NHL Playoffs | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

NHL Playoffs

Due to Covid restrictions, the Canadian teams couldn’t travel to the US this season and vice versa so four divisions were created(one all Canadian, one all eastern conference, one all western conference and one which had both East and west American teams) and conferences scrapped. Four teams from each division made the playoffs and had to play each other first two rounds. Each “division champion” made the Stanley Cup semifinals and matchups were determined based on regular season point totals regardless of what traditional conference each team plays in. As it so happened, three traditional eastern conference teams and only one traditional western conference teams made it to the last four.

Just to correct a minor technical point although it is still border issues nonetheless that caused the issue.

US Teams and Canadian teams could cross the border by air (not by land) as much as they wanted this year. The issue wasn't the ability to travel to a location per se, but the Canadian quarantine requirements after you travel. If a US Team comes to Canada they are required to quarantine for over a week in Canada before they could play a game (or a Canadian team coming back home from playing in the US would need to quarantine).

Just to correct a minor technical point although it is still border issues nonetheless that caused the issue.

US Teams and Canadian teams could cross the border by air (not by land) as much as they wanted this year. The issue wasn't the ability to travel to a location per se, but the Canadian quarantine requirements after you travel. If a US Team comes to Canada they are required to quarantine for over a week in Canada before they could play a game (or a Canadian team coming back home from playing in the US would need to quarantine).
Did they make a special exception for the Stanley Cup semis or have the restrictions just loosened up over time?

Did they make a special exception for the Stanley Cup semis or have the restrictions just loosened up over time?

Quarantine rules still were the same when the series started. Special exception for the series. As part of the agreement both Montreal and Vegas players agreed to bubble (hotel and arena only) not only while they are in Canada but also while they are in Vegas. None of the players can go home in the series.

That being said the quarantine rules here are starting to loosen and today they announced some clearances for those that are double vaccinated. But we are about 3/4 months behind.

I like the story today about Gms upset that Montreal is only in this because they play a style that lets them get away with more in the playoffs so thats why they are beating vegas.. So that style is so good that mid game the other night the Refs had called twice the series penalties on montreal than on Vegas even though Vegas has been the aggressor and gotten away with a bunch of clear no -calls.

As it was discussed on June 5th, thought I would provide update on our vaccination rate in Canada as it continues to ramp up signficantly due to finally procuring many doses.

Back on June 5th Canada had 7.2% fully vaccinated.
As of June 24th, Canada is now up to 23.4% fully vaccinated. (67% with one dose, and I believe very close to 80% of eligible adults)
In the past week we are growing at 1.1% each day in fully dosed.
So by the end of July at this pace we should be very close to at least 67%.

Also Ontario had a 7 day average rate of 4,300 cases daily in mid April. Ontario is now to below 300. That being said Ontario is still pretty slow to open in comparison to something like Quebec. While the Bars have restrictions outside, the streets in the city of Montreal as well as the bar patios were packed and rocking last night.

Thrilled that NYI is out.

No more scripted beer chugging episodes for the Jersey Jets' OL.

I'm okay with NYI, but it's doubtful they could beat Montreal, whose team D is almost airtight. But I am glad Kucherov will be back.

Montreal is +235 or so to win the series. $50 to win $115

or you take them at game prices of like +170 $50 to win 85 and hope they win in 6 4x85 = 340 -100 aand you net $240..

Carey Price (whom I don't dislike) has been getting open looks for most of the playoffs. That's why it seems like everyone is shooting right at him. He's square to the puck on almost every shot. So how do you beat that? Well, you either screen him or you make him move. Last night Tampa did some of both. And he was not better than Vasilevskiy.

The other thing I see is Tampa's skill and speed are a level above anything Montreal has seen thus far. Because of that, their speedy kids - Caufield, Suzuki, Koktaniemi - didn't have the free ice they got previously. Of course that could change if Montreal feels the urgency and responds. Who knows? We'll see. But Game 2 Wednesday night is huge. Tampa doesn't want to go to Montreal 1-1.

Habs vs 18 Mill over cap

I'm not that upset with it to be honest and its not really an $18M advantage over others -- its closer to $8-$10 M advantage. But I now many are upset by it with some justiication.

Many teams used the LTIR to their advantage when they can near season end-- and when you add in trades that occur at deadlines where you only get a portion of the contract for the year quite a few playoff teams are close to $5-$10 million over the cap at the start of the playoffs if you compare their total player salaries at the beginning of the playoffs to the cap line.

The Islanders are well over the cap after the injury to Anders Lee allowed them to add some players.

Obviously the excess is Kucherov. But he was legitimately hurt and would have been on LTIR or at least 75% of the season. Of course not bringing him back for the last 25% of the year helped them keep a player of about $3-$4 million annual salary.

Last edited:
Habs played well for the first half of the game so I am happy about that midway through the game.
They have played a bit better than Tampa despite being down 1-0.

But no finish / Vasilevskiy played really well.
One bad neutral zone turnover by Perry, led to about 30 seconds of sustained pressure, and a deflected goal.

EDIT - As I type this Montreal scores.
Let's go habs.

Bad neutral zone defensive turnover, but real the issue on the second goal in my view was Chiarot as he should have been able to contain the Tampa Bay player (who picked up the turnover) at the blueline. It was a weak stick attempt to stop the guy -- one he didn't even have to make. He should have just stayed between the player and the net and the period ends.

Chiarot seemed to have mentally zoned out of the play whenever Montreal seemed to be bringing up the puck to close the period. He did not adapt well once the turnover happened.

Montreal has played very well and could be up in this game. But a few mistakes and we are now done 2-1.

Game flow was in favour of Montreal tonight.

But bad mistakes by Chiarot and Edmundson on relatively innocent looking plays did them in.

Have to wonder if the big minutes (and hard minutes) that Chiarot and Edmundson are playing are causing them some mental fatigue over time. Weber and Petry are more used to these big minutes, but Chiarot and Edmundson are getting worked more than they are used to.

tough loss.. tampa made more mistakes, montreal out chanced them, tampa got the 2 luck goals and montreal struggles to finish and has all yr.. as good as the tampa goalie played he has in both games completely lost site of the puck, been going the wrong way, allowed bad rebounds but the puck is staying out of the net..

Tampa has more skill so the times Montreal breaks down it turns into an issue much faster than when Tampa breaks down.

If Tampa wins, the city must be sports city of the year. That would be two Stanley Cups, a Super Bowl champion and a World Series runner up in less than a year’s time. Impressive.

Since I am sure most Canadians read this thread.
Happy Canada Day to our Canadian posters.

Pretty clear Tampa is the more skilled team.. But crazy how many bad bounce plays have led to goals for one team and none for the other..

Surprised how the refs have just swallowed the whistle on the Tampa stuff and called so many marginal ones on Montreal.

the tampa PP is just so in control of the puck you think they will score every time.

tampa must have 4-5 end of period goals that have crushed any momentum montreal tries to build.

Pretty clear Tampa is the more skilled team.. But crazy how many bad bounce plays have led to goals for one team and none for the other..

Surprised how the refs have just swallowed the whistle on the Tampa stuff and called so many marginal ones on Montreal.

the tampa PP is just so in control of the puck you think they will score every time.

tampa must have 4-5 end of period goals that have crushed any momentum montreal tries to build.

It appears we're watching different games. The blatant stickwork Montreal is getting away with, especially the crap after every whistle, is an embarrassment. I'm not a Tampa fan, but they have speed and lots skill. Montreal has interference, boarding, crosschecking and intimidation. Shea Weber has become an absolute AH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom