NFL Thread | Page 303 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bennett can now flourish as a not-every-down player. Someone on ESPN speculated that the reason that it cost the Eagles so little (Iggs also got a 7th rounder) was b/c a lot of teams don't want 'socially conscious' teammates. Their loss, IMHO.

Frankly, I disagree that, other than Graham, the other DE's are better than Bennett right now. He had 8.5 sacks in 2017 w/o the kind of surrounding strength that the Eagles have. Plus Bennett can shift inside on pass-rushing downs.

Here's the thing, though. None of Roseman's moves can be viewed in isolation. I'm sure he's got the sal cap issue already figured out. We'll just see what happens next.

I think that you're thinking Michael Bennett from 2-3 years ago. Yeah that guy was big time. Last half of 2017 Bennett had two sacks in eight games and was pretty much a non-factor. That's why he got in some notable on-field altercations with opposing OLs because he was frustrated. He turns 33 in November, not much shelf life there so it looks like a one year stop gap measure to clear cap space by moving Curry. Btw I expect D. Barnett to be much more productive than Bennett next year. Long for what he brings is highly productive too.

I don't care about the socially conscious stuff and I'm sure Seattle didn't either but he has a rep for being surly with the press and I just don't see him being a good locker room presence.

I like Barnett, he shows lots of promise. Made some key plays. We'll see how he does as his workload increases. But I like Bennett in a role where he can go flat out on every snap b/c he doesn't have to play as many snaps and doesn't have to worry about covering for his other linemates. Schwartz will create great situations for him. Hey, he's an upgrade over Beau Allen.

BTW, Curry's cap hit is $6 mill.

Last edited:
And another trade: Rams trading LB Alec Ogletree to the New York Giants for 4th and 6th round picks.

I like Barnett, he shows lots of promise. Made some key plays. We'll see how he does as his workload increases. But I like Bennett in a role where he can go flat out on every snap b/c he doesn't have to play as many snaps and doesn't have to worry about covering for his other linemates. Schwartz will create great situations for him. Hey, he's an upgrade over Beau Allen.

BTW, Curry's cap hit is $6 mill.

Yeah it's certainly a cap motivated move and hopefully Bennett can thrive in the Eagles rotation. I just hope Birds' fans realize they are unlikely to get the Bennett they tend to remember.

And another trade: Rams trading LB Alec Ogletree to the New York Giants for 4th and 6th round picks.

Real solid 26-year-old LB with 95 tackles last year for a 4th (comp pick) and 6th? What am I missing here? Have the Rams mismanaged the cap or something?

Real solid 26-year-old LB with 95 tackles last year for a 4th (comp pick) and 6th? What am I missing here? Have the Rams mismanaged the cap or something?
They have to pay Aaron Donald and want to resign Sammy Watkins

They have to pay Aaron Donald and want to resign Sammy Watkins

Also looks like they're still holding out hope of resigning Trumaine Johnson. Still, that's a quality piece they had to let go. Good move by the Jints.

Hello darkness my old friend
Dolphins did well.
They got a 3rd and 4th picks rumored that is good.

Putting Landry on the Browns is great.
He gets paid and is in a spot not to hurt teams in the AFC East.

Last edited:
Dolphins did well.
They got a 3rd and 4th picks rumored that is good.

Putting Landry on the Browns is great.
He gets paid and is in a spot not to hurt teams in the AFC East.
They used a 2nd round pick on landry, groomed him into an all-pro on the up and sold for a 3rd and 4th maybe. Not very happy. Especially considering where the team is

They used a 2nd round pick on landry, groomed him into an all-pro on the up and sold for a 3rd and 4th maybe. Not very happy. Especially considering where the team is

I assume you heard by now, but turns out the return wasn't even that good. A 4th and a 7th round pick.

I love what Cleveland is doing though; certainly no coincidence that they made all these moves two days before teams can start talking to free agents...they'll be taken far more seriously now. I hear a 4th trade is nearly complete as well.

I assume you heard by now, but turns out the return wasn't even that good. A 4th and a 7th round pick.

I love what Cleveland is doing though; certainly no coincidence that they made all these moves two days before teams can start talking to free agents...they'll be taken far more seriously now. I hear a 4th trade is nearly complete as well.
As a Bills fan, I have no idea why anyone would trade pick 65 for Tyrod Taylor. I'm assuming they weren't going to get serious interest from any FA QBs and wanted to stop gap vet that won't lose them games.

Tyrod Taylor with Saquon in the backfield is very similar to what he had with Shady. Since all he does is throw checkdowns and the occasional deep ball, I guess having an elite pass catching RB in Saquon, a guy who only runs checkdown routes in Landry and a guy who only runs deep routes in Gordon is kind of perfect.

Still seems a lot to give up for a guy with a somewhat substantial cap hit for a year.

As a Bills fan, I have no idea why anyone would trade pick 65 for Tyrod Taylor. I'm assuming they weren't going to get serious interest from any FA QBs and wanted to stop gap vet that won't lose them games.

Tyrod Taylor with Saquon in the backfield is very similar to what he had with Shady. Since all he does is throw checkdowns and the occasional deep ball, I guess having an elite pass catching RB in Saquon, a guy who only runs checkdowns routes in Landry and a guy who only runs deep routes in Gordon is kind of perfect.

Still seems a lot to give up for a guy with a somewhat substantial cap hit for a year.

I was expecting them to trade a 4th rounder for Tyrod for the past month; surprised it ended up being the 65th pick, but he makes a ton of sense for them. Relatively cheap one year deal so they can groom a rookie behind him, and they'll now go from leading the NFL in turnovers to possibly having the fewest in the league. The addition of Tyrod alone is probably worth at least 5 wins, and if they hit on their draft picks/use their money wisely, it wouldn't shock me if they're flirting with 8 or so wins this season which would be huge for them.

Tyrod Taylor with Saquon in the backfield is very similar to what he had with Shady. Since all he does is throw checkdowns and the occasional deep ball, I guess having an elite pass catching RB in Saquon, a guy who only runs checkdown routes in Landry and a guy who only runs deep routes in Gordon is kind of perfect.

Taylor isn’t a franchise QB but he is a professional QB you can start.

Buffalo did well but Taylor isn’t JP Losman he is just a frustrating QB who isn’t consistent.

You guys aren’t getting Cousins so you need to trade up for a QB or someone like Mike Glennon or Josh McCowan.

Browns trade Danny Shelton to the Pats for a conditional pick.
Cleveland needs to make a trade with the Jets to get the whole AFC East involved.
Shelton is a rotation player nothing special. Pats gave them a 2019 3th rounder and Cleveland gave them a 2018 5th rounder.

Alls i can say is the dolphins better get Mayfield.

Taylor isn’t a franchise QB but he is a professional QB you can start.

Buffalo did well but Taylor isn’t JP Losman he is just a frustrating QB who isn’t consistent.

You guys aren’t getting Cousins so you need to trade up for a QB or someone like Mike Glennon or Josh McCowan.
I will never say "we aren't getting so and so..". I don't think we are but this FO has zero predictability and is backed by an owner who will spend to the cap and anything extra resulting from manipulating the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.