NFL Thread - 2019 | Page 62 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread - 2019

Congrats on an excellent win last night!

That said, i see several very tough games still remaining on the schedule where the betting line will be inside 3-4 points either way. If Bridgewater isn't able to go down field then opposing defenses will tighten it up to clamp down on those short throws.

No doubt.

The Chicago game in 3 weeks will be the most difficult, but the Bears offense doesn't scare me at all. I think Jacksonville is going to be tough opponent as well. I could see Brees back for the Bears game, with an outside chance he doesn't make it back until after the bye if they want to be really conservative.

I thought they had no chance in Seattle and against the Cowboys. Those 2 games were by far the toughest games on the schedule this year.

Atlanta looks like a dumpster fire this year. I'm shocked they look this bad. They really should be 0-4.

The bills fans I work with agree with Alsacs take on lowering his head. Seems like the fans are split.
I’d like to take another look at it, but the NFL has scrubbed the play from their official YouTube highlights. Just all of a sudden Barkley is playing QB.

Nothing to see here sheep.

I’d like to take another look at it, but the NFL has scrubbed the play from their official YouTube highlights. Just all of a sudden Barkley is playing QB.

Nothing to see here sheep.

That's odd...

Do they have a video of the missed FG?

I see both sides on that Allen hit but the helmet to helmet contact warranted some type of flag.

I mean, Ezekiel Elliot has been flagged for lowering his head; so they either should've flagged Allen or the DB.

Live action - the Pats DB certainly looked like he went head hunting. Replay slow mo from behind Allen looks like the DB standing his ground.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist. The NFL rules are comically complex and impossible to officiate consistently.

I hate the over reliance on replay. The Dallas game last night had an obvious incomplete forward pass not whistled dead and the ref standing around with his palms out.

Grow a sack and blow the play dead.

The first Roughing the Passer call against NO looked like a horribly soft call in live action. The replay showed the defensive player's forearm making contact with Prescott's helmet.

Not sure why Jaylon Smith wasn't flagged for diving over Bridgewater in the second half when his shoulder contacted helmet (completely inconsistent).

It's really becoming WWE.

I see both sides on that Allen hit but the helmet to helmet contact warranted some type of flag.

I mean, Ezekiel Elliot has been flagged for lowering his head; so they either should've flagged Allen or the DB.

Live action - the Pats DB certainly looked like he went head hunting. Replay slow mo from behind Allen looks like the DB standing his ground.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist. The NFL rules are comically complex and impossible to officiate consistently.

I hate the over reliance on replay. The Dallas game last night had an obvious incomplete forward pass not whistled dead and the ref standing around with his palms out.

Grow a sack and blow the play dead.

The first Roughing the Passer call against NO looked like a horribly soft call in live action. The replay showed the defensive player's forearm making contact with Prescott's helmet.

Not sure why Jaylon Smith wasn't flagged for diving over Bridgewater in the second half when his shoulder contacted helmet (completely inconsistent).

It's really becoming WWE.
Jones got flagged because their was helmet to helmet contact.
The Bills LG held on the play before Allen scrambled out of the pocket so the penalities off set.
I don’t think the penalty is an issue because their was helmet to helmet contact.
Jones just didn’t come close to loading up and going for a kill shot. The link on the previous page shows Allen was being tackled from the legs and he lowers his head and his helmet goes helmet into Jones. Jones wasn’t trying to take him out. If Allen’s Head is not going down it’s not helmet to helmet contact.
Again that isn’t saying there wasn’t a penalty it just wasn’t close to Burfict who loaded up and did an obvious helmet to helmet shot.

The bills fans I work with agree with Alsacs take on lowering his head. Seems like the fans are split.

I don't think it was as bad as some are saying either honestly. I agree with the idea that it was unnecessary, and I also have an issue with a league trying to say they're stressing player safety while also saying unnecessary roughness/personal fouls can be offset by holding or any other penalty. I just don't think that's the way it should be.

But I certainly don't think that hit was anywhere near as bad as what Burfict did this week, which IMO, should result in his banishment from the NFL.

Also, unrelated to that discussion, but the game yesterday brought back my hatred of the way Intentional Grounding is called in the NFL. If they're going to just give good QBs the benefit of the doubt and penalize bad QBs for identical plays, they should just get rid of the rule entirely and let QBs spike the ball whenever they want. It's a complete joke the way it's called.

Jones got flagged because their was helmet to helmet contact.
The Bills LG held on the play before Allen scrambled out of the pocket so the penalities off set.
I don’t think the penalty is an issue because their was helmet to helmet contact.
Jones just didn’t come close to loading up and going for a kill shot. The link on the previous page shows Allen was being tackled from the legs and he lowers his head and his helmet goes helmet into Jones. Jones wasn’t trying to take him out. If Allen’s Head is not going down it’s not helmet to helmet contact.
Again that isn’t saying there wasn’t a penalty it just wasn’t close to Burfict who loaded up and did an obvious helmet to helmet shot.

How can a ball carrier be judged as lowering his head when he's being tackled?

I find the whole "lowering his head" concept idiotic. Most of the time a player lowers their head they're trying to protect their body or the ball.

I don't think it was as bad as some are saying either honestly. I agree with the idea that it was unnecessary, and I also have an issue with a league trying to say they're stressing player safety while also saying unnecessary roughness/personal fouls can be offset by holding or any other penalty. I just don't think that's the way it should be.

But I certainly don't think that hit was anywhere near as bad as what Burfict did this week, which IMO, should result in his banishment from the NFL.

Also, unrelated to that discussion, but the game yesterday brought back my hatred of the way Intentional Grounding is called in the NFL. If they're going to just give good QBs the benefit of the doubt and penalize bad QBs for identical plays, they should just get rid of the rule entirely and let QBs spike the ball whenever they want. It's a complete joke the way it's called.

I've been saying for years they should abolish the Grounding completely. There's all these qualifiers that include QB status and how hard the DL protests. One of those Brady chucks was pathetic. Nobody close, in the pocket, and 3yds short of the LOS.
Anyone remember the Thurs. game in Miami Orton got a safety 'cause he missed Watkins by a foot 30yds downfield; God it's a joke.

I've been saying for years they should abolish the Grounding completely. There's all these qualifiers that include QB status and how hard the DL protests. One of those Brady chucks was pathetic. Nobody close, in the pocket, and 3yds short of the LOS.
Anyone remember the Thurs. game in Miami Orton got a safety 'cause he missed Watkins by a foot 30yds downfield; God it's a joke.

I think I know which one you're talking about and I actually think that one was okay. Phillip Dorsett was relatively close to the ball. It is kind of a joke though. Brady literally never even saw Dorsett; he just trusted that he'd run his route and blindly threw the ball over there to avoid the sack.

I can't remember which QB it was (I think it was Brady or Brees but not entirely sure), but I vividly remember a play where the ref originally threw the flag and then picked it up and said "There is no penalty for intentional grounding. While there was no WR in the general area of the pass, the QB thought the WR would be there and therefore, it's not intentional grounding". It was at that moment that all hope for this rule was lost.

I think I know which one you're talking about and I actually think that one was okay. Phillip Dorsett was relatively close to the ball. It is kind of a joke though. Brady literally never even saw Dorsett; he just trusted that he'd run his route and blindly threw the ball over there to avoid the sack.

I can't remember which QB it was (I think it was Brady or Brees but not entirely sure), but I vividly remember a play where the ref originally threw the flag and then picked it up and said "There is no penalty for intentional grounding. While there was no WR in the general area of the pass, the QB thought the WR would be there and therefore, it's not intentional grounding". It was at that moment that all hope for this rule was lost.

The thing with the grounding rule is the ball is supposed to get back to the LOS unless theres a receiver behind the LOS for a screen etc... The entire rule is terrible because like most rules in football it is entirely a judgement call. I do think some of the veteran elite QB's get the benefit of doubt more so than say a Josh Allen...

Brady seems to just spike the ball in the turf a bunch...

It also makes little sense to me how near the goaline QB's are just allowed to throw the ball in the stands. How isn't that grounding?

The thing with the grounding rule is the ball is supposed to get back to the LOS unless theres a receiver behind the LOS for a screen etc... The entire rule is terrible because like most rules in football it is entirely a judgement call. I do think some of the veteran elite QB's get the benefit of doubt more so than say a Josh Allen...

Brady seems to just spike the ball in the turf a bunch...

It also makes little sense to me how near the goaline QB's are just allowed to throw the ball in the stands. How isn't that grounding?

Funniest part is Jameis did that in Week 1 I think and actually got called for it. I'm pretty sure he's the only QB in NFL history to be called for throwing it out the back of the end zone.

No doubt.

The Chicago game in 3 weeks will be the most difficult, but the Bears offense doesn't scare me at all. I think Jacksonville is going to be tough opponent as well. I could see Brees back for the Bears game, with an outside chance he doesn't make it back until after the bye if they want to be really conservative.

I thought they had no chance in Seattle and against the Cowboys. Those 2 games were by far the toughest games on the schedule this year.

Atlanta looks like a dumpster fire this year. I'm shocked they look this bad. They really should be 0-4.

Jacksonville and Chicago both being road games will be difficult. I'm not impressed with the Bears offense either but their defense is no joke and neither is Minshew - that kid can play. Panthers looking better lately, SF and Indy will be very competitive. Very few gimmes. Even TB might be better than we thought.

The national media, and the rulebook, do too.

Look I dont take joy in Allen getting hurt. He seems like a good kid with a promising future. But just as Brady got nailed by the Bills here and nothing was called, which was 100% the right call because by rule that was not a penalty, yesterdays hit WAS a penalty because the rules had changed.

Fascinating to me that Teddy Bridgewater was run out of town by the arrival of Kirk Cousins, yet he is 2-0 and winning (albeit unspectacularly) while Cousins is a disaster.

Fascinating to me that Teddy Bridgewater was run out of town by the arrival of Kirk Cousins, yet he is 2-0 and winning (albeit unspectacularly) while Cousins is a disaster.

Cousins is off to a flat out terrible start by his standards, but it's weird that you equate 2-0 while being propped up by the defense as a resounding success for Bridgewater but 2-2 while being propped up by the defense as a disaster for Cousins. Neither is playing well; Bridgewater is playing better but they're both performing as bottom of the barrel starters right now.

This is of course not considering the context of what was happening at the time either; Bridgewater looked to be a below average starter in Minnesota before his career was put in jeopardy. Minnesota would have been idiots NOT to move on from him at that point.

The national media, and the rulebook, do too.

Look I dont take joy in Allen getting hurt. He seems like a good kid with a promising future. But just as Brady got nailed by the Bills here and nothing was called, which was 100% the right call because by rule that was not a penalty, yesterdays hit WAS a penalty because the rules had changed.
That 20 year old hit on Brady isn’t helmet to helmet.

I mean, you entitled dummy Pats fans can see the difference right?

Maybe not after 20 years of ball washing.

The defense, ST and Kamara are carrying him.

He's thrown 7 passes further than 15 yards in 3 games and completed one of them.

There's people in this thread who think Brees arm has deterioted and it may have a bit, but Bridgewater looks like he's playing with a 15 pound football.

The defense, ST and Kamara are carrying him.

He's thrown 7 passes further than 15 yards in 3 games and completed one of them.

There's people in this thread who think Brees arm has deterioted and it may have a bit, but Bridgewater looks like he's playing with a 15 pound football.

Kamara is a great back, very slippery.

I wonder how many other RBs in the league focus as much on balance as he does. His exercise routine shown during the game last night looks like it's paying huge dividends.

Thought that was the difference in the game last night - Saints could run when they needed to and Dallas couldn't.

Lattimore shutting down Cooper was the other key.

Last night was a winner for Kaiser's take on Dak Prescott.

Saints copied what the Patriots do. They took out Dallas's primary objective and forced them to beat them with their other guys. Lattimore took Cooper out. The Saints rolled attention to Zeke and Dak couldn't beat them with the other options.

The NFC is wide open. No clue who will be the top team. AFC is NE/KC and the rest. Only 3 teams in the AFC have a winning record. NE, KC, and... Buffalo.

Only 3 teams in the AFC have a winning record. NE, KC, and... Buffalo.
You say that like you’re surprised the Bills have a winning record or you are insinuating that they are pretenders?

Did you see how our defense made “don’t touch Tom” look like a strung-out-from-roids geriatric?

Cousins blows should have kept Bridgewater. Never understood what anyone saw in cousins.

You say that like you’re surprised the Bills have a winning record or you are insinuating that they are pretenders?

Did you see how our defense made “don’t touch Tom” look like a strung-out-from-roids geriatric?
I get you want to continue this crap I really don't feel the need to feed your lust for a fight.
I actually I picked the Bills to make the playoffs and was giving them credit for being 3-1. Not manywould have expected it.
I did.
Post 684.

He’s not insinuating anything. It’s surprising because the bills have hardly been relevant for over 20 years.

Speaking of poor QB play if I am the Rams I'd be worried about Jared Goff. He's been bad going back to the start of last years playoffs. It's about a 7 game trend now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom