Nick Carparelli | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Nick Carparelli

He was reckless with the spending and how the books were kept. An AD doesn't act that way.
You're going to have to be more specific because it sounds like you're upset with his choice of internal accountants. If that's your complaint, then you're stretching.

If, however, you're upset with his lack of smoothing, then I'm going to have to point to the surrounding area and the end results. The man made money and he did it without having any potential large corporate sponsors in the local area. That's very, very hard to do.

I see Gross getting credit for the ACC move. There have been several Big 12 expansion articles recently and they all seem to quote university presidents and university presidents visiting possible expansion schools. I think that decision may be above his pay grade.

none of this is about su guys! it is all the money ,mobility, potential . at this point,we are not a good investment . spend big,act big ,win big--get out of the big boy room if we can't compete. either commit to the big time , or down grade r status(which would be ok with me).

I see Gross getting credit for the ACC move. There have been several Big 12 expansion articles recently and they all seem to quote university presidents and university presidents visiting possible expansion schools. I think that decision may be above his pay grade.
AD's play a direct role and an indirect role. UL's entrance into the ACC is a pretty publicized example of an AD playing a direct role. TCU's entrance into the Big XII was also well-publicized.

"How The Art Of Persuasion Saved The TCU Horned Frogs" <-- Name of a Forbes story that covers TCU's entrance into both the BIG EAST and the Big XII

There's also a story that involves UL. I'm not sure where to find it, but it does a great job of outlining their process.

The AD is also in charge of maintaining a strong athletic department. That's obviously a HUGE factor when a school is asking to join a new conference.

Some have suggested that the next AD needs to be a Ponzi-scheme level fundraiser. Is that one of Carparelli' s strengths?

You're going to have to be more specific because it sounds like you're upset with his choice of internal accountants. If that's your complaint, then you're stretching.

If, however, you're upset with his lack of smoothing, then I'm going to have to point to the surrounding area and the end results. The man made money and he did it without having any potential large corporate sponsors in the local area. That's very, very hard to do.

More specific? Under Cantor, he spent outside the budget and colored outside the lines. There was no accountability as the department lost money. When new management came in and wanted to see the books, there was sheer panic in that office.

So, if you spend what you don't have, show little accountability for what goes on in your department, are sloppy with the records and books, and then are a player in an NCAA academic issue...yea, you're going to lose that job. I could say more, but I'll leave it at that.

corpjet said:
no to DG...I am shocked anyone is seriously even discussing his name...that ship has sailed, lets move on...

Seriously.

Let's find more names of mid level managers to debate! ;)

More specific? Under Cantor, he spent outside the budget and colored outside the lines. There was no accountability as the department lost money. When new management came in and wanted to see the books, there was sheer panic in that office.

So, if you spend what you don't have, show little accountability for what goes on in your department, are sloppy with the records and books, and then are a player in an NCAA academic issue...yea, you're going to lose that job. I could say more, but I'll leave it at that.
You established that he dipped into the rainy day fund. You haven't established why that's bad. We both agree that SU needed to modernize facilities and I assume that we both agree that SU AD ran very much in the black on the whole (especially towards the end). It sounds like he made the right decision, and it doesn't seem even remotely controversial. Name one large organization without debt.* What would you have done?

The rest of what you said is a combination of hyperbole and baseless claims.

Like I said in my last post, if you want me to respond to you in a meaningful way, you're going to have to say something specific.

*I can think of one. I don't think that Chipotle carries debt.

I'm just looking at the endorsements by Tirico, McDonough, and Thamel and the resume.

Syracuse guys will always endorse Syracuse guys. They aren't going to endorse the Bucknell AD.

And each of those guys are also media people who just don't see and truly witness what an AD NEEDS to do to be successful. Tirico has the most insight...but he's not in there either.

Whoever was envolved in the search to find Coyle - which concluded less than a year ago - should be immediately on the clock. If a guy leaves quickly, let's not shrivel to only think only a Syracuse guy would want to be here.

Syracuse guys will always endorse Syracuse guys. They aren't going to endorse the Bucknell AD.

And each of those guys are also media people who just don't see and truly witness what an AD NEEDS to do to be successful. Tirico has the most insight...but he's not in there either.

Whoever was envolved in the search to find Coyle - which concluded less than a year ago - should be immediately on the clock. If a guy leaves quickly, let's not shrivel to only think only a Syracuse guy would want to be here.
Downside to SU:
*The AD will inherent a fb coach that he can't change for ~3 years
*The AD will be held to a high standard
*The athletic department recently got rocked by the NCAA.

Upside to SU:
*The FB coach is Babers
*The AD is humming along and virtually all of the coaches are great
*ACC membership
*There is a sky-high level of excitement, so year one ticket sales will be high
*Strong general reputation (looks good on a resume)
*New facilities and major stadium renovations in the near future

I'd say that we're a catch. We aren't perfect, but there are many, many worse jobs.

Downside to SU:
*The AD will inherent a fb coach that he can't change for ~3 years
*The AD will be held to a high standard
*The athletic department recently got rocked by the NCAA.

Upside to SU:
*The FB coach is Babers
*The AD is humming along and virtually all of the coaches are great
*ACC membership
*There is a sky-high level of excitement, so year one ticket sales will be high
*Strong general reputation (looks good on a resume)
*New facilities and major stadium renovations in the near future

I'd say that we're a catch. We aren't perfect, but there are many, many worse jobs.

The ADs from Florida, Alabama and Michigan won't lateral to here.

The #1 at a smaller school - private or otherwise - or a #2 at a Michigan, Stanford, etc. would be stoked for the position.

We are not looking at a dearth of talent situation here.

You established that he dipped into the rainy day fund. You haven't established why that's bad. We both agree that SU needed to modernize facilities and I assume that we both agree that SU AD ran very much in the black on the whole (especially towards the end). It sounds like he made the right decision, and it doesn't seem even remotely controversial. Name one large organization without debt.* What would you have done?

The rest of what you said is a combination of hyperbole and baseless claims.

Like I said in my last post, if you want me to respond to you in a meaningful way, you're going to have to say something specific.

*I can think of one. I don't think that Chipotle carries debt.

You have a strange definition of what specific means. And nothing is hyperbole or baseless. He lost his job for the reasons I listed among others. He's not getting it back.

Just go to Axe's list- Gedney, T. Green, Manhertz, Don McPherson...all bleed orange, so let's sign them up

He's not the guy himself, but the only one on that list remotely qualified is Manhertz.

He's not the guy himself, but the only one on that list remotely qualified is Manhertz.
Are those other guys any less qualified than Mike Garrett or Pat Haden. Seemed to work for USC.

Just go to Axe's list- Gedney, T. Green, Manhertz, Don McPherson...all bleed orange, so let's sign them up

I bleed Orange.

So therefore I should be Chancellor.

That is stupid. I'm not qualified, let alone the most qualified.

NONE OF THOSE SUGGESTIONS SHOULD MAKE THE TOP 75.

Just guessing people don't realize what a good AD is or does.

No, they weren't.

Oy vey...

So you are saying that both positions below are not part of the Athletic department of either school.

Silly me, I though Football was part of the Athletic Department for both schools. Should have known that they were part of another department...Should have my head examined for thinking such fool things.

Football Administrator
University of Notre Dame
June 2000 – March 2001 (10 months)

Assistant Director of Football Operations
Syracuse University
January 1992 – July 1994 (2 years 7 months)

So you are saying that both positions below are not part of the Athletic department of either school.

Silly me, I though Football was part of the Athletic Department for both schools. Should have known that they were part of another department...Should have my head examined for thinking such fool things.

Football Administrator
University of Notre Dame

June 2000 – March 2001 (10 months)

Assistant Director of Football Operations
Syracuse University

January 1992 – July 1994 (2 years 7 months)

Football is indeed an athletic sport. An important one, especially revenue wise. It's not in the Athletic Department role. He did not see how the department is run.

It's like saying you got out of college and filled a Lexus with gas at a factory-owned service center...and thinking, 14 years later, you should be running Lexus. You did look at the timeline, right? You are indicating that being a junior member in the pre-Internet era is justifiable evidence here...just reiterating that.

Please please please say "Oh. Ok..."

So to answer, they were not. They were both involved in the domain of one sport, and a specific one, and not the AD department specifically.

So he was involved in arguably the most important sport at most schools.

That's like saying a mechanic that only worked on transmission can't figure out how to work on brakes, AC or anything else. If someone is intelligent and sharp with attention to detail, they can pretty much manage anything.

If you can manage as a director the sport of football, how hard can tennis, field hockey and lacrosse be.

Seriously.

I am betting that if you took a VP from Apple who managed about 700 mil in business who had absolutely ZERO sports experience whatsoever that he could figure out how to run an athletic department in about a month.

I wonder if Tim Cook could do it with zero experience as a previous AD. NAH He'd F it up totally, he's an idiot with no experience.