dan Reeves was a 3 yards and pile of dust coach. I think coaching held Elway back, Shanahan saw it first hand. To me, no weapons and for a gunslinger type qb, Elway's stats were lucky to be what they were. The qb position is going to look way prettier stat and ratings wise, in the 2000's, especially in the last 5 years.

I was just measuring him against the league averages those seasons, not today. Of course you can’t compare eras. The Broncos should have dumped Reeves sooner.

The Bills have terrible skill players, but I'm not sold on Allen either. Just another guy with a big arm.

Outside of Baker I don't really love any of the other QB's.

He’s 2-2 with the worst supporting cast in the NFL. Has he struggled? Yes. But what rookie QB doesn’t? Has he shown flashes of brilliance? Yes.

Kid has his head on straight and is a competitor.

People forget that Brady relied on a strong running game and strong defense as a young QB. Same with Big Ben, Rivers, Russell Wilson. Hell Peyton won 3 games as a rookie and he had Marvin Harrison and Marshall Faulk.

Goff sucked as a rookie and look at him now.

Let the kid play some games before we throw him into the wood chipper.

I was just measuring him against the league averages those seasons, not today. Of course you can’t compare eras. The Broncos should have dumped Reeves sooner.
Yeah I know, that's why I left off how defenses speared qb's on every play they could, because all those qb's got that treatment then. I was just laying out why I think his stats even for that era weren't better. He was always going to throw picks, being pretty much the original gunslinger with no weapons, he was going to force his throws. Our defenses in the era also ensured, Elway was going to be on the field a lot more than off (It might just be me, but I think the prevent d was a Broncos staple before any other team used it). Reeves didn't help, with his style.
I like Brees, and respect him a lot for all he's done.

He’s 2-2 with the worst supporting cast in the NFL. Has he struggled? Yes. But what rookie QB doesn’t? Has he shown flashes of brilliance? Yes.

Kid has his head on straight and is a competitor.

People forget that Brady relied on a strong running game and strong defense as a young QB. Same with Big Ben, Rivers, Russell Wilson. Hell Peyton won 3 games as a rookie and he had Marvin Harrison and Marshall Faulk.

Goff sucked as a rookie and look at him now.

Let the kid play some games before we throw him into the wood chipper.

That's fine I know Bills fans are going to stick up for their guy. I just personally don't see it.

I also think they are doing him a disservice with the lack of help he has at WR and Oline.

I also think they are doing him a disservice with the lack of help he has at WR and Oline.

That’s what I’m saying tho. How can you even properly evaluate him?

Too small a sample size, and lack of weapons. Jury's still out, imo. Same with Mahomes, in the opposite way.

You can still see the way he’s reading defenses, his footwork in the pocket, and how accurately he can throw. He doesn’t have any of those three things right now unfortunately

I was very high on Allen in the draft and still am, but he’s a mess right now. He was always going to be a mess; the hope in drafting him is that it’ll eventually pay off. Nobody expected him to be good right now. But he’s struggling immensely regardless of what his teammates are doing.

Sweet hot take bro

As are the ones about the Giants/Barkley.

It’s way early but all this “the Giants should’ve picked a QB”...well, not if they determined that none of the available QBs are all that great. And none of them have exactly looked like can’t misses so far.

I’d rather have a sure thing superstar RB than an average QB if that’s the decision.

I would argue that paying a risky QB prospect relative pennies is still much better than paying a rookie RB like he's already established as a top 5 back. Unless Saquon is like the best RB in the NFL, he'll be overpaid on his rookie contract. If Allen even an adequate backup QB, he'll be properly paid; anything better than that and he's a bargain.

He legitimately might be just that already. He’s awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom