NFL Thread | Page 290 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Less talk about about refs, more talk about Philly ripping out Minny’s heart.
I had Philly winning but Foles played almost a perfect game.
Super Bowl will come down to Philly offense vs. New England D.

Eagles will hit Brady but they will score in the 20s point wise.

Jeffrey vs. Gilmore two South Carolina guys.
Agholor vs. Butler
Ertz vs. Chung.

Not sure who the Eagles 3rd WR but former Eagle Eric Rowe who has been really good when healthy with will be the matchups.

Agholor vs. Butler
Ertz vs. Chung.

Not sure who the Eagles 3rd WR but former Eagle Eric Rowe who has been really good when healthy with will be the matchups.

Yeah. I think Brady will get pressured but it’ll come down to Foles playin mistake free. I don’t see him launching 50 yard bombs and flea flickers vs New England.

As Alsacs mentioned, the transition tag for Keenum might be the way to go. I just don't think anyone should commit long-term to any of these guys. Bradford is the best of the 3 IMO, but obviously you can't expect him to play more than like 4 games a year at this point. I'd be very concerned that signing Keenum or Bridgewater long-term simply gives you a below-average starter for a long time.

I tend to agree but it would be painful to pay Keenum $20 million + - isn't that the going rate for QBs that get tagged.

Agholor vs. Butler
Ertz vs. Chung.

Torrey Smith is the 3rd WR. I like that Ertz vs. Chung match-up.

I tend to agree but it would be painful to pay Keenum $20 million + - isn't that the going rate for QBs that get tagged.

Yes, it would cost over $20 mil I believe to give Keenum the transition tag if he accepts it.

Am I the only 1 who remembers 42 & 46??

TC will have marrone attack the patsies the 1 tried and true method to beat them...punch Brady repeatedly in the mouth...and take what u can on O.

The difference is, jags gonna need a lead in last 2 minutes because I doubt Bortles has Eli’s stones and ability to get it done then.
You got this one

Yes, it would cost over $20 mil I believe to give Keenum the transition tag if he accepts it.
Keenum before yesterday was going to get a Brock Osweiler contract 4 years 76 million with 35 guaranteed.
Now I think its unlikely gets that.
The transition tag I believe is 18 million for one year.
He should take that and Minnesota can afford that.

Gosh, this NFL penalties web-site is not good for my mental health, but it does support a few of my key theories below:

New England Patriots - 2017 Penalties - View by Complete Penalty Log - NFL Penalty Stats Tracker - List/Statistics/Data of NFL Penalties - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

1) The Patriots should fire their Special Teams coach, because he is by far the weak link of the coaching staff (unless you think, as I do, that the deal is the Patriots take penalties "for the team" on Specials so the numbers don't get skewed)
2) The Patriots really don't get called for Offensive Holding, particularly considering how much they pass
3) The late-season penalty swoon by the Patriots is real, and it's more insidious than I imagined.

The operating assumption is that YES the Kraft-lead NFL has the Patriots in the driver seat, but they have to call SOME penalties.

One theory I've held is that they don't call any penalties early in games but pile on later in the fourth when it doesn't matter...this site doesn't have the data to support that view, although anecdotally I know that's going on.
But separately, either the Patriots need to fire their Special Teams coach, or I'm right they bury penalties on Special Teams. I mean it's a no-brainer right? The Patriots would trade Special Teams penalties all day -- subtract 10 yards but it's still 1st & 10, no game-affecting implications, and the penalties ratio looks more reasonable.

Looking at the data, it's clear the otherwise squeaky-clean, well-coached, highly-disciplined Patriots are actually the WORST at Special Teams penalties in the league (bottom 5 at least)...they have committed 24 penalties on STs, which out of 100 total penalties means they have the worst ST coach because these otherwise disciplined people have no control of themselves on Specials. The average % of team penalties on STs seems to be like 16-18%, but the Patriots are the outlier at 24%. There are a couple teams at 19-20%, but noone

Why would that be? I suspect it's because they WANT it that way. Give us the ball at the 24 instead of the 34 all day, 1st & 10, no game-changing outcome, Pats ball, and now there's a flag on the board. I actually believe this is a thing.

One interesting sidebar to this investigation is that the Patriots really do not get called for Offensive Holding like everyone else. Headline stat, which they probably flash on screen during games, is the Patriots have been guilty of 18 Offensive Holding Penalties...but they really have not. 9 of those holding penalties are on that disciplined Special Teams unit, a number which looks, at a glance, preposterously high. I only looked at a few teams, but the most I've found is three such "Special Teams Offensive Holding" penalties. That means the Patriots, who throw 70% of the time, only get called for 0.5 Holding penalties per game...pretty good for a line that much maligned at the beginning of the year. Oh, and by the way, MOST of those penalties were called in the first 4 games, so they've gone 12 games with like no Holding penalties.

Finally, after getting demolished by the Dolphins, I have to give credit, because that discipline really has shown up in the last 5 games, all must-win for the Pats, have lead to a serious decline in penalties...EXCEPT on SPECIAL TEAMS!! Of the 16 penalties assessed to the Pats over these 5 games (3.2 per game), 6 of them, or 37% have been on STs. In the Tennessee game alone they committed 3 Special Teams' penalties, which helped to make the discrepancy of 10 Titans Penalties to 4 Patriots penalties look better than 10-1 (two of those penalties were Special Teams Holds, one was Unnecessary Roughness).

So, the bottom line is, when push comes to shove, NE is not called for Offensive Holding (last one was Miami in week 14) and when they need to make the discrepancy look more fair they'll fly a flag on Specials where Pats are glad to lose the yards but not impact the game.

It's pretty ingenious really.

My last theory is that there are lots of late flags thrown that will be dismissed, but will check that out later.

So far the data supports the conspiracy theories pretty well.

Gosh, this NFL penalties web-site is not good for my mental health, but it does support a few of my key theories below:

New England Patriots - 2017 Penalties - View by Complete Penalty Log - NFL Penalty Stats Tracker - List/Statistics/Data of NFL Penalties - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

1) The Patriots should fire their Special Teams coach, because he is by far the weak link of the coaching staff (unless you think, as I do, that the deal is the Patriots take penalties "for the team" on Specials so the numbers don't get skewed)
2) The Patriots really don't get called for Offensive Holding, particularly considering how much they pass
3) The late-season penalty swoon by the Patriots is real, and it's more insidious than I imagined.

The operating assumption is that YES the Kraft-lead NFL has the Patriots in the driver seat, but they have to call SOME penalties.

One theory I've held is that they don't call any penalties early in games but pile on later in the fourth when it doesn't matter...this site doesn't have the data to support that view, although anecdotally I know that's going on.
But separately, either the Patriots need to fire their Special Teams coach, or I'm right they bury penalties on Special Teams. I mean it's a no-brainer right? The Patriots would trade Special Teams penalties all day -- subtract 10 yards but it's still 1st & 10, no game-affecting implications, and the penalties ratio looks more reasonable.

Looking at the data, it's clear the otherwise squeaky-clean, well-coached, highly-disciplined Patriots are actually the WORST at Special Teams penalties in the league (bottom 5 at least)...they have committed 24 penalties on STs, which out of 100 total penalties means they have the worst ST coach because these otherwise disciplined people have no control of themselves on Specials. The average % of team penalties on STs seems to be like 16-18%, but the Patriots are the outlier at 24%. There are a couple teams at 19-20%, but noone

Why would that be? I suspect it's because they WANT it that way. Give us the ball at the 24 instead of the 34 all day, 1st & 10, no game-changing outcome, Pats ball, and now there's a flag on the board. I actually believe this is a thing.

One interesting sidebar to this investigation is that the Patriots really do not get called for Offensive Holding like everyone else. Headline stat, which they probably flash on screen during games, is the Patriots have been guilty of 18 Offensive Holding Penalties...but they really have not. 9 of those holding penalties are on that disciplined Special Teams unit, a number which looks, at a glance, preposterously high. I only looked at a few teams, but the most I've found is three such "Special Teams Offensive Holding" penalties. That means the Patriots, who throw 70% of the time, only get called for 0.5 Holding penalties per game...pretty good for a line that much maligned at the beginning of the year. Oh, and by the way, MOST of those penalties were called in the first 4 games, so they've gone 12 games with like no Holding penalties.

Finally, after getting demolished by the Dolphins, I have to give credit, because that discipline really has shown up in the last 5 games, all must-win for the Pats, have lead to a serious decline in penalties...EXCEPT on SPECIAL TEAMS!! Of the 16 penalties assessed to the Pats over these 5 games (3.2 per game), 6 of them, or 37% have been on STs. In the Tennessee game alone they committed 3 Special Teams' penalties, which helped to make the discrepancy of 10 Titans Penalties to 4 Patriots penalties look better than 10-1 (two of those penalties were Special Teams Holds, one was Unnecessary Roughness).

So, the bottom line is, when push comes to shove, NE is not called for Offensive Holding (last one was Miami in week 14) and when they need to make the discrepancy look more fair they'll fly a flag on Specials where Pats are glad to lose the yards but not impact the game.

My last theory is that there are lots of late flags thrown that will be dismissed, but will check that out later.

The Special Teams coach is getting fired.
Sources: ST coach Judge may leave Patriots

Judge isn’t having his contract renewed.
What do you call that?

Guy must be terrible. The article doesn't say his contract isn't being renewed, you may know that from somewhere else. I mean there are probably 1,000 coaches and players working on the final year of thier contract

Judge has coached with the Patriots since 2011, after working under Nick Saban at Alabama from 2009 to 2011.

Under Judge's talents and direction, the Patriots typically have fielded one of the league's top special-teams units.

Guy must be terrible. The article doesn't say his contract isn't being renewed, you may know that from somewhere else. I mean there are probably 1,000 coaches and players working on the final year of thier contract

Judge has coached with the Patriots since 2011, after working under Nick Saban at Alabama from 2009 to 2011.

Under Judge's talents and direction, the Patriots typically have fielded one of the league's top special-teams units.
He was the assistant special teams coach and took over as special teams coach in 2015.

He isn’t being renewed. This is being leaked to help the guy get another job. Rumor is he will go with McDaniels to Indy. If Belichick was keeping him this story never leaks.

Even bud light knows Philly is going to need to be lucky.

You mean like having an opposing coach have a brain cramp and call a pass play when a simple FG locks the game up? Or maybe call a pass play on the goal line when you have a battering ram for a running back? That kind of luck?

Agholor vs. Butler
Ertz vs. Chung.

Torrey Smith. Who is great when he catches the ball. Unfortunately that's 50 percent of the time

Everyone thinks I’m trolling Alsacs when I say that Goodell & Kraft are pulling the slowest fast one over all of us of ALL TIME.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Everyone thinks I’m trolling Alsacs when I say that Goodell & Kraft are pulling the slowest fast one over all of us of ALL TIME.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Kraft has lost a good part of his fanbase if he and Goodell are pulling a fast one his fanbase isn’t happy with him.
Mara has more power than Kraft.

Jones showed stones fighting Goodell.
Kraft wants a gold jacket and too be liked by his fellow owners.
Jerry Jones doesn’t care if they like him.

NFL officiating is a ton better than the college sports we watch. Yesterday's game wasn't even half as bad as the NCAA Final a couple of years ago where the officials basically handed Duke the basketball title in the last 10 minutes of the game over Wisconsin.

Don't even get me started anytime Syracuse Football goes south of the mason/dixon line

Kraft has lost a good part of his fanbase if he and Goodell are pulling a fast one his fanbase isn’t happy with him.
Mara has more power than Kraft.

Jones showed stones fighting Goodell.
Kraft wants a gold jacket and too be liked by his fellow owners.
Jerry Jones doesn’t care if they like him.
Now that Kraft has saved the patsies from St. Louis and even Hartford, Won and counting...numerous titles, what is his plan?

With all due respect, it’s a 1 Trick Pony Show...BB & TB...and he’s not getting any younger. Once this show ends and they are back to being a run of the mill program like everyone else, I can’t see him sticking around for another bottle of lightening.

Does he have kids? Are they involved? Will he just sell it to Giselle??

Now that Kraft has saved the patsies from St. Louis and even Hartford, Won and counting...numerous titles, what is his plan?

With all due respect, it’s a 1 Trick Pony Show...BB & TB...and he’s not getting any younger. Once this show ends and they are back to being a run of the mill program like everyone else, I can’t see him sticking around for another bottle of lightening.

Does he have kids? Are they involved? Will he just sell it to Giselle??
The St. Louis rumor was never happening Taglibue wanted a team in Boston market. He used it to force a local to buy the team.

Hartford was nothing. If they went there it was fine. Hartford isn’t that far from Massachusetts and again was a bluff by Kraft.
Kraft didn’t get a single public dollar for his Stadium.
He paid for the entire thing himself.
He bluffed and lost and all stuff that came out was saving face for him.

All Dynasties are one trick ponies but find another dynasty with 8 SB appearances. That is 2 dynasties in one.
Brady pre-ACL and post-ACL
E50FE5F6-8578-49FA-B963-4DDEC841313B.png

Kraft son is already doing all the work running the team non personnel. Bob Kraft is a figure Head now who gets trophies and embrasses himself talking. He wants in HOF his fanbase isn’t happy with how he wants to be liked by the owners over the team.

The NFL has been transformed into a marketing platform. It has as much to do with football as the WWF has to do with wrestling.

The St. Louis rumor was never happening Taglibue wanted a team in Boston market. He used it to force a local to buy the team.

Hartford was nothing. If they went there it was fine. Hartford isn’t that far from Massachusetts and again was a bluff by Kraft.
Kraft didn’t get a single public dollar for his Stadium.
He paid for the entire thing himself.
He bluffed and lost and all stuff that came out was saving face for him.

All Dynasties are one trick ponies but find another dynasty with 8 SB appearances. That is 2 dynasties in one.
Brady pre-ACL and post-ACL
View attachment 120326

Kraft son is already doing all the work running the team non personnel. Bob Kraft is a figure Head now who gets trophies and embrasses himself talking. He wants in HOF his fanbase isn’t happy with how he wants to be liked by the owners over the team.
They are 2 dynasties wrapped up in 1 big bow for sure.

But that is still 1 in my eyes.

Only the Giants, Steelers (with 2 different HCs in the same ‘dynasty’ if I may) and to a degree the Broncos although dynasty 1 never won and dynasty 2 was the same QB...have ever done it 2x.

Packers have 3 separate, but need to win again with Rogers and McCarthy to count.

So you are saying the pats are staying with the kraft family?

Status
Not open for further replies.