NFL Thread | Page 234 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd post this in the NYG thread but nobody would see it :).

I went to the game today and while I wasn't surprised at the large Philly turnout I was shocked at the number of empty seats. I get the GMen are 2-11 but there were thousands of empty seats despite all of the people that drove up the turnpike.

Btw Eli was very strong today. Gmen had a good game plan and you have to give their OL a ton of credit. I've seen Philly's front four terrorize OLs much better than NY's - they really came to play today.
A lot of people chose not to sell their tix, because they knew igg fans would buy.

Many guys in my section did that, so some buddies of mine moved from the uppers to the lower and sat with me.

Special teams disaster hat trick...blocked XP, blocked FG and blocked punt.

Fluckin ridiculous.

Those tweets that everyone besides Alsacs are beefing about are absolutely correct. Having a knee down doesn't mean anything if you're falling to the ground as a part of the catch. A knee = two feet, but two feet =/= completing the process of a catch if you're falling to the ground, which, due to James lunging for the endzone, he was doing.

Just like Pereira said, you do stuff like that at your own risk; James clearly lost control of the ball when he hit the ground.

Logically speaking, of course we all see that and say that in an ideal NFL, that is considered a catch. But based on the rule in place, the refs 100% got that call right.

On a related note, it's pretty hilarious that that the two biggest games of the week were decided by the two most controversial rules in the sport with this catch/no-catch and then the BS rule that wreaked havoc on the Raiders last night where the other team gets the ball if you fumble it through the endzone but you retain possession if that same fumble bounces out at the goal line instead.

Those tweets that everyone besides Alsacs are beefing about are absolutely correct. Having a knee down doesn't mean anything if you're falling to the ground as a part of the catch. A knee = two feet, but two feet =/= completing the process of a catch if you're falling to the ground, which, due to James lunging for the endzone, he was doing.

Just like Pereira said, you do stuff like that at your own risk; James clearly lost control of the ball when he hit the ground.

Logically speaking, of course we all see that and say that in an ideal NFL, that is considered a catch. But based on the rule in place, the refs 100% got that call right.

On a related note, it's pretty hilarious that that the two biggest games of the week were decided by the two most controversial rules in the sport with this catch/no-catch and then the BS rule that wreaked havoc on the Raiders last night where the other team gets the ball if you fumble it through the endzone but you retain possession if that same fumble bounces out at the goal line instead.

Pretty much how I see it. But I think the NFL will need to take a look at that catch rule after the year. Too many fans are going to get turned off when it's so complicated to figure out what is a catch and what isn't.

A lot of people chose not to sell their tix, because they knew igg fans would buy.

Many guys in my section did that, so some buddies of mine moved from the uppers to the lower and sat with me.

Special teams disaster hat trick...blocked XP, blocked FG and blocked punt.

Fluckin ridiculous.

I hear ya. But I've been an Eagles' season ticket holder for 15 years. No way on earth - I don't care if they're 0-15 - they'd let Cowboy or NYG fans come in and take the stadium over. Would never happen.

The fumble rule is such an easy one to fix ( and this coming from cowboys fan). If the ball goes out of bounds with no recovery, the offensive team should get the ball where the ball is fumbled live and it is the next down.

Both are stupid rules and need to be fixed badly.

Namath was on with Francesa last week and Mike asked him something along the lines of ‘what do remember most about Bear Bryant the Coach?’

And Joe said that on the 1st day of practice through the end, he was always saying ...‘I’m going to teach you guys to not beat yourselves.’

That simple line is true on so many levels.

Apparently many coaches need to go to that clinic.

It’s how the Giants beat the Bills 27 years ago and how TC gave BB a dose of his own medicine 2x later.
The only time the Patriots have beat themselves that I can think of were against the Giants.
Samuel dropping a surefire INT and Wes Welker dropping a catch he makes 99 out of 100 times.

Pretty much how I see it. But I think the NFL will need to take a look at that catch rule after the year. Too many fans are going to get turned off when it's so complicated to figure out what is a catch and what isn't.

It's not really all that complicated though. Anyone that knows the rule knew immediately that that catch would be ruled incomplete. The NFL has gotten relatively consistent in terms of what is and isn't a catch; far more than they used to be at least.

It just goes against what we, in our heads, think should logically be a catch.

Nick Wright bitterness is so tasty.
Even Kaiser gives the Patriots more credit than he does.
Pittsburgh controlled the clock Nick the Steelers D was not good yesterday.
The Patriots had 8 possessions.
3 TDs
2 FGs
1 INT
2 punts.
Nick Wright is calling that a bad game.
These haters are hilarious.

The fumble thru end zone is penalty is beyond punitive.
If you fumble out at the 1 yard line you get it there.
You shouldn’t lose possession cause it goes over endline.
Just move it to where the fumble took place if the defense doesn’t recover.

It's not really all that complicated though. Anyone that knows the rule knew immediately that that catch would be ruled incomplete. The NFL has gotten relatively consistent in terms of what is and isn't a catch; far more than they used to be at least.

Oh I agree it's not THAT complicated when you know the rule, but I think there are a lot of average fans out there that are going to get turned off when as you say, it goes against what we think should logically be a catch. I could be wrong.

The fumble thru end zone is penalty is beyond punitive.
If you fumble out at the 1 yard line you get it there.
You shouldn’t lose possession cause it goes over endline.
Just move it to where the fumble took place if the defense doesn’t recover.

Agree with that. I really don't understand the logic of how that rule came about.

I hear ya. But I've been an Eagles' season ticket holder for 15 years. No way on earth - I don't care if they're 0-15 - they'd let Cowboy or NYG fans come in and take the stadium over. Would never happen.
That’s because everyone has been to an @philly game 1x and has vowed never to go back.

And when the iggs really suck and you start to contemplate it. ..one then realizes it would be an even more terrifying near death experience.

No thank you.

I'll pull a Dennis Green and crown the Patriots. Congrats on the Super Bowl 52 title. I know Alsacs will pull a Lou Holtz and talk up the other teams but we all now it's over. Philly no chance w/o Wentz. Rams and Minny are too inexperienced. Pats own Pitt. Jax might keep it close with the defense but Bortles will make a Bortles play and blow the game in crunch time.

I'll pull a Dennis Green and crown the Patriots. Congrats on the Super Bowl 52 title. I know Alsacs will pull a Lou Holtz and talk up the other teams but we all now it's over. Philly no chance w/o Wentz. Rams and Minny are too inexperienced. Pats own Pitt. Jax might keep it close with the defense but Bortles will make a Bortles play and blow the game in crunch time.

I certainly think New England is once again the favorites to win, but they themselves are also more vulnerable than they've been in year's past.

That non-catch is half the reason I stopped watching the NFL. The dude caught that ball, dropped to the ground while doing so and stretched the ball over the line. Plane broken, touchdown. Only in a league where the rules seem to be in place just so they can tweek outcomes is that not a score.

The was no video evidence the ball touched the ground while it was moving. By rule it should have never been overturned. The nose did touch but that was after he had control and is allowable by rule. The ref up and didn’t follow the rule. He should be fired.

The was no video evidence the ball touched the ground while it was moving. By rule it should have never been overturned. The nose did touch but that was after he had control and is allowable by rule. The ref up and didn’t follow the rule. He should be fired.

The Ref did exactly as he's supposed to...affect the outcome of the game so that Kraft gets another home playoff game...the League is pleased with him this morning.

I called it immediately. Well before the Nance and Romo had a clue why it was taking so long.

But it is an immensely stupid rule. The lunge was a different 'football' play than the catch. They have to fix this.

I will admit that the Foye, Ray, Lowry, Sumpter era teams were enjoyable to watch so I rooted for Nova a few times back then. Not out of conference loyalty though, I just liked their coach and their good players. But Uconn and GTown, never. The entire ACC right now...never. They don't like us and I don't like them. I hope the whole rest of the league goes out in round 1.

I was furious after that '02 Niners game. The '11 one washed it away nicely though.

The Niners have gifted your boys with two SB championships.

Nick Wright bitterness is so tasty.
Even Kaiser gives the Patriots more credit than he does.
Pittsburgh controlled the clock Nick the Steelers D was not good yesterday.
The Patriots had 8 possessions.
3 TDs
2 FGs
1 INT
2 punts.
Nick Wright is calling that a bad game.
These haters are hilarious.

Tell me about it. He's been nay saying the Birds all the way to 12-2.

That’s because everyone has been to an @philly game 1x and has vowed never to go back.

And when the iggs really suck and you start to contemplate it. ..one then realizes it would be an even more terrifying near death experience.

No thank you.

Of course your typical NYG fan in his cardigan sweater smoking a pipe has difficulty braving the cold weather in December to make it out to the game. It's tough when the average age of your fan base is 2x that of the players on the field. ;)

Seriously, the intensity and passion differential between Eagles and NYG fans is night and day. Not a knock, just is what it is.

The Niners have gifted your boys with two SB championships.

Or, we shut them down on their own field and took care of the ball and played winning football! Steamrolled them at the Meadowlands in ‘86 too!

Tell me about it. He's been nay saying the Birds all the way to 12-2.
You guys did well on offense with Foles that shuts me. If you avoid New Orleans or Carolina I was wrong and Philly likely gets to Minnesota.

2B8F3B69-C1C9-4581-984F-BA6860F717A8.jpeg
It was a catch if I am honest but the ball did touch the ground and the stupid rule called it incomplete.

Status
Not open for further replies.