NFL Thread - 2019 | Page 64 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread - 2019

On a sidenote, I don't disagree with the call on Sunday, but that pick play where it wasn't called because the Bills player took himself out of the play by avoiding the pick is so lame. I don't know what the solution is there; the league wants us to believe they value player safety but the only way the Bills survive that play is by forcing Levi Wallace to plow through the Patriots player to draw a flag.

I don't trust officials to be able to call pick plays based on intent rather than actual contact, so I don't think that's the solution, but pick plays are a disease in the NFL.
It’s obviously just within the nature of the sport for the guy to completely change the natural flow of his route and then also stick his foot out to trip the defender.

It’s just good, clean football by the Pats.

No penalty necessary. You’re actually irrational, stupid, and moronic to question the lack of the call there to be honest.

By doing that you’re clearly just looking for a pound of flesh.

Last edited:
It obviously just within the nature of the sport for the guy to completely change the natural flow of his route and then also stick his foot out to trip the defender.

It’s just good, clean football by the Pats.

No penalty necessary. You’re actually irrational, stupid, and moronic to question the lack of the call there to be honest.

By doing that you’re clearly just looking for a pound of flesh.

I don't think it's really reasonable to call it pass interference considering he didn't hit anybody; at least not under the way the rules are currently written/called. Pick plays are rarely penalized even when they actually hit the DB.

I think there needs to be something done to make situations like yesterday's a penalty/to actually consistently call pick plays, but based on the current rule and the current way that officials enforce the rule, it wasn't offensive pass interference.

I don't think it's really reasonable to call it pass interference considering he didn't hit anybody; at least not under the way the rules are currently written/called. Pick plays are rarely penalized even when they actually hit the DB.

I think there needs to be something done to make situations like yesterday's a penalty/to actually consistently call pick plays, but based on the current rule and the current way that officials enforce the rule, it wasn't offensive pass interference.
There is a rule on the books that would have worked for the player attempting to trip Wallace - it’s called unsportsmanlike conduct.

The refs have all the tools they need to get it right.

Last edited:
The guy did exactly what he wanted to do.

Eliminate the QB from the game. “Kill the head” as Gregg once so eloquently put it.

He’s doing that to the Bills sideline?

How was there not a fight?

He’s doing that to the Bills sideline?

How was there not a fight?
There were some guys going after him... not sure if they showed it on TV, I was at the stadium but I think Knox and Dawkins were going after him pretty hard.

The refs knew right away that there was going to be some action so they got in between pretty quick.

You are right though... The Bills need to take this into their own hands at some point because the league and the refs aren’t going to do the right thing when it comes to the Patriots dirty play. This is the 2nd Bills star knocked out on a cheap shot by this crooked organization in the last three years.

There were some guys going after him... not sure if they showed it on TV, I was at the stadium but I think Knox and Dawkins were going after him pretty hard.

The refs knew right away that there was going to be some action so they got in between pretty quick.

You are right though... The Bills need to take this into their own hands at some point because the league and the refs aren’t going to do the right thing when it comes to the Patriots dirty play. This is the 2nd Bills star knocked out on a cheap shot by this crooked organization in the last three years.

Hey, that Gronk elbow on White wasn't dirty...no intent at all! Just a football play!

Only 3 teams won home games this weekend. The Giants, Bears and Saints. I would gather people lost a lot of money gambling.

Sure there is - it’s called unsportsmanlike conduct

What happened yesterday is not currently considered unsportsmanlike conduct. Maybe it could be added to the rules, but again, I don't know that I would trust NFL refs to discern the intent of pick plays.

What happened yesterday is not currently considered unsportsmanlike conduct. Maybe it could be added to the rules, but again, I don't know that I would trust NFL refs to discern the intent of pick plays.
Attempting to trip a guy cannot be interpreted as unsportsmanlike conduct?

I don’t think everything that’s ever been called unsportsmanlike conduct in the NFL is specifically written out in the rule book.

In fact there is a video of a Jets player back in the 80’s that got called for - and I’m quoting the ref here - “giving him the business down there”

So, as a Pats fan I will say, very impressed by the Bills D yesterday. The Bears are winning games with what is, IMO, an average at best offense and an elite D. That's definitely a model for the Bills to look towards to short to intermediate term success while you continue to add pieces to the offense and Allen continues to develop. I definitely see the Bills as the primary rival that the Pats will have to deal with moving forward and the one best poised to dethrone New England moving forward.

I'm curious to see how the team develops over the course of the season and how the offense evolves between yesterday and the next time we play late in the season. Similarly, I'm interested to see how the Pats offense is able to adjust as they were completely overmatched.

Attempting to trip a guy cannot be interpreted as unsportsmanlike conduct?

I don’t think everything that’s ever been called unsportsmanlike conduct in the NFL is specifically written out in the rule book.

In fact there is a video of a Jets player back in the 80’s that got called for - and I’m quoting the ref here - “giving him the business down there”

I don’t think he tried to trip anyone and I definitely don’t blame the officials for not noticing if he did.

I don’t think he tried to trip anyone and I definitely don’t blame the officials for not noticing if he did.
Ok well he stuck his foot out as the defender passed. It’s plain to see in the replay.

Minshew mania has struck Jax. Everyone here is enamored with him. If he even keeps them/us .500 people will be upset if foles come back lol

Ok well he stuck his foot out as the defender passed. It’s plain to see in the replay.
It just looks like he thinks about hitting him for a second and steps that way and then pulls back at the last second.

It just looks like he thinks about hitting him for a second and steps that way and then pulls back at the last second.

Looks to me like for an instant he started to stick his leg out for the trip then thought better of it. But in the meantime the receiver reacted to it and it threw him off his stride.

Looks to me like for an instant he started to stick his leg out for the trip then thought better of it. But in the meantime the receiver reacted to it and it threw him off his stride.
Yep. That’s the way I see it.

don’t get me wrong. Pick plays are bullshit and even without contact this is bullshit. But it’s not illegal as the rules are currently written/enforced.I think something needs to be done but I don’t know what it is because my confidence in the refs ability to judge intent is extremely low.

Minshew mania has struck Jax. Everyone here is enamored with him. If he even keeps them/us .500 people will be upset if foles come back lol

meanwhile the cards drafted a midget with the number 1 overall pick. who'd you rather have ? minshew and his contract or murray and his?

He blocked me cuz he doesn’t like that I told him that he supports an organization that has zero integrity from top to bottom. Sleazy owner, cheating coach, cheating quarterback, murdering tight end, psychotic rapist receiver, etc, etc

He blocked me cuz he knows it’s true, but when you have 6 rings I guess ignorance is bliss.
LOL...I guess it is much easier to convince yourself of this than it is to admit that your franchise has been inept for the vast majority of this century.

LOL...I guess it is much easier to convince yourself of this than it is to admit that your franchise has been inept for the vast majority of this century.
I readily admit that. I live it guy.

What did I say about the Pats in my post that isn’t true? Please enlighten me.

No, I believe there was contact leg to leg, that the leg was whipped around, just "faster than the human eye" type stuff.

Doesn't matter, they wouldn't have called that on the Patriots at that moment in time anyway.

Really have to beat them by 2 TDs at this point, maybe more.

BTW the Collins play at the end of the half was called correctly.
He didn’t make contact with the OL and didn’t have a running start.

No it was not. He may or may not be within "1-yard of the LOS" we can't tell, he's not on the line.

But his teammates clearly (both sides) held their OL so he could "leap" over them.

There are 2 officials watching this closely, no call.

Defensive Holding on the line is a call and it matters. BS

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom