NFL Thread - 2019 | Page 183 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread - 2019

It is not a huge, franchise changing hire but it is a large upgrade from the previous staff and until Jerry dies that is the best we can hope for as fans.

Will be very interested to see who they bring in as the DC.
Ben McAdoo next OC?

Ben McAdoo next OC?

I would wager that Kellen Moore is kept on.

I'm not over the moon about this hire but it is clear Jerry is in win now mode and wanted an experienced guy who could hit the ground running without the training wheels a college coach or first time HC would require.

I am just happy the JG era is finally over.

How are they remotely like each other in any way besides being white guys? That's pretty lazy.

McCarthy: reg season 125-77-2, post season 10-8. Has won a Super Bowl.
Garrett: reg season 85-67, post season 2-3. Has never won a 2nd rd playoff game
Mike McCarthy kept a horrible defensive coordinator in Dom Capers for 8 years as Defensive coordinator when anyone who watched that team knew they needed change.
McCarthy is a conservative, don’t change what you do HC who if he didn’t have Aaron Rodgers to make his record look decent should have been fired 3-4 years ago.

Rodgers prime was wasted by that guy. The Packers were good but not enough good enough because their coaching staff didn’t make changes and instead of playoff games being at home have had to go on the road which is a hard.
It’s not that hard to see why this choice is meh.
Mike McCarthy is not a great head coach. If I were a Cowboys fan I would be pissed he is the Clapper in another form.

Are the Giants going to hire a coach?
It’s gonna to be Matt Rhule. I am sure the Giants will hear McDaniels says but if it’s not Rhule he screwed it up himself.

It is not a huge, franchise changing hire but it is a large upgrade from the previous staff and until Jerry dies that is the best we can hope for as fans.

Will be very interested to see who they bring in as the DC.

100% nailed it.

If they hire Lewis (or another experienced retread DC) it'll be the same bifurcated structure of one guy responsible for the defense and the HC oversees the offense (and STs by proxy).

I wonder if McCarthy will keep play calling responsibilities.

100% nailed it.

If they hire Lewis (or another experienced retread DC) it'll be the same bifurcated structure of one guy responsible for the defense and the HC oversees the offense (and STs by proxy).

I wonder if McCarthy will keep play calling responsibilities.

I would love Lewis as the DC. I don't care for him as a HC but as DC? Absolutely. Will be interesting to see if he would take the job.

I'm not over the moon about this hire but it is clear Jerry is in win now mode and wanted an experienced guy who could hit the ground running without the training wheels a college coach or first time HC would require.

Jerry should have gone for a guy like Tony Dungey if he was in win now mode.
Dungey is on TV knows the game still and wouldn’t be in it for attention that Jerry craves. I am just glad I can cross off Brady/McDaniels duo to Dallas.

Mike McCarthy kept a horrible defensive coordinator in Dom Capers for 8 years as Defensive coordinator when anyone who watched that team knew they needed change.
McCarthy is a conservative, don’t change what you do HC who if he didn’t have Aaron Rodgers to make his record look decent should have been fired 3-4 years ago.

Rodgers prime was wasted by that guy. The Packers were good but not enough good enough because their coaching staff didn’t make changes and instead of playoff games being at home have had to go on the road which is a hard.
Mike McCarthy is not a great head coach. If I were a Cowboys fan I would be pissed he is the Clapper in another form.

Rodgers is a tool who didn't get along with a whole lot of folks so I am not sure that it is all on McCarthy.

That said hopefully McCarthy has learned from his mistakes and has evolved.

Dungey is on TV knows the game still and wouldn’t be in it for attention that Jerry craves. I am just glad I can cross off Brady/McDaniels duo to Dallas.

Dungey would have a been a good hire for sure.

I would love Lewis as the DC. I don't care for him as a HC but as DC? Absolutely. Will be interesting to see if he would take the job.

Me too. A guy like Lewis is the only way that structure has a prayer of working.

I don't think the co-BS with Rod & Richard worked well.

Me too. A guy like Lewis is the only way that structure has a prayer of working.

I don't think the co-BS with Rod & Richard worked well.

Hated Rod's scheme. So tired of 4 quarters of break and don't bend. I want someone who will play an attacking style.

There hasn't been one indication from Dungey has any interest in ever coaching again. Might as well bring up Jimmy Johnson or Bill Cowher.

Jerruh will choose McCarthy's staff for him.

Rodgers is a tool who didn't get along with a whole lot of folks so I am not sure that it is all on McCarthy.

That said hopefully McCarthy has learned from his mistakes and has evolved.

There was a BR article about the rift between McCarthy & Rodgers. It made both sound like jerks.

There was a BR article about the rift between McCarthy & Rodgers. It made both sound like jerks.

One of the premier jobs in all of sports and the best Jerruh can do is Mike McCarthy? I guess Marvin Lewis wouldn't acquiesce to all of Jerruh's demands. :)

Hated Rod's scheme. So tired of 4 quarters of break and don't bend. I want someone who will play an attacking style.

Yeah, relying on predictable DL stunts or A gap blitzes to create pressure isn't good enough in today's NFL.

Hoepfully, Jerry's DC has some experience but isn't over the hill.

Jerruh will choose McCarthy's staff for him.

None of the defensive or special teams coaches are under contract so they will probaby be all new hires. On offense Moore along with the OL and WR coaches are still under contract so odds are he inherits them.

So who is the great proven NFL head coach that you think was taking that job? There are like 8 guys that even qualify for that title and like half of them have a job and the other half are retired. The biggest gripe is that he kept a DC on that he won a Super Bowl with. I think Cowboys fans would be ok with keeping a DC around if it means they won a Super Bowl.

Your opinions are so distorted due to being a Patriots fan that you can't relate to anyone else. I'd be fine if the Bills could quit the NFL and join the XFL for a decade if I could get 1 Super Bowl win.

One of the premier jobs in all of sports and the best Jerruh can do is Mike McCarthy? I guess Marvin Lewis wouldn't acquiesce to all of Jerruh's demands. :)

Lewis reportedly wanted Hugh Jackson as his OC or it was no deal. Glad they passed on that.

Rodgers resented the fact McCarthy was the OC for the 49ers when he came out in 2005. Rodgers felt that McCarthy didn’t want him over Alex Smith and he pushed the 49ers to pick Smith over Rodgers. Mike Nolan was the HC and was more defense oriented. McCarthy recommended Smith.
Rodgers never forgot that.
McCarthy was hired by GB because of his relationship with Brett Favre as QB coach of GB and had nothing to do with Rodgers.
Rodgers-McCarthy survived because Rodgers bailed him out. However the article talks about how Rodgers hated McCarthy’s play calls and would freelance to what he knew would work better. McCarthy was basically a figurehead to Rodgers and he would scoff inside the building at what McCarthy would say to the team.

None of the defensive or special teams coaches are under contract so they will probaby be all new hires. On offense Moore along with the OL and WR coaches are still under contract so odds are he inherits them.

That's odd though by normal NFL standards. Most new coaching hires choose their own staff regardless of whether former staff is under contract. But then again this is not a normal NFL operating structure as we all know.

Rodgers-McCarthy survived because Rodgers bailed him out. However the article talks about how Rodgers hated McCarthy’s play calls and would freelance to what he knew would work better. McCarthy was basically a figurehead to Rodgers and he would scoff inside the building at what McCarthy would say to the team.

Sounds like Garret and Romo.

That's odd though by normal NFL standards. Most new coaching hires choose their own staff regardless of whether former staff is under contract. But then again this is not a normal NFL operating structure as we all know.

No it is not. Which is why this is the best the fans could hope for.

How can it be a premier job if the coach is restricted by the demands of the owner?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom