NFL Thread - 2019 | Page 116 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread - 2019

Perfect world we use the technology that we have to get right. But we are straddling this strange zone where we want to not render officials (or umpires) obsolete so its like "call will stand unless there is indisputable evidence otherwise..."...so you have scenarios where a call on the field is 70% likely to be wrong after review but they wont change it. That's just dumb. And there are inconsistencies. There was 100% evidence that Hopkins was interfered with. Not changed. Yesterday, on the Pats INT in the end zone...now that 100% should have been called a TD on the field. But when you get to the review, there WAS some ball movement. IMO, it was similarly a 70% call that it was a TD. And they changed it. Which I'm fine with but if thats the standard, make it the standard.

There is no consistency. No firm standards, and they are making them up as they go.

You should get one challenge per half per team .. that’s it .. so 2 per half total .. and 4 for the game combined (2 for each team)

No final two minutes booth review bs
No review on every score / change of possession

Four challenges max per game .. game will fly

The last 19 seasons the Patriots have had a winning record and 18 of them they have won 10 games and still these Boston media mouth breathers and national pundits expect perfection each week or the team sucks.

It’s so annoying. Legit criticism gets overblown.

Can't disagree more, and you know I am a fellow Pats fan...the threshold to overturn, as it is written is already wrong (this wont change with a new guy), and is also being applied inconsistently (this part is on Riveron) which makes it a complete crapshoot
Riveron is the issue. He doesn’t either know the rules or just inconsistently calls them.
The PI rule is a joke. If the Hopkins play isn’t overturned it’s not going to happen unless it’s Nickel-Robey 2.0.

Mike Perreria left the job because the stress wasn’t worth the pay.
Dean Blandino left the job because the stress wasn’t worth the pay.
Al Riveron is the problem now.

You should get one challenge per half per team .. that’s it .. so 2 per half total .. and 4 for the game combined (2 for each team)

No final two minutes booth review bs
No review on every score / change of possession

Four challenges max per game .. game will fly

I hate the last 2 minute thing too. Take that away and suddenly, coaches will learn (except Kitchens he's stupid) to hold one challenge a game till the last 2 minutes.

Riveron is the issue. He doesn’t either know the rules or just inconsistently calls them.
The PI rule is a joke. If the Hopkins play isn’t overturned it’s not going to happen unless it’s Nickel-Robey 2.0.

Mike Perreria left the job because the stress wasn’t worth the pay.
Dean Blandino left the job because the stress wasn’t worth the pay.
Al Riveron is the problem now.

I know how you feel about Peter King but he blasted Riveron this morning in his column.

1. I think I like what DeAndre Hopkins said on Twitter after the Texans got blown out at Baltimore. Loved it, in fact. Backstory: Scoreless game, fourth-and-two for Houston at the Baltimore 33-yard line. Deshaun Watson threw deep to the right goal line, and Baltimore cornerback Marlon Humphrey hooked and mugged Hopkins before the ball arrived. No flag. Houston coach Bill O’Brien threw the challenge flag, and the non-call was upheld. “We need someone new in New York deciding calls,” Hopkins said. Couldn’t have said it better myself. If NFL senior vice president of officiating Al Riveron isn’t going to overturn that call, he should not be sitting in judgement of any calls, period.

2. I think the maddening part is Riveron and everyone else in NFL offices in New York sitting there and not addressing the elephant in the league: The owners voted 31-1 to give coaches a chance to challenge pass-interference calls, to allow reviews on plays that were not called pass interference but coaches believed a flag should have been thrown. Entering the weekend, according to ESPN, 32 of the last 33 coaches challenges were not overturned. Yet Riveron and the NFL sit there, sphinx-like, saying nothing, not acknowledging that the rule that was passed in March is being ignored in November. It’s outrageous. Absolutely outrageous. Someone changed the rules without telling the coaches and without telling the public. Say something, Al Riveron. Say something, Troy Vincent. Say something, Roger Goodell. Jobs are at stake here, and all of you sit there like Kevin Bacon in “Animal House.” “ALL IS WELL! ALL IS WELL!” It’s not. Not at all.

I know how you feel about Peter King but he blasted Riveron this morning in his column.

1. I think I like what DeAndre Hopkins said on Twitter after the Texans got blown out at Baltimore. Loved it, in fact. Backstory: Scoreless game, fourth-and-two for Houston at the Baltimore 33-yard line. Deshaun Watson threw deep to the right goal line, and Baltimore cornerback Marlon Humphrey hooked and mugged Hopkins before the ball arrived. No flag. Houston coach Bill O’Brien threw the challenge flag, and the non-call was upheld. “We need someone new in New York deciding calls,” Hopkins said. Couldn’t have said it better myself. If NFL senior vice president of officiating Al Riveron isn’t going to overturn that call, he should not be sitting in judgement of any calls, period.

2. I think the maddening part is Riveron and everyone else in NFL offices in New York sitting there and not addressing the elephant in the league: The owners voted 31-1 to give coaches a chance to challenge pass-interference calls, to allow reviews on plays that were not called pass interference but coaches believed a flag should have been thrown. Entering the weekend, according to ESPN, 32 of the last 33 coaches challenges were not overturned. Yet Riveron and the NFL sit there, sphinx-like, saying nothing, not acknowledging that the rule that was passed in March is being ignored in November. It’s outrageous. Absolutely outrageous. Someone changed the rules without telling the coaches and without telling the public. Say something, Al Riveron. Say something, Troy Vincent. Say something, Roger Goodell. Jobs are at stake here, and all of you sit there like Kevin Bacon in “Animal House.” “ALL IS WELL! ALL IS WELL!” It’s not. Not at all.
Like you said though screw Peter King.
His takeaway from the Myles Garrett incident was too ask parents who wouldn’t let their kids play football thing of that incident:
He is a pandering puke. FNIA stopped using him because the guy wasn’t liked by focus groups.

This actually has a chance to happen if the NFL keeps the revenue split 50:50 and adds 4 more players per roster like the rumored proposals.

Every team would get 2 byes and would play a neutral site game.
The neutral site game is rumored to be a cross-conference game like division winners from other conferences playing.
Like AFC East winner would play NFC east winner year 1, NFC South winner year 2, West year 3 and North year so on in addition to playing another cross-division from the other conference in the same year.

So you would get 5 cross-conference games a year not 4.

Denver if they aren’t ready for Lock.
Raiders if they move on from Carr.
Dolphins if they don’t draft a QB.
Redskins if Haskins isn’t ready.
New England if Brady retires.
Tennessee isn’t resigning Mariotta.
LA Chargers don’t have a QB signed for next Year as Rivers is a FA.
Chicago will need a QB.
Bengals will need a QB.

Cam will find a new team.

I don't think Raiders move on from Carr. Gruden loves game managers and that's what Carr is at this point.

Greenbay is a bogus 8-2. They get about five favorable calls per game or would be 5-5. I think Minnesota wins that division. Minnesota was sleeping for the first half today and then just whooped up on a Denver team that isn't terrible.

they are the NFC Patriots in relation to referee love

This actually has a chance to happen if the NFL keeps the revenue split 50:50 and adds 4 more players per roster like the rumored proposals.

The neutral site game is rumored to be a cross-conference game like division winners from other conferences playing.
Like AFC East winner would play NFC east winner year 1, NFC South winner year 2, West year 3 and North year so on in addition to playing another cross-division from the other conference in the same year.

I've been on board with this since 1st seeing it. Cutting out 2 preseason games and adding in a 1 extra game and a bye week is a win for everyone involved I think. Think they'd be better off bumping the start of the season up 1 week though. Having extra games in the northeast in Dec/Jan isn't the greatest idea.

Too much football for me but then again my appetite for it decreases yearly.

It used to be a while ago that conference record was used after head to head and division record to break a tie in a division. But nowadays record against common opponents trumps conference record. That makes the Dallas/NE game critical because a loss would be Dallas' 4th against common opponents compared to Philly with the decider right now being the NYJ loss. So if Philly loses to Seattle they can still win the tiebreaker if Dallas loses to NE as long as Philly beats Dallas at the Linc and takes care of business against NYG, Wash and Miami.

Is the neutral site always going to be international are we thinking? London or Mexico City?

Article mentions playing in some major college venues as well. Notre Dame and Bama specifically mentioned.

Article mentions playing in some major college venues as well. Notre Dame and Bama specifically mentioned.

Bills in the carrier dome would be interesting ..

Is the neutral site always going to be international are we thinking? London or Mexico City?
LaConfora is saying London would get 8 games so the NFL could sell a season ticket package to Londoners.

The other 8 games would divided among Mexico City, Ireland, Germany, Hawaii and college football stadiums like Notre Dame and Alabama.

A couple years ago there was talk about having the Bills play here when they were snowed out of their own stadium. They ended up playing a neutral site game in Detroit. They said something along the lines of the dome not having all the necessary technology/hookups to host an NFL game. I'm paraphrasing, don't remember specifics.

A couple years ago there was talk about having the Bills play here when they were snowed out of their own stadium. They ended up playing a neutral site game in Detroit. They said something along the lines of the dome not having all the necessary technology/hookups to host an NFL game. I'm paraphrasing, don't remember specifics.

There is a very real chance the tech will be better post renovation...that being said, I feel like the neutral sites they choose will either be to grow their footprint or isolate nationally unique venues...Ann Arbor, Honolulu, Skydome, etc... I dont think the SU Dome accomplishes either per se

Yeah, I don't think that really ends up being neutral and the Bills aren't much of a draw nationally and the Dome no longer qualifies for the novelty effect I think they are going for.

Giants-Bills in the Syracuse Dome could theoretically be a game that SU could sell the NFL on.

I just think we will see 8 London games, 1 Ireland game, 1 Germany game, 1 Mexico game, 1 Hawaii game and then 4 games at sites who basically pay the NFL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom