Nick Carparelli | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Nick Carparelli

Why do 'you' have to know?? Why do 'you' need to understand??

This is an Internet message board, nobody 'owes' anybody anything.

But I'll explain Canal St for you. I said Nick has been 'selling' t-shirts since his Big East days, Canal St in NYC is where one finds a bunch of knockoffs and cheap merchandise on. Hence, his 'stand.'

And Opa...Hell, for all we know Tirico and Carparelli may be friends or share the same agent and he's being used to get a message out. Tricolor (love the autocorrect here) seems to be a pretty busy man, doubt he knows much about both Nick and what's going on up on the Hill.

It's Sunday Reverend, Sometimes you need to just read the scripture and take it for what it is, or try to find the meaning and reason behind it on your own...instead of just debunking it and walking away.

Isn't Mike Tirico on the Syracuse University Board of Trustees?

Isn't Mike Tirico on the Syracuse University Board of Trustees?
No idea.

And isn't there like 50 of them? Maybe the other 49 say no way.

And regardless, every trustee probably has a 'candidate' to trump.

Hell McNabb was a trustee, would he have been able to really advise when he was?? so that doesn't hold much water. They just rubber stamp the process.

Can't make knee jerk reactions just because they colossally screwed up the process end result last time.

My two cents- he's someone for the committee to consider. I think he's got experience worth exploring. However, I am concerned that he has zero administrative experience inside a P5 athletic program. He might have great business sense, but has he had to negotiate the campus politics that are going to be crucial during the Dome renovations? Can he handle the egos of coaches who all think they deserve to have the practice times/trainer/strength coach, etc?

I'd also caution anyone who says he wouldn't jump to another P5 job. If Syracuse lands another well-respected individual as AD, there is almost nothing that would stop that person from leaving for an Ohio St, Florida, and so-on job. That's not a reason to hire someone, and neither is SU/CNY connection. Hire the best candidate out there.

Why do 'you' have to know?? Why do 'you' need to understand??

This is an Internet message board, nobody 'owes' anybody anything.
Don't "have" to know and don't "need" to know. Would like to know (feel the difference?) And of course nobody is owed anything here, duh. But this "Internet message board" just happens to be the best place for SU info, and an AD choice is being discussed. So naturally people are curious. Not everyone is connected enough or versed enough on the subject to be able to read between the tea leaves, as you kindly suggest. Thank you for the Canal St explanation, think i get the drift by now.

But the point really was about unsubstantiated opinions - especially strongly negative ones. Say a poster asked if Kaiser is a good guy. Then another said no. Why? Strong opinion. Based on what? I don't want to or have to tell you. Wouldn't that at least rub you the wrong way?

Well that's just absurd. No poster would ever say Kaiser was a good guy.
Don't "have" to know and don't "need" to know. Would like to know (feel the difference?) And of course nobody is owed anything here, duh. But this "Internet message board" just happens to be the best place for SU info, and an AD choice is being discussed. So naturally people are curious. Not everyone is connected enough or versed enough on the subject to be able to read between the tea leaves, as you kindly suggest. Thank you for the Canal St explanation, think i get the drift by now.

But the point really was about unsubstantiated opinions - especially strongly negative ones. Say a poster asked if Kaiser is a good guy. Then another said no. Why? Strong opinion. Based on what? I don't want to or have to tell you. Wouldn't that at least rub you the wrong way?

That's just common knowledge

An opinion without sharing anything as to how you came to that decision is the board equivalent to "I love lamp"

Edit: if enough ppl here say it has merit, I guess it has merit. But yeah, totally frustrating

Mad would have more knowledge about UA than anyone else here.

But without context there's no way to know what the issue he has with him is.

The opinion is vested. The reasons why are frustrating you. Totally get it.
Does Carparelli post in alternating blocks of capital and lowercase?

No it wouldn't, because this is an Internet message board and I don't care what people say on it, nor do I care about most of the people on it.

I do know how to read it.

And when respected posters say something, whom I believe should know something...I take them at their word for it and move on.

I don't 'need or have to know' why they think that way.

So when I say something I suggest you believe it...same goes for that other guy, what's his name again?? MidwayNY??

No it wouldn't, because this is an Internet message board and I don't care what people say on it, nor do I care about most of the people on it.

I do know how to read it.

And when respected posters say something, whom I believe should know something...I take them at their word for it and move on.

I don't 'need or have to know' why they think that way.

So when I say something I suggest you believe it...same goes for that other guy, what's his name again?? MidwayNY??
Belief without evidence - heard that somewhere. But thanks for the reminder of your and Mad's status. Didn't realize others even suggesting the candidacy in this thread were not respected. All insider info is greatly appreciated, no need to puff out your chest.

Belief without evidence - heard that somewhere. But thanks for the reminder of your and Mad's status. Didn't realize others even suggesting the candidacy in this thread were not respected. All insider info is greatly appreciated, no need to puff out your chest.
I wasn't.

People can be wrong, that's not what I was saying.

And for the record, I have no insider knowledge on the AD search.

But will gladly rip or not rip a candidate based on their resume.

We need a guy like coyle...except, not like coyle...

I wasn't.

There's no need to rush this and we should be shooting for the Dino version of an AD. Nothing less.

I wasn't.

Fair enough. You have made it clear you oppose the candidacy itself. Mad's vagueness seemed to imply more.

There's no need to rush this and we should be shooting for the Dino version of an AD. Nothing less.

Agree 100%. It might be easy to fall into the jilted lover / inferiority complex / panic mode, but this is a major job. Would prefer to see somebody who's proven their abilities in an AD office--maybe a smaller school, but somebody with a track record of success in this space. Not just somebody on the periphery of collegiate athletics from an administration standpoint.

Agree 100%. It might be easy to fall into the jilted lover / inferiority complex / panic mode, but this is a major job. Would prefer to see somebody who's proven their abilities in an AD office--maybe a smaller school, but somebody with a track record of success in this space. Not just somebody on the periphery of collegiate athletics from an administration standpoint.

Agreed that a full vetting process is necessary - a national search.

And, I agree that getting a guy like Babers - a guy who wants to be here and is willing to commit on a long term basis is vital.

I don't know if Nick C is the right guy or not.

I'm not sure, however, that you can describe him as having been on the "periphery of collegiate athletics from an administration standpoint."

He helped run two major college athletic conferences. And he helped run the Syracuse Football Program.

It will certainly be interesting to see how this all evolves.

Agreed that a full vetting process is necessary - a national search.

And, I agree that getting a guy like Babers - a guy who wants to be here and is willing to commit on a long term basis is vital.

I don't know if Nick C is the right guy or not.

I'm not sure, however, that you can describe him as having been on the "periphery of collegiate athletics from an administration standpoint."

He helped run two major college athletic conferences. And he helped run the Syracuse Football Program.

It will certainly be interesting to see how this all evolves.

We both know I meant school administration / athletic department. Not a business selling product to collegiate athletics, not a football team administrator.

Otherwise, I agree with the entire rest of your post. They did a very thorough job last time, and I think Coyle was the right type of hire even if it didn't work out long term. If they due that level of due diligence again, we will bring in the right guy.

This may have been already covered (I haven't gone through all 9 pages of this thread), but why not Dr. Gross?

SU might have the best AD in the country (pound for pound) right now because of him. Does he have a"show cause?"

Before anyone jumps on him about FB, I'll agree that we weren't great under him but he got us out of the facilities hole, and GRob aside, he made the "right" coaching calls. It was time for P to go, fHCDM was a good hire, and SS never panned out, but it was the right hire.

[EDIT: and he did that while largely being in the BIG EAST.]

This may have been already covered (I haven't gone through all 9 pages of this thread), but why not Dr. Gross?

SU might have the best AD in the country (pound for pound) right now because of him. Does he have a"show cause?"

Before anyone jumps on him about FB, I'll agree that we weren't great under him but he got us out of the facilities hole, and GRob aside, he made the "right" coaching calls. It was time for P to go, fHCDM was a good hire, and SS never panned out, but it was the right hire.

03fwVzNRKir6LuvOVNWq_Steve%20Harvey%20Face%2018.gif

nzm136 said:
This may have been already covered (I haven't gone through all 9 pages of this thread), but why not Dr. Gross? SU might have the best AD in the country (pound for pound) right now because of him. Does he have a"show cause?" Before anyone jumps on him about FB, I'll agree that we weren't great under him but he got us out of the facilities hole, and GRob aside, he made the "right" coaching calls. It was time for P to go, fHCDM was a good hire, and SS never panned out, but it was the right hire. [EDIT: and he did that while largely being in the BIG EAST.]
ADs that are directly responsible for putting their basketball program on probation don't get a second chance...

Gross did much to position syracuse. I give him a solid B as an AD.
Having said that it is time to move forward. KS made a great hire in Coyle handled the sanctions as well as could be expected and made sure that JB understood who is really in charge. He also made sure that Coyle took care of Mike yet did so in a fashion that created it being Coyles decision. He supported a bold hire in Babers and that is just with the athletic department which is minor compared to what he is accomplishing for the university as a whole. In short I believe that he is the best leader that syracuse has had in the modern Era. I fully expect him to make another excellent decision with our next AD.

ADs that are directly responsible for putting their basketball program on probation don't get a second chance...
Then I'll be sure to coss Joe paterno, Jim Tarman, Timothy Curley, Paul Dee, Kirby Hocutt, Shawn Eichorst, John Swofford, Dick Baddour, Bubba Cunningham, and Oliver Luck off the list.

Now back to Dr. Gross...

Last edited:
Gross did much to position syracuse. I give him a solid B as an AD.
Having said that it is time to move forward. KS made a great hire in Coyle handled the sanctions as well as could be expected and made sure that JB understood who is really in charge. He also made sure that Coyle took care of Mike yet did so in a fashion that created it being Coyles decision. He supported a bold hire in Babers and that is just with the athletic department which is minor compared to what he is accomplishing for the university as a whole. In short I believe that he is the best leader that syracuse has had in the modern Era. I fully expect him to make another excellent decision with our next AD.
A solid B?! What does a guy need to do to get an A in your book? Honestly, name one other athletic department in the country that is out-performing SU on a per team basis. I don't think that I can do it, and I know I can't do it if I only look at schools with similar budgets.

Getting us in the ACC should be enough for a solid B in and of itself. Ask a UConn fan what it feels like being the odd guy looking in. Look at WVU fan behavior. Do you really think that they aren't green with envy that we're in the ACC and they're playing teams on the other side of the country?

And what did Coyle do? He fired a football coach who was clearly improving the team (our scoring rank increased by something like 41 places and if we had a normal SS defense, we would have gone bowling). Barry Alvarez went 11-22 in his first 3 years at Wisconsin. Frank Beamer went 11-21-1 (against cupcakes) at Virginia Tech. SS went 14-23 in the ACC Atlantic. Firing SS may have been the right move - I don't think that any of us really know, but let's not act like Coyle was a visionary.

As for KS, I am completely on the KS is great train. But that doesn't mean Doc Gross was anything other than the best AD that we've had in a long, long time (if not ever).

Spent like a drunk sailor and the books were a mess.

A solid B?! What does a guy need to do to get an A in your book? Honestly, name one other athletic department in the country that is out-performing SU on a per team basis. I don't think that I can do it, and I know I can't do it if I only look at schools with similar budgets.

Getting us in the ACC should be enough for a solid B in and of itself. Ask a UConn fan what it feels like being the odd guy looking in. Look at WVU fan behavior. Do you really think that they aren't green with envy that we're in the ACC and they're playing teams on the other side of the country?

And what did Coyle do? He fired a football coach who was clearly improving the team (our scoring rank increased by something like 41 places and if we had a normal SS defense, we would have gone bowling). Barry Alvarez went 11-22 in his first 3 years at Wisconsin. Frank Beamer went 11-21-1 (against cupcakes) at Virginia Tech. SS went 14-23 in the ACC Atlantic. Firing SS may have been the right move - I don't think that any of us really know, but let's not act like Coyle was a visionary.

As for KS, I am completely on the KS is great train. But that doesn't mean Doc Gross was anything other than the best AD that we've had in a long, long time (if not ever).

B is a fair possibly too generous of a grade . I supported and like gross. His failure with football the sanctions and a department that wasn't well run need to be taken into account.