NFL Thread | Page 263 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only explanation I can think of is he was told (ordered?) not to let anyone get behind him, which is why he was playing so far off the line. View attachment 119609

Barring that, just a bad play.

He was told not to get PI bc it's a spot foul and an untimed play even if the clock has run out (which it wasn't at zero at that point).

He was told not to get PI bc it's a spot foul and an untimed play even if the clock has run out (which it wasn't at zero at that point).

BTW - this is my opinion. Aikman brought it up and so did Jimmy Johnson.

Keenum wasn't reaching the end zone from where he was so the only risk was giving them a spot foul to get into FG range.

I still can't process what I saw. That is Marcus Williams' Bill Buckner moment. That's going to define his career.

There's a difference between avoiding DPI and what happened. He wanted no parts of putting a pad on him. All he had to do was hold onto him. Minnesota had no timeouts. The game was over.

Yeah. Can anyone explain to me why that rule exists? It can not affect the outcome of the game in any way. It's not required when a team wins with a TD in OT.

No idea. And I’m honestly curious what they did to get the Saints out there. What if they refused? Would they fine individual players? And if so, who? All of them? I can’t imagine any other motivation for the Saints players to go back out there.

I still can't process what I saw. That is Marcus Williams' Bill Buckner moment. That's going to define his career.

There's a difference between avoiding DPI and what happened. He wanted no parts of putting a pad on him. All he had to do was hold onto him. Minnesota had no timeouts. The game was over.

Yeah. I hate to see players choke on a stage like that. Can’t imagine how hard that’s gotta be to get past.

Yeah. Can anyone explain to me why that rule exists? It can not affect the outcome of the game in any way. It's not required when a team wins with a TD in OT.

Well, the referee is obliged to enforce the rules. That's his job. If he waives the play, he's on the hook for it. But if he goes to the Saints dressing room and after explaining it they still don't come out, then he's off the hook. The first rule of corporate culture is "Don't be at the end of the line when the finger pointing starts." :D

Everybody I know of knew they'd line up for two and Keenum would kneel, regardless of whether there were eleven, one or no Saints out there. Sports betting is huge, and the NFL knows it. So by going through the motions, they at least remove themselves by a degree or two from a potential "scandal" and a lot of negative publicity

Last edited:
Well, the referee is obliged to enforce the rules. That's his job. If he waives the play, he's on the hook for it. But if he goes to the Saints dressing room and after explaining it they still don't come out, then he's off the hook. The first rule of corporate culture is "Don't be at the end of the line when the finger pointing starts." :D

Everybody I know of knew they'd line up for two and Keenum would kneel, regardless of whether there were eleven, one or no Saints out there. Sports betting is huge, and the NFL knows it. So by going through the motions, they at least remove themselves by a degree or two from a potential "scandal" and a lot of negative publicity
Why exactly does the NFL care about what Vegas thinks in this case?

What does Vegas do to the NFL if Vegas is pissed?

I wasn't asking why they forced NO to come back out. I was asking why the rule exists in the first place.

Yeah, those were my questions too. Unless the NFL is mobbed up.

Think: more negative publicity during a season when ratings are down? It doesn't matter what it's about. It's negativity they don't need and can't afford. Especially with the Trump/anthem BS and the Jerry/Roger duel.

BTW how about Eagle with the "climbing the invisible ladder" line?

Joel Mareiniss was smiling at that one.

He said climbing the "imaginary ladder" but yeah I thought the same thing.

Yeah, those were my questions too. Unless the NFL is mobbed up.
Right?

And I don't buy an excuse like less people will bet on the games knowing they could end that way therefore less people will watch the games and the NFL will lose money, because that's bologna that not even Doug Marrone would eat.

Think: more negative publicity during a season when ratings are down? It doesn't matter what it's about. It's negativity they don't need and can't afford. Especially with the Trump/anthem BS and the Jerry/Roger duel.
That doesn't make sense.

It's to protect the integrity of the betting process. lol

The NFL has more stoopid rules than Carter has pills.

He’s a Jets fanboy. As a Bills fan its driven me crazy over the years.

Gotcha. I really like his work with Jim Spanarkel on NCAA tourney games. They're the best duo out there imo.

Powerful drama followed by absolute farce.

Unreal. Feel bad for that saints dback. He was definitely trying to make the tackle inbounds which is why he completely overcommitted to get between diggs and sideline.

Why would he go low? it seemed like he was trying for a spectacular "knock him off his feet" tackle. I don't believe the explanation that he was trying to avoid a PI call. you're a safety. The one thing you cannot do is let the guy get behind you. You don't give yourself up to avoid the PI call.

He’s a Jets fanboy. As a Bills fan its driven me crazy over the years.

Speaking of announcers, there can't be a worse color guy in the history of NFL radio than Scott Zolak on the NE Patriots call. This clowns steps all over the play by play guy (don't know his name but he's solid) on every other play. He's a train wreck.

its not vegas making them kick the XP.. its that points is one of the tie breakers.

Yeah but obviously doesn't matter in the playoffs. Furthermore, most teams elect to take a knee so they should just throw the rule out.

Status
Not open for further replies.