NIKE is now a target | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NIKE is now a target

all the FBI has to do is visit world wide wes. a lot of programs are in limbo
What is world wide Wes? I don't know and I guess it's time I did. Thanks.

Funny, a few days ago I was thinking not much drama in Syracuse basketball like last year. And then yesterday and today. Granted it has to do with other programs but I can't imagine the fall out from all this will affect all of college basketball. And certainly tons of people are posting in threads today.

We haven't landed recruits rated highly enough for this to be of much concern for us. If Syracuse was a part of this, they sucked at it lol.

This is an incredibly naive viewpoint. This is going on with far more than just the top 25 McDonald's All-American players (of which we have landed several in the past decade). At minimum half, if not more, of the top 100 type players are getting improper payments in some manner.

One thing to stress is to watch what we are saying, don't need someone coming out and saying something and someone else takes it and it turns in a scoop point shaving scandal. And then that takes on a life of its own and we have our own investigation.
So watch what you say, check the pay side first.

Boeheim has his warts (e.g., laissez-faire with players off the court, etc.), but I don't think he gives a damn about landing the latest greatest top-10 recruit through shoe company and agent shenanigans. I don't think the program is 100% clean, can't be, but there are reasons SU stops recruiting players once it becomes a circus.

Agreed, it's not an entirely clean program, but above all else Boeheim's a pragmatist. When things get out of his comfort zone, he's not going to chase a problem recruit.

It really seems ludicrous how hard we were hit for kids not punching a time clock, and collecting $40, relative to the stuff we now know.

Tells you the difference between an NCAA probe and a FBI probe.

One of two things are going to happen IMO. 1. Teams coming out through this FBI stuff are going to get hammered to the wall. 2. There's too many teams being implicated and they have to be let off lightly because of the sheer amount of teams that are guilty.

Should be very interesting on how all of this pans out.

One of two things are going to happen IMO. 1. Teams coming out through this FBI stuff are going to get hammered to the wall. 2. There's too many teams being implicated and they have to be let off lightly because of the sheer amount of teams that are guilty.

Gotta figure the more this drags on the better shape you will be once caught, because of your 2nd point.

Have a feeling it will just be too many teams. Louisville and other teams on probation caught up in this will feel the brunt. Everyone else will be on a long probation with some scholarship limits. Could be great for parity. I really hope we're not caught up in this because (1) probation and we'll have the hammer dropped on us; and (2) if we're not caught up we could be one of the major powers left standing and can really go on a years long run. Perfect time with the coaching transition.

SPORTS BUSINESS - CollegeAD

Forbes contributor Darren Heitner reports that employees of Nike’s EYBL grassroots division, along with documents, have been subpoenaed by FBI in furtherance of investigation. Three of the four assistant coaches arrested yesterday worked at Nike schools, Arizona, Oklahoma State, and USC

Is SU still on probation? I know all the coaches can go out recruiting - but are we still considered to be on probation?

Every big Nike school better worry.
No, only the agents funneling large cash payments to recruiters or recruits -- which is probably a lot shorter journey. If they were following booster money and not shoe money, the whole house of cards would come down starting with the B10 and the SEC.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom