Nickname change | Syracusefan.com

Nickname change

thorpedo

Scout Team
I recently had a very respectful and interesting conversation with a friend who happens to be a full blooded nation member. I brought up Syracuse football in our discussion and my desire to return our name back to Saltine Warriors. He began to go into the whole Redskins debate but I stated that it was not to create a divide but rather bridge a gap or divide which exists in our community. A way to unify and have the University connect back with its local heritage and truly celebrate the courage, honor and bravery of the nation. Now I know this can be a touchy subject to discuss. I can envision a tribe member leading the team on the field. I don't find a fruit intimidating at all. Eventually, after expressing my idea he thought it was brilliant and truly respectful way of approaching the issue. Btw he is 100% for changing redskins name. He equates it to a racial slur. Thoughts ideas? Oh be gentle in your replies please lol

Don't get me started on team nicknames. You don't have the right to not be offended; it's that simple. As long as the term is not used in a derogatory way, even if it is a derogatory term, then it's fair game. As an example: the "N" word, which is derogatory, is used in every day language in a non-derogatory way.

The Syracuse Orange is a perfectly fine name, and while I wouldn't advocate for changing back to the Saltine Warriors, I wouldn't dislike it if it happened. It fits with the process of dropping Orange from our uniforms -- which I'm highly against.

The Saltine Warrior turned out to a hoax. Why anyone would want to use that name for anything is beyond me.

Our nickname was never the Saltine Warriors. Orangemen and the Orange, those are the only two nicknames we've ever had.

The Saltine Warrior was a mascot based off of a fight song that didn't even reference a Native American.

Syracuse is the Salt City so I've always felt that SU missed a chance to incorporate that into their nickname / mascots.

They will never have a Native American mascot, so it's not even worth talking about.

Origins of the Saltine Warrior

Cover of the Orange Peel feat. the “portrait” of the Saltine Warrior in 1931.

In 1931, The Syracuse Orange Peel, a campus humor magazine, published “The True Story of Bill Orange” and the Saltine Warrior was born. The article claimed that the remains of an ancient warrior were found during excavation of the Women’s Building, which was being relocated so that Hendricks Chapel could be built 5. The article claims excavation revealed the ancient location of an Onondagan “fortress or tribal house” which had been destroyed by a fire but included the remains of arrowheads, flint instruments, and fragments of textile. The Orange Peel credits Dr. Burges Johnson for the announcement of the archaeological findings. The Orange Peelwrites “for nearly two years campus experts have been working quietly upon those textile fragments” in order to reveal “the portrait of an early Onondagan chief” painted by Hibbardus Kleine, “undoubtedly one of those intrepid Jesuit explorers” first to visit the area. The name of the Chief depited in the portrait was “O-gee-ke-da Ho-schen-e-ga-da”, which The Orange Peel claimed translates to mean “The Salt (or salty) warrior” in English 6. The Saltine Warrior immediately became the official emblem of Syracuse University.

Saltine Warrior bronze statue in Shaw Quad, 1976.

The Saltine Warrior became a huge source of pride for Syracuse University athletics and student body. 20 years after the Orange Peelarticle, the senior class of 1951 commissioned a bronze statue of the warrior by renowned sculptor, Luise Kaish 7. The statue currently stands in the south-east corner of Shaw Quadrangle next to the Shaffer Art Building.

For 45 years, many people believed the legend of the Saltine Warrior was true. This was due in large part to media reports as factual by The Daily Orange, The Alumni News, and downtown Syracuse papers 8 9. In 1936, students in a Newhouse interpretive writing class conducted research on the Saltine Warrior and unveiled the legend as a hoax 9. Seaman Jacobs, the 1931 editor of The Orange Peel admitted that “we created the character” in the article which was written by Burgess Johnson 11. Burgess Johnson was actually the Director of Public Relations for Syracuse University, and not a doctor of anthropology as the Orange Peel article alluded. The restored ancient portrait of “O-gee-ke-da Ho-schen-e-ga-da” by Hibbardus Kleine was actually a painting by fine arts professor Hibbard Klein 12. For 45 years, what many people believed to be a true story turned out to be the carefully constructed marketing ploy of Syracuse University’s public relations department to fulfill a mascot void.

Thanks, Crusty.

Otto should be here to stay? He's unique. Remember in 1995(?) when they wanted to change Otto into something "unique?" And then were like how about the "Huskies?" (or something, was a dog if I remember correctly) That was...odd.

I get the PC thing, but how is Syracuse Orangewomen bad, but Syracuse Women's Basketball is okay? It's basically the same thing, no?

I think it's 'best' if Syracuse "Orangemen" stays as the nickname. However, our region certainly has an historical relationship to "native Americans". Does the created Saltine Warrior have any relationship to any "native American" 'tribe'/group (clothing, headdress, weapon, etc.)? If so, does that tribe favor any use by SU of the 'Saltine Warrior'? If they do not, then I think that should end the matter. If they do, then I think 'we' {SU, an alum} should. I think the Saltine Warrior gives great tribute to their valor, courage, etc. with NO negatives, and thus as an 'emblem' several University sports teams could promote those characteristics in very helpful ways. The fact that that particular Warrior is 'created' is irrelevant: it is still very much a part of both SU history and Regional history.

As an Ithaca College grad let me share what happened at my alma mater. Three years ago there was a movement that went as far as choosing 3 new mascots to choose from. It seems that since the Bombers mascot uniform was "lost" about 15 years ago, students since then did not identify with Bombers at the mascot. There were some (remember this is Ithaca after all) that the name was too violent and had no purpose. The three options presented were Lake Beast (named after a fictitious creature), Flying Squirrels (incorrectly identified as indigenous to the area), or the Phoenix (flaming bird). Luckily cooler heads prevailed (ie pressure from pissed off alumni) and the search was abandoned. My point, be careful what you wish for.

It was a wolf. The booster club has always been the Orange Pack. Agree, not very unique but more intimidating than a fruit.

Jeepers said:
Thanks, Crusty. Otto should be here to stay? He's unique. Remember in 1995(?) when they wanted to change Otto into something "unique?" And then were like how about the "Huskies?" (or something, was a dog if I remember correctly) That was...odd. I get the PC thing, but how is Syracuse Orangewomen bad, but Syracuse Women's Basketball is okay? It's basically the same thing, no?

I recently had a very respectful and interesting conversation with a friend who happens to be a full blooded nation member. I brought up Syracuse football in our discussion and my desire to return our name back to Saltine Warriors. He began to go into the whole Redskins debate but I stated that it was not to create a divide but rather bridge a gap or divide which exists in our community. A way to unify and have the University connect back with its local heritage and truly celebrate the courage, honor and bravery of the nation. Now I know this can be a touchy subject to discuss. I can envision a tribe member leading the team on the field. I don't find a fruit intimidating at all. Eventually, after expressing my idea he thought it was brilliant and truly respectful way of approaching the issue. Btw he is 100% for changing redskins name. He equates it to a racial slur. Thoughts ideas? Oh be gentle in your replies please lol
The redskins name should absolutely be changed. If only to stop grown men from doing this.

07.redskins_fan.jpg

Don't get me started on team nicknames. You don't have the right to not be offended; it's that simple. As long as the term is not used in a derogatory way, even if it is a derogatory term, then it's fair game. As an example: the "N" word, which is derogatory, is used in every day language in a non-derogatory way.

The Syracuse Orange is a perfectly fine name, and while I wouldn't advocate for changing back to the Saltine Warriors, I wouldn't dislike it if it happened. It fits with the process of dropping Orange from our uniforms -- which I'm highly against.
"As an example: the "N" word, which is derogatory, is used in every day language in a non-derogatory way."
By whom I would ask?

"As an example: the "N" word, which is derogatory, is used in every day language in a non-derogatory way."
By whom I would ask?
young african americans quite obviously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom