NFL Thread - 2019 | Page 164 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread - 2019

As opposed to the 70+ year old dudes in their cardigan sweaters, smoking pipes and reminiscing about YA Tittle.

Assuming they got their 36 in all's good.

So are you saying that there is a better chance of finding a QB at the top of the draft or the rest of it? It's dumb to think you have a better chance of finding a guy later. You cherry pick a handful of guys out of the last 30 years as if that is proof of anything. There are 20 guys that never do anything for each one that ends up a pro bowl type. At the top there it is somewhere around 40-50% hit rate. After that it's 10-20%. Are you just arguing for no reason because I can't fathom that you think there is a better chance of finding a franchise QB later in the draft than at the top.

Why did your Eagles move up to #2 and trade a bunch of extra assets instead of just sitting where they were and taking the next group of QBs, Hackenberg, Cook, Kessler etc since it's such a great idea?

I'll answer that last question first. They saw a guy that was 6'5" 240 that is very athletic and throws lasers in the pocket and on the run. They also saw a guy who is tough as nails, fearless and with a good feel for the game. Sorry but it's not clear to me that Tua fits that description.

I guess it's just a difference of opinion but I can't fathom why u think Tua is such a lock to be a great player. He has serious health questions to boot. I just don't think it's a no brainer like u seem to think.

I have to chuckle about that FCS remark. Baker and Love high level draft picks from UGA and ND. Meanwhile Wentz beat them with Deontay Burnett, Robert Davis and Josh Perkins. You know those guys, right? Next guy up on the practice squad is River Cracraft. Another household name.

Wentz is the only guy in NFL history to throw for 4,000 yards with none of his receivers exceeding 500 yards.
I love useless talking point stats like that!!!

i agree, wentz is a nice system QB.

Right because if the Eagles were 4-11, all the small town Delaware Meth head kids who just go to hang out in the parking lots and start fights, could actually afford tickets and would be thrilled to go to a game for once. Giants games don’t attract that type of riff raff.

I'm not sure the Giants attract much of anything right now. You're the one that seems to enjoy ridiculing the Birds fan base and that's fine but at least they care. They travel all over the country to watch their team play. Beyond not having good teams I think there is a another reason why the Gmen have performed so poorly at Met Life. Fans are asleep and bring little energy to the table.

Love Cray Cray! Didn't want the Broncos to get rid of him

haha the way things are going Deontay Burnett will tear a hammy in practice and River will make the game winning catch on Sunday.

So what makes u so damn sure that Tua will break the trend and thrive in the NFL?
C'mon Tua did amazing things never done before there and has accuracy. People caught up in size this day and age crack me up. We don't really have to go down that list of undersized qb's that are thriving. Once again, I don't know why we always have to add in the "if injury" thing. Yeah if he doesn't heal up right, then all bets are off. Kid is a real player

Right because if the Eagles were 4-11, all the small town Delaware Meth head kids who just go to hang out in the parking lots and start fights, could actually afford tickets and would be thrilled to go to a game for once. Giants games don’t attract that type of riff raff.

Btw most of our meth heads come from south Jersey and Bucks County.

C'mon Tua did amazing things never done before there and has accuracy. People caught up in size this day and age crack me up. We don't really have to go down that list of undersized qb's that are thriving. Once again, I don't know why we always have to add in the "if injury" thing. Yeah if he doesn't heal up right, then all bets are off.

I'm just saying the injury thing adds an element of uncertainty. I think we can agree he incurred a fairly serious injury, no? I think he's a talented QB but I think u have to question whether he is the beneficiary of a massive amount of talent around him. Not knocking him, just my opinion that he's not a mortal lock to be a great NFL QB. He is a bit undersized, a good athlete but not uber athletic and does not have a cannon for an arm. I'll grant u the accuracy and that's def a big plus for him.

I'm not sure the Giants attract much of anything right now. You're the one that seems to enjoy ridiculing the Birds fan base and that's fine but at least they care. They travel all over the country to watch their team play. Beyond not having good teams I think there is a another reason why the Gmen have performed so poorly at Met Life. Fans are asleep and bring little energy to the table.
Ehh, they’re 40-43 including playoffs.

and that’s going 4-13 over last 2 years.

not great, but not horrific.

not the fans fault Reese was an idiot.

I love useless talking point stats like that!!!

i agree, wentz is a nice system QB.

A system that seems to be doing a whole lot more winning lately than whatever system being employed by Big Blah.

I'm just saying the injury thing adds an element of uncertainty. I think we can agree he incurred a fairly serious injury, no? I think he's a talented QB but I think u have to question whether he is the beneficiary of a massive amount of talent around him. Not knocking him, just my opinion that he's not a mortal lock to be a great NFL QB. He is a bit undersized, a good athlete but not uber athletic and does not have a cannon for an arm. I'll grant u the accuracy and that's def a big plus for him.
I don't know if you've read all the stuff from this morning. Is there anyone that would say he didn't suffer a serious injury? Of course not. Yes, you can't make the club in the tub, so durability might be a setback, but like I said way earlier today, if he comes off the hip injury ok, then there's no way I'm passing on him if I'm drafting 5 and need a qb, which is why this discussion came about. The kid over his career has 69% accuracy, can read defenses as good as any qb, sit in the pocket and deliver down field. Talent around him? Who has better talent on O, Clemson or Bama? Can't talk about Tua's talent around him and not Lawrence's.

Ehh, they’re 40-43 including playoffs.

and that’s going 4-13 over last 2 years.

not great, but not horrific.

not the fans fault Reese was an idiot.

Since the SB win eight years ago they're 51-78 (includes one losing playoff appearance). Not dumpster fire level yet but certainly in the bottom quartile for NFL teams over that period.

So what makes u so damn sure that Tua will break the trend and thrive in the NFL?

Can never be sure but 0 of the prior Saban QBs have anything to do with him. None of them were the #1 QB recruit in the country. None put up numbers even remotely close or were even threatening in any way. They were game managers. It's like saying Nassib's success in the NFL has anything to do with DeVito's potential shot (not that I think he has one). They have absolutely nothing to do with each other, totally different QBs and offensive system.

I don't know if you've read all the stuff from this morning. Is there anyone that would say he didn't suffer a serious injury? Of course not. Yes, you can't make the club in the tub, so durability might be a setback, but like I said way earlier today, if he comes off the hip injury ok, then there's no way I'm passing on him if I'm drafting 5 and need a qb, which is why this discussion came about. The kid over his career has 69% accuracy, can read defenses as good as any qb, sit in the pocket and deliver down field. Talent around him? Who has better talent on O, Clemson or Bama? Can't talk about Tua's talent around him and not Lawrence's.

I only mentioned the injury as an element of uncertainty. That's it. It was a bit more serious than your basic football injury.

Who has better talent? Pretty close considering Bama has 3-4 receivers that will eventually go in the first or second rounds. Hey I'd take Lawrence all day over Tua but that's just my opinion. When they met head to head last year it was a pretty decisive verdict.

Since the SB win eight years ago they're 51-78 (includes one losing playoff appearance). Not dumpster fire level yet but certainly in the bottom quartile for NFL teams over that period.
This all roots back to 1 firing.

when Reese inexplicably wanted to make Eli a running QB and fired Gilbride.

I'll answer that last question first. They saw a guy that was 6'5" 240 that is very athletic and throws lasers in the pocket and on the run. They also saw a guy who is tough as nails, fearless and with a good feel for the game. Sorry but it's not clear to me that Tua fits that description.

I guess it's just a difference of opinion but I can't fathom why u think Tua is such a lock to be a great player. He has serious health questions to boot. I just don't think it's a no brainer like u seem to think.

If you change history sure, Wentz managed to play 1 full healthy season of college football at the FCS level and threw for 42 less TDs and 4 more picks against the likes of Weber St and Montana while Tua was going against the best teams that exist. I think he's got as good a shot as any QB this year to be a franchise guy. Hence why the Tank for Tua thing existed. People just start to pick apart guys that are good for too long. People on here think that he had a bad game against LSU other than that he threw for 400+ yards and 4 tds on 1 leg trying to save his team after having ankle surgery 3 weeks prior. Guy might be too fearless if anything.

Can never be sure but 0 of the prior Saban QBs have anything to do with him. None of them were the #1 QB recruit in the country. None put up numbers even remotely close or were even threatening in any way. They were game managers. It's like saying Nassib's success in the NFL has anything to do with DeVito's potential shot (not that I think he has one). They have absolutely nothing to do with each other, totally different QBs and offensive system.

Fair points.

My reasoning for thinking that he's not a lock to be a star, and I had this opinion prior to the injury btw, is that he's undersized, not super athletic and does not have great arm strength. He is very accurate and seems to make good decisions so that insures he won't be a bust. But a top 5 pick better be more than that. JMO.

Tua is done.

will never have a career worth a damn.

lets stop waisting bandwidt.

Tua is done.

will never have a career worth a damn.

lets stop waisting bandwidt.

Well if that's your opinion then I'm doubling down for sure because everything that you state seems to be backwards.

When they met head to head last year it was a pretty decisive verdict.
Well considering they play each others defense, not really at all decisive on each qb's play. And what does "he's undersized" mean to you?

If you change history sure, Wentz managed to play 1 full healthy season of college football at the FCS level and threw for 42 less TDs and 4 more picks against the likes of Weber St and Montana while Tua was going against the best teams that exist. I think he's got as good a shot as any QB this year to be a franchise guy. Hence why the Tank for Tua thing existed. People just start to pick apart guys that are good for too long. People on here think that he had a bad game against LSU other than that he threw for 400+ yards and 4 tds on 1 leg trying to save his team after having ankle surgery 3 weeks prior. Guy might be too fearless if anything.

Unfortunately the NFL is not completely hung up on your college stats because there are certain measurables that translate to the NFL. Wentz seems to have overcome those picks against Weber State. Size, arm strength, athleticism are not major pluses for Tua. On the other hand I grant that he is tough, smart and a high character guy.

If u took a healthy Tua and Wentz circa 2015 and put them on the same practice field I would bet it wouldn't take very long to see some major differences between the two despite what they did or did not achieve in college. .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom