NFL Thread | Page 236 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
34:20 minutes
Cheering while Irvin is done and hurt.
That Veterans stadium AstroTurf looks cruel to have forced players to play on. My goodness it looks like green colored cement.

I think every NFC East player who played in that stadium said something similar- that it felt like playing on colored concrete.

I’ll be amazed if Philly players from the Vet era don’t lead the count for traumatic brain injury.

NFC East back in those days was tough as nails.

I think every NFC East player who played in that stadium said something similar- that it felt like playing on colored concrete.

I’ll be amazed if Philly players from the Vet era don’t lead the count for traumatic brain injury.

NFC East back in those days was tough as nails.
From ‘70-‘95 the NFC East went 10-6 in Super Bowls.

Didn’t Eagles fans cheer when Michael Irvin was injured in 1999 and had to be carted off the field?

I think if you go back you'll notice I said Eagles fans are intense and passionate. That's it. I'm not vouching for anything else tho behavior actually improved once PSLs were required for the Linc. Btw I'm not certain that Pats' fans are on anybody's short list for well behaved fans of the NFL.

Yep.

I’m shocked at how many here don’t get what u and the NFL are saying about it.

I was ahead or romo, I knew exactly what they were checking on and I knew right away that 1. It wasn’t a catch and 2. Shite was going to hit the fan.

No excuse for that last stupidass play.

Another sideline play script u could use is...

‘I bet I can fool B.B. and the patriots with a fake spike!!

We’ll show the Seahawks how it’s done!!’

Fluckin idiots.

Too may times it's not the refs but rather the stupid rules that the NFL puts in place.

Yes. I have many good friends from college (went to undergrad in Eastern PA) who are diehard Iggle fans from suburban Philly & South Jersey.

They are mostly intelligent, well-educated people who morph into colossal white trash when talking about their Iggles.

The venom spewed at McNabb throughout his career will forever make each Philly choke job that much sweeter for me.

Bpo is the classiest Bird fan I’ve ever interacted with.

haha that bad, huh? ;)

Thomas Davis gets 2 games for illegal blindside block.

Gronk gets 1 game for a premeditated hit to White's head with his body armor.

Different rules for different jerseys.

I think the same guy that creates rules like what constitutes a legal catch or the fumble out of the end zone that changes possession without being recovered is also the same guy that hands out fines and suspensions.

I think if you go back you'll notice I said Eagles fans are intense and passionate. That's it. I'm not vouching for anything else tho behavior actually improved once PSLs were required for the Linc. Btw I'm not certain that Pats' fans are on anybody's short list for well behaved fans of the NFL.
Patriots fans at Gillette are spoiled country club fans who aren’t loud and that hurts the team.
The fans at Gillette are soft entitled and my grandfather is a season ticket holder he says it’s never loud or intimidating unless Peyton Manning was the opposing QB.
Patriots fans are not pre-2004 Red Sox intense fans.

It’s going to get reduced to one on appeal.

Patriots fans at Gillette are spoiled country club fans who aren’t loud and that hurts the team.
The fans at Gillette are soft entitled and my grandfather is a season ticket holder he says it’s never loud or intimidating unless Peyton Manning was the opposing QB.
Patriots fans are not pre-2004 Red Sox intense fans.

Fair point.

It’s going to get reduced to one on appeal.
If he was a patsie, they’d appeal...then have the appeal date in March.

It would get knocked to 1, and he’d likely have a hammy for game 1 anyway.

If he was a patsie, they’d appeal...then have the appeal date in March.

It would get knocked to 1, and he’d likely have a hammy for game 1 anyway.
Gronk got 1 game.
Appealed and was denied.
He missed the MNF game last week and look what happened to the offense.
The NFL should have suspended him for the next Bills game as I wish the Pats won that Fins game so they could have lost this Bills game and helped them out.

Dyson already caught the ball and was running.
It’s not the same.
Dyson was a runner when he stretched.
James was not a runner he was completing the catch and when you hit the ground you must maintain control. The refs ruled he didn’t maintain control.

" If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete."

What happened in the end zone was his third contact with the ground. the knee was first, then the elbow and he still had control after each. By that time he'd caught the ball, hit the ground twice, retained control of it and broken the plane of the end zone.

" If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete."

What happened in the end zone was his third contact with the ground. the knee was first, then the elbow and he still had control after each. By that time he'd caught the ball, hit the ground twice, retained control of it and broken the plane of the end zone.
I think trust the NFL director of officials over this take.
I would call it a TD but the officials administered the rule correctly.
The rule is stupid.
It’s the same as this.
calvin-johnson-robbed-o.gif

Both were catches and neither were TDs.

I've re-read the thread on this. Here is what I've gotten:

"You must survive the ground"

"You have to hold onto the ball when you land"

"You have to hold onto to the ball when it hits the ground"

The rule doesn't say any of those things. It says you have to maintain control after initial contact. Initial contact was when the knee hit the ground.

The Megatron play is also bad call under the rule, (the initial contact is when his rump hits the ground and he maintains control), and doesn't make this one a good call.

I've re-read the thread on this. Here is what I've gotten:

"You must survive the ground"

"You have to hold onto the ball when you land"

"You have to hold onto to the ball when it hits the ground"

The rule doesn't say any of those things. It says you have to maintain control after initial contact. Initial contact was when the knee hit the ground.

The Megatron play is also bad call under the rule, (the initial contact is when his rump hits the ground and he maintains control), and doesn't make this one a good call.

Too may times it's not the refs but rather the stupid rules that the NFL puts in place.

They put those rules in place so that they can arbitrarily adjust their meaning on the fly as they see fit

No other reason to mess with obviousness

I really don't get it, Davis is a good guy with a clean track record, he was the Walter Payton Man of the Year, how does he get two games?

I really don't get it, Davis is a good guy with a clean track record, he was the Walter Payton Man of the Year, how does he get two games?

That was a vicious cheap shot. He deserved two games but then again I thought Gronk deserved 3-4 with his cheap shot. Until the NFL gets serious about this stuff it will continue every week. They pay lip service to player safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.