NFL Thread | Page 289 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I hate the Pats...

But the Jags got away w three plays just like this in the Wildcard round.

Refs don’t throw the flag on those bang bang PI calls as much as they used to.

Flag parade?
First the Church PF wasn’t even a question.
Second while the Bouye PI was thin it was thin because Cooks wasn’t catching it. He grabbed the guy.

It’s not a flag parade. Cmon man.
That flag gave the Patriots about 30-40 yards. It was a big deal. So much so that it was brought up immediately by the halftime show hosts.

If I'm Marrone and I see that called, with the subsequent capitalizing on it by NE. I'm just trying to get to halftime and not give the ball back to Brady.

Season stats for New England:

Defensive Holding Beneficiary: 17 for 83 yards (#1 in League)
Defensive PI Beneficiary: 14 for 355 yards (#1 in League)
Combined: 31 for 438 yards, 31 FDs

Defense Holding Against: 7 for 35 yards (below average)
Defensive PI Against: 6 for 147 (Top 6 in League)
Combined: 13 for 182 yards

Patriots had an 18 penalty edge vs. their opponents on these key stats, for a total of 256 yards benefit (not to mention all the 3rd down-1st downs (would love to see that stat).

That Defensive Holding stat is off the charts statistically, the next beneficiary is at like 12 or 10.

Since their loss to the Dolphins, over 5 games, the Patriots have been called for 3 offensive penalties. For 14 yards. The Defense has been called for 5 for 45 yards. Oppenents have been called for 16 Offensive for 100 yards, and 16 Defensive for 260 yards. That's a difference, total penalties/yards of 8/59 vs. 32/360 over the last 5 games.

Does not include the over-turned TDs, etc.

The only penalty that NE is over the limit vs. the league is OPI, likely due to Gronk pushing off early in the season, and of course that impacts the other side, but other teams have good players too.

That flag gave the Patriots about 30-40 yards. It was a big deal. So much so that it was brought up immediately by the halftime show hosts.

If I'm Marrone and I see that called, with the subsequent capitalizing on it by NE. I'm just trying to get to halftime and not give the ball back to Brady.
The ball was on the Jax 38.
The team had 2 TOs and 1:30 it’s not like the Pats couldn’t have scored without the penalty.
The penalty was on first down as well.
The refs weren’t why NE won. I get people hate the team but yesterday wasn’t the game that the refs helped them the whole game.

Last edited:
Season stats for New England:

Defensive Holding Beneficiary: 17 for 83 yards (#1 in League)
Defensive PI Beneficiary: 14 for 355 yards (#1 in League)
Combined: 31 for 438 yards, 31 FDs

Defense Holding Against: 7 for 35 yards (below average)
Defensive PI Against: 6 for 147 (Top 6 in League)
Combined: 13 for 182 yards

Patriots had an 18 penalty edge vs. their opponents on these key stats, for a total of 256 yards benefit (not to mention all the 3rd down-1st downs (would love to see that stat).

That Defensive Holding stat is off the charts statistically, the next beneficiary is at like 12 or 10.

Since their loss to the Dolphins, over 5 games, the Patriots have been called for 3 offensive penalties. For 14 yards. The Defense has been called for 5 for 45 yards. Oppenents have been called for 16 Offensive for 100 yards, and 16 Defensive for 260 yards. That's a difference, total penalties/yards of 8/59 vs. 32/360 over the last 5 games.

Does not include the over-turned TDs, etc.

The only penalty that NE is over the limit vs. the league is OPI, likely due to Gronk pushing off early in the season, and of course that impacts the other side, but other teams have good players too.
Coaching doesn’t matter. You know the Patriots are an undisciplined team that commit a lot of penalties the refs always turn a blind eye on.

Tom Brady story, as told by Rodney Harrison.

Harrison liked being the first one there, to assure he was working harder than his teammates. His first day with NE he shows up 1 hour early.

Brady was already there.

Next day, 2 hours early.

Brady was there.

Next day, 3 hours early.

Brady turns to him and says, "I see you slept in again."

Coaching doesn’t matter. You know the Patriots are an undisciplined team that commit a lot of penalties the refs always turn a blind eye on.

Yeah, I actually saw a Patriots player head-butt an opponent right in front of the referee, no call...doesn't scream discipline to me. A committed penalty is a penalty and should be called, right? Taunting by a Patriot is just good old-fashioned smack tack.

Minnesota had 2 penalties.
Philadelphia had 4 penalities.
That is a non issue for some reason.

The Jags are complaining on the 4th down Gilmore play. That tells you all you need to know.
Because 2 vs 4 in a game is pretty much even. The yardage difference wasn't huge. Tells you the game was called down the middle and pretty fair. When one team has 100 yards in penalties the other only has 10, that will always raise red flags especially in a big playoff game

Because 2 vs 4 in a game is pretty much even. The yardage difference wasn't huge. Tells you the game was called down the middle and pretty fair. When one team has 100 yards in penalties the other only has 10, that will always raise red flags especially in a big playoff game
40 yards was an obvious PI on Ramsey grabbing a guy by the neck.
15 yards was an obvious PF on Church.

The only questionable call was the 30 yard PI on Bouye.
There is your yardage.

the call of the game was the PI late in the first.. marginal call but one that the Pats WR always seem to get when it matters. I thought the hit on Gronk was marginal too, they hit heads but the contact was really the result of the heads moving after the legal contact shoulder to shoulder.

Still the Pats threw like 40+ against a team that was getting a good pass rush and didnt hold one time?

I thought the Saints got hosed by the refs last week against the Vikings, but I bet nobody here did because they don’t hate the Vikings.

I know losing last week was a heart breaker for you but I can't deny it made me happy only cuz I knew we matched up well with the Vikes. Keenum had a great year but I was pretty confident he wasn't going to come into that building and come out with a W and also figured our DL would overwhelm his OL. NO would have been a much more difficult task.

the call of the game was the PI late in the first.. marginal call but one that the Pats WR always seem to get when it matters. I thought the hit on Gronk was marginal too, they hit heads but the contact was really the result of the heads moving after the legal contact shoulder to shoulder.

Still the Pats threw like 40+ against a team that was getting a good pass rush and didnt hold one time?

The Jags were flagged for 5 DPI's the entire season, 18 games, until they were flagged for 2 in this game, one of which was a good call (although those hail mary/jump balls are often dismissed as "bad pass, incidental", or maybe that's just my team) and then the horrible call down the sideline where the DB played great position D, the ball was over-thrown out of bounds and the WR engaged contact before running out of bounds himself.

I want to agree with another poster who said, "look, it was 1st down, would have been 2nd down from the 45 with two TOs and 1:28" but the reality is that the Pats offense had ZERO momentum up to that point, just 4 first downs, one of which was the Gronk penalty and he'd been knocked out of the game. They were not able to move the ball up until that Penalty.

I don't even want these calls to work against the Jags, I just want a fair shot when my team plays 'em.

They never hold. It's amazing. As a Buffalo fan, I've seen years where they've lost guys up front and that rag-tag group of lineman still, never hold. It's uncanny.

Unfortunately for teams like Buffalo, when LeSean McCoy breaks a 40 yarder, we wait to see if a flag was thrown before we celebrate. NE holds on a game ending run and...really, was there ever any question they would call anything there?

I am glad to see that Al Riveron figured out how to use replay...as the Head of Replay. Only took overturning two judgment calls against Buffalo (playing New England, of course) for him to catch enough heat to do his job.

Alsacs, I'm not trying to say New England won because of the refs. Jax couldn't close and that's why they lost. That being said, it seems that almost every Pats game, you can show...easily...how they benefitted from the officiating more than their opponent. Enough is enough.

The Jags were flagged for 5 DPI's the entire season, 18 games, until they were flagged for 2 in this game, one of which was a good call (although those hail mary/jump balls are often dismissed as "bad pass, incidental", or maybe that's just my team) and then the horrible call down the sideline where the DB played great position D, the ball was over-thrown out of bounds and the WR engaged contact before running out of bounds himself.

I want to agree with another poster who said, "look, it was 1st down, would have been 2nd down from the 45 with two TOs and 1:28" but the reality is that the Pats offense had ZERO momentum up to that point, just 4 first downs, one of which was the Gronk penalty and he'd been knocked out of the game. They were not able to move the ball up until that Penalty.

I don't even want these calls to work against the Jags, I just want a fair shot when my team plays 'em.
Up till the 2 minute warning the Pats had 3 possessions in the game.
The first one they moved the ball down to Jacksonville 10.
Then they got shutdown the next 2 drives and Jacksonville had 3 long possessions that killed clock.
They had the ball at the Jacksonville 40 with 2 TOs and 1:30. They weren’t shutdown that drive.
The Pats had a chunk play before the Gronk penalty which was a penalty and even Marrone said it. The Bouye PI was questionable but it wasn’t why Jacksonville didn’t close a 20-10 lead.

To me, calls/non- calls aside, the biggest play of the game was the 3rd and 18 conversion in the fourth quarter. Jacksonville stops that conversion and things could have been different.

Up till the 2 minute warning the Pats had 3 possessions in the game.
The first one they moved the ball down to Jacksonville 10.
Then they got shutdown the next 2 drives and Jacksonville had 3 long possessions that killed clock.
They had the ball at the Jacksonville 40 with 2 TOs and 1:30. They weren’t shutdown that drive.
The Pats had a chunk play before the Gronk penalty which was a penalty and even Marrone said it. The Bouye PI was questionable but it wasn’t why Jacksonville didn’t close a 20-10 lead.

It was the 45, but whatever.

Like I said, they had not moved the football in roughly 26 mins of game time. They did complete 3 passes before that, of course against a prevent Defense with under 2 mins left. Without the 32 yard penalty maybe they get a field goal. Maybe they don't like the prior two drives?

It's easy to look over at the other team...if they hadn't made mistakes (3rd and 18? Kneel before half? Run every 1st down) then it wouldn't have been a close game in the first place. Because they had the Pats on the ropes.

But, and this is supported by data, just when that happens the zebras turned on. Just like last Super Bowl when they threw 3 Def Holding penalties on one drive when they were down 28-3 or whatever.

All good, at least now the entire world is onto what heretofore had sounded like a crazy Bills fan's lunatic rants. Boomer said straight into the camera on National TV. When you play at Gillette (or anywhere against Kraft) you're playing against the whole NFL org

You can only go so far with Bortles as the QB, he had some nice throws, but he had several simple throws late that he just flat out missed. one down each sideline that he threw too flat with no deep help and he could have lobbed both.

the biggest play was the delay of the game, that was completed in the first half.. reverse that, at worst the Jags run 1 min off the clock and NE never gets the ball back and the Jags probably score a FG. I didnt watch how close it was, but they often let that slide sometimes by 1-2 secs. Also who does the clock in these games the NFL or a home guy? multiple times in each half the clock stopped just when it was needed for NE, in addition to at least 2 OB plays the clock was not stopped/run as it should have been by rule.

I disagree. This is a quality team. Are they gonna start an injury waiting to happen at QB while drafting somebody near the bottom of the first round? Having said that, I don't know what they should do, just don't think that rolling the dice with Bradford is the way to go. Newman and McKinnon are utterly replaceable.

Guess I'd roll the dice on the bright shiny toy, meaning Bridgewater.

As Alsacs mentioned, the transition tag for Keenum might be the way to go. I just don't think anyone should commit long-term to any of these guys. Bradford is the best of the 3 IMO, but obviously you can't expect him to play more than like 4 games a year at this point. I'd be very concerned that signing Keenum or Bridgewater long-term simply gives you a below-average starter for a long time.

40 yards was an obvious PI on Ramsey grabbing a guy by the neck.
15 yards was an obvious PF on Church.

The only questionable call was the 30 yard PI on Bouye.
There is your yardage.

To be fair, the penalties that the Patriots got is only a small sliver of the issue. There was the blatant holding on the Patriots TD run at the end of the 1st half, the hold on the run that won the game, the refs blowing the Myles Jack play dead when he likely scores a game-sealing TD if they let it go (though after watching the replay like 10+ times, I'm still not sure if he was or was not touched down by Lewis). There were a lot of game-changing calls that went in favor of the Patriots yesterday.

Patriots certainly could have won even if these calls didn't go their way though (with the exception of maybe the Jack one because that could have been a back-breaker, but again, I'm not even sure they got that one wrong).

They never hold. It's amazing. As a Buffalo fan, I've seen years where they've lost guys up front and that rag-tag group of lineman still, never hold. It's uncanny.

Unfortunately for teams like Buffalo, when LeSean McCoy breaks a 40 yarder, we wait to see if a flag was thrown before we celebrate. NE holds on a game ending run and...really, was there ever any question they would call anything there?

I am glad to see that Al Riveron figured out how to use replay...as the Head of Replay. Only took overturning two judgment calls against Buffalo (playing New England, of course) for him to catch enough heat to do his job.

Alsacs, I'm not trying to say New England won because of the refs. Jax couldn't close and that's why they lost. That being said, it seems that almost every Pats game, you can show...easily...how they benefitted from the officiating more than their opponent. Enough is enough.

The Super Bowl will be a good test of whether holding is ever called on NE's offensive line. They haven't faced a DL unit like this one all year long.

Less talk about about refs, more talk about Philly ripping out Minny’s heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.