NFL Thread - 2018 | Page 64 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread - 2018

That ones kindve over though. Guy won coach of the year. He’s cemented as a legit good coach.

He didn’t win coach of the year. McVay did.

Unless his mommy or one of the Bologna Boys, here on the board, gives a coach of the year award I’m unaware of.

He didn’t win coach of the year. McVay did.

Unless his mommy or one of the Bologna Boys, here on the board, gives a coach of the year award I’m unaware of.

Lol, my bad. No idea why I thought he won it.

Congrats to the NFL for effectively legislating the onside kick into a non-play.

This is why I imagine they'll eventually change it to the proposal they were considering before where a team can try to gain 10 or 15 yards on one shot and if they get it, they get to keep the ball. I think 10 is too short personally, but I imagine this will eventually become a thing. I don't think the onside kick is a big loss as long as they give you an alternative.

Having said that, I think the death of the onside kick has been overstated. In prior years, teams recovered onside kicks 15% of the time, but in the 4th quarter/OT, only 8% of the time. I imagine that one of the impacts of this year's rules is that teams pretty much only attempt onside kicks in the 4th quarter now when they absolutely need them (there's been at least one "surprise" onside kick, but I unfortunately don't have a list of every single attempt to back this up. This year, teams have recovered 10%. So my guess is that the success rate is actually pretty much in line with how it's been in past years.

This is why I imagine they'll eventually change it to the proposal they were considering before where a team can try to gain 10 or 15 yards on one shot and if they get it, they get to keep the ball. I think 10 is too short personally, but I imagine this will eventually become a thing. I don't think the onside kick is a big loss as long as they give you an alternative.

Having said that, I think the death of the onside kick has been overstated. In prior years, teams recovered onside kicks 15% of the time, but in the 4th quarter/OT, only 8% of the time. I imagine that one of the impacts of this year's rules is that teams pretty much only attempt onside kicks in the 4th quarter now when they absolutely need them (there's been at least one "surprise" onside kick, but I unfortunately don't have a list of every single attempt to back this up. This year, teams have recovered 10%. So my guess is that the success rate is actually pretty much in line with how it's been in past years.

The presence of the onside kick, and the chance to recover one, helps hold fan interest in the 4th Q of two-score games. Without it, fans will begin leaving the stadium during the mid 4th quarter, or even sooner. At home, fans will begin turning off TV's or changing channels sooner. When that begins to affect ad revenue, and it will, the league will have to make a decision.

The presence of the onside kick, and the chance to recover one, helps hold fan interest in the 4th Q of two-score games. Without it, fans will begin leaving the stadium during the mid 4th quarter, or even sooner. At home, fans will begin turning off TV's or changing channels sooner. When that begins to affect ad revenue, and it will, the league will have to make a decision.

Yeah, but it doesn't even really appear that the results are much different than it's been in previous years. It might actually be successful more often so far this year.

Hue Jackson fired finally.

Been a long time coming. I actually think Hue deserved the chance to coach this year's team, unlike a lot of people that were calling for his head the last two years. But he deserved to be fired this year.

Been a long time coming. I actually think Hue deserved the chance to coach this year's team, unlike a lot of people that were calling for his head the last two years. But he deserved to be fired this year.

I mean you cant be shocked, but it's just weird to me. 1-31 first two seasons, team finally shows life and is in every game (outside this past 1), but now fired?

I mean you cant be shocked, but it's just weird to me. 1-31 first two seasons, team finally shows life and is in every game (outside this past 1), but now fired?
He is a boob. Watching Hard Knocks this guy was trying to undermine the OC his GM brought in to help Mayfield. That show killed Jackson.
The Browns job will be one of the most coveted jobs next year.
They should be better than they are.

He is a boob. Watching Hard Knocks this guy was trying to undermine the OC his GM brought in to help Mayfield. That show killed Jackson.
The Browns job will be one of the most coveted jobs next year.
They should be better than they are.

Can't disagree

Not when Sean Payton plays 3QB’s at once.
I haven’t watched the Saints-Vikes game yet I DVR’ed it but that win shows it’s a 2 team horse race for HFA.
1/2.Saints-Rams.

Box score tells me the Saints made some turnovers and the Saints running game just controlled the clock.

Impressive win for the Saints.

I haven’t watched the Saints-Vikes game yet I DVR’ed it but that win shows it’s a 2 team horse race for HFA.
1/2.Saints-Rams.

Box score tells me the Saints made some turnovers and the Saints running game just controlled the clock.

Wasn't much of a need to pass as Minnesota self destructed in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. After that they just tried to run out the clock.

Brees finally threw his first pick of the year while under pressure trying to hit Thomas over the middle and overthrew him.

I like the Saints to win next week. The Rams are due and outside of the 49ers game they have mostly squeaked by good opponents.

Wasn't much of a need to pass as Minnesota self destructed in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. After that they just tried to run out the clock.

Brees finally threw his first pick of the year while under pressure trying to hit Thomas over the middle and overthrew him.

I like the Saints to win next week. The Rams are due and outside of the 49ers game they have mostly squeaked by good opponents.

Wasn't going to win anyway but that was definitely not the fantasy performance I was expecting from Brees.

Wasn't going to win anyway but that was definitely not the fantasy performance I was expecting from Brees.

LOL. Payton is peeing everyone off this year with his game plans that have incorporated Taysum Hill and have taken away points from both Brees and Kamara.

1/2.Saints-Rams.

Vikings were in control and then Thielan (who is the best wideout in football right now) fumbled it before half, at least a 10 point swing, and then Cousins threw a pick 6 after Diggs stopped running a route on a broken play.

It's hard to say one or two plays are the only ones that affect a game filled with 60 minutes worth, but this game that might be the case. They literally killed themselves.

1/2.Saints-Rams.

With a minute left in the 1H the Vikings were ahead 13-10 and driving in for a score when Adam T. fumbled at the NO 14 yard line and it was returned into Viking territory where the Saints later went in for the score. Instead of being up 20-10 at the half the Vikes were down 17-13. That was a killer and then in the 2H Cousins threw a pick six. That was all she wrote.

EDIT: sorry to duplicate NineOneSeven's post.

Don’t be surprised if he sits the whole game if the Pats get control early.
Jonas Gray ran for 200 yards and 4 TDs in one game in 2014 against the Colts.
He was late the next game and he dressed up and didn’t play ever again.

He played in five more games, including one playoff game.

I distinctly remember. Wasn’t he late because there was a crazy snow storm and the coach wouldn’t cut him any slack ? I could be making this up , but it comes to my mind for some reason.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom