NFL Thread | Page 264 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea. And I’m honestly curious what they did to get the Saints out there. What if they refused? Would they fine individual players? And if so, who? All of them? I can’t imagine any other motivation for the Saints players to go back out there.
Being professionals.

Yeah but obviously doesn't matter in the playoffs. Furthermore, most teams elect to take a knee so they should just throw the rule out.
They forced the patsies back out in XLII.

You can't have a rule for some of the time...

Agreed. Rules are, not unlike laws, written broadly for general application so that they provide a framework for interpretation and application over a long period of time and over a wide range of occurrences. You can't have a rule for every strange occurrence that takes place (like say, what if alligators come on the field?). There needs to be a rule, one way or another, to cover a situation like this. There is, and it was applied.

That said, the NFL's rule book has other more important issues to deal with.

Why exactly does the NFL care about what Vegas thinks in this case?

What does Vegas do to the NFL if Vegas is pissed?

Who needs the negative publicity when it's so easy to avoid it?

Why not? You can say you have that rule in the regular season when it matters but not in the playoffs where it doesn't.

Or you could get rid of that rule and just say that untimed extra points are only kicked in any game if they would determine who one that game. Point differential would be based on points teams needed to score to win the game, (or thought they might have to).

Guys, it’s a rule.

A fairly simple one at that.

Why try to confuse it??

How about...don’t leave the field till the game is over??!!

It was also being reviewed...

Guys, it’s a rule.

Why try to confuse it??

So are we going to get a Minnesota-Jacksonville Super Bowl?
What are the Kaiser’s picks for Championship weekend.

its not vegas making them kick the XP.. its that points is one of the tie breakers.
I agree in the regular season but that was playoff game.
No tiebreaker for playoff games
It’s about gambling. Just like the injury report. The NFL knows it’s sport is tied to gambling more than any.
It is fine.

since the D can score on an XP, suppose it also could be done for a last chance crazy score.. that score means nothing in OT.

I don't think that's the wrong decision, but:
1. Literally less than 12 hours ago Tennessee reportedly offered him an extension and he was talking about next year's staff already lol
2. It's pretty rough to have a winning record half your seasons and still get fired multiple times, especially coming off back to back winning seasons

1. Literally less than 12 hours ago Tennessee reportedly offered him an extension and he was talking about next year's staff already lol
2. It's pretty rough to have a winning record half your seasons and still get fired multiple times, especially coming off back to back winning seasons
They fired him because they don’t want McDaniels to go to Indy.
McDaniels is going to get this job.
Giants will get Shumur.

One might say it's a bunch of... Mularkey.

Agreed. Rules are, not unlike laws, written broadly for general application so that they provide a framework for interpretation and application over a long period of time and over a wide range of occurrences. You can't have a rule for every strange occurrence that takes place (like say, what if alligators come on the field?). There needs to be a rule, one way or another, to cover a situation like this. There is, and it was applied.

That said, the NFL's rule book has other more important issues to deal with.

You're missing the point. It's an incredibly stupid rule.

So are we going to get a Minnesota-Jacksonville Super Bowl?
What are the Kaiser’s picks for Championship weekend.
I think the NFL will do all it can to make sure the patsies, their followers AND their haters...play and watch in February.

Guys, it’s a rule.

Why try to confuse it??

Can you try to explain to me why the extra point is necessary at the end of regulation when the outcome has been decided yet it's not necessary at the end of OT when the outcome has been decided?

Remember when Robin Ventura hit a game winning homerun but it was recorded as a triple or something because his teammates never let him actually touch the plate, and he also didn't get the run and rbi for the play?

Kinda reminds me of that.

I think the NFL will do all it can to make sure the patsies, their followers AND their haters...play and watch in February.
It’s the Jags vs. the refs.
I mean the team sucks and only wins because of the refs.

Get ready for a week of Tom Coughlin vs. Patriots narrative.

I agree in the regular season but that was playoff game.
No tiebreaker for playoff games
It’s about gambling. Just like the injury report. The NFL knows it’s sport is tied to gambling more than any.
It is fine.

Yet the NFL by far is the most militant (among the professional sports leagues) when it comes to being against legalized sports betting outside the state of Nevada. Go figure.

since the D can score on an XP, suppose it also could be done for a last chance crazy score.. that score means nothing in OT.

But the team that just scored has the option of taking a knee - which they do just about 100% of the time anyway.

I'm sick to my stomach about the Steelers game yesterday.

Can anyone explain to me why the Steelers with two 4th and less than ones don't use their 6'5" 250 pound QB on a sneak?

Status
Not open for further replies.