NIKE is now a target | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

NIKE is now a target

On a local news station here in the 315 they made mention of it!
It's a little local element.
And when Pitino took Providence to the Final Four there was some pride in the fact he was a sprout from the Boeheim coaching tree.
(And the guy is a great coach when it comes to actual playing and getting the most from his guys).

An unrelated point while I'm at it.
Boeheim may have learned by being burned.
People may recall he was exposed in the 1990 book Raw Recruits for using so-called "street agents" like Rob Johnson to steer recruits to SU.
Perhaps he learned from the experience.

Book 'Raw Recruits' links Syracuse, other top schools to world of shady recruiting practices (from the archive)

What is world wide Wes? I don't know and I guess it's time I did. Thanks.
Man Of Mystery: Who Is World Wide Wes?

Edit: actually this one is better
Is This the Most Powerful Man in Sports?

This part is especially interesting considering recent events.

"TrueHoop, that brilliantly illustrated how, if you look closely at the various forces at work in basketball at every level of the sport—the AAU programs that funnel players to college programs, the agents looking to land players as early as NBA rules allow, the shoe companies, coaches, franchise owners, front-office ecutives, players—it eventually dawns on you that they have one thing in common: William Wesley."

Last edited:
Of course. But without the tapes, there is nothing. That is the difference. The FBI got the tapes. And I can't imagine anyone is dumb enough to get caught on tape now.

Forensic audits can do wonders with hard drives, phones, cellphones and documents, even those damaged.

Man Of Mystery: Who Is World Wide Wes?

Edit: actually this one is better
Is This the Most Powerful Man in Sports?

This part is especially interesting considering recent events.

"TrueHoop, that brilliantly illustrated how, if you look closely at the various forces at work in basketball at every level of the sport—the AAU programs that funnel players to college programs, the agents looking to land players as early as NBA rules allow, the shoe companies, coaches, franchise owners, front-office ecutives, players—it eventually dawns on you that they have one thing in common: William Wesley."
Intriguing! Thanks.

Forensic audits can do wonders with hard drives, phones, cellphones and documents, even those damaged.
yeah but they can't make interviews where none exist.

Me too. I have read a few articles that I thought the next paragraph was going to be. Then he was hired by Jim Boeheim on his wedding night. Hasn't happened. Thank the lord.

Actually there was an article posted today that mentioned that very thing. I'm trying to find it. I believe it was posted on the main scandal thread.

yeah but they can't make interviews where none exist.

Ok, but there are other ways to implicate Nike in this. Just seems to me that since these guys were Nike guys (Nike schools) and the FBI has subpoenaed Nike documents and computers and they mentioned a second apparel company in the original indictment, they have strong suspicions that Nike was also involved. I guess we'll see one way or another in the next few months.

Ok, but there are other ways to implicate Nike in this. Just seems to me that since these guys were Nike guys (Nike schools) and the FBI has subpoenaed Nike documents and computers and they mentioned a second apparel company in the original indictment, they have strong suspicions that Nike was also involved. I guess we'll see one way or another in the next few months.
I am not arguing with you. They very well might be. It would make sense. What a disagree with, is this notion that because Nike might be under the scope, that Nike schools would be under the scope. The Feds had tapes to get those guys. And unless they get someone wired, and let's face it, if you got caught now you would have to be a complete dolt, I don't see schools getting caught. Suspected, sure.

A big question hasn't been answered: why did the feds bring the indictments now?

We can speculate.
It may be to spread fear and get people thinking about covering their rear ends.
The first ones in usually get the best deals.
But we don't know.

The investigation isn't over.
And we don't know who else (and what else) the undercovers may have recorded - if anyone.
But it may be too late for other people to clam up.
There already may be more indictments in the pipeline.
They are listening to their other targets and waiting for a slip-up.

I am not arguing with you. They very well might be. It would make sense. What a disagree with, is this notion that because Nike might be under the scope, that Nike schools would be under the scope. The Feds had tapes to get those guys. And unless they get someone wired, and let's face it, if you got caught now you would have to be a complete dolt, I don't see schools getting caught. Suspected, sure.

Ok, then I misinterpreted your first statement. I thought you meant that nothing was going to happen to Nike in this.

Ok, then I misinterpreted your first statement. I thought you meant that nothing was going to happen to Nike in this.
I don't know whether anything will or won't, I just don't believe that without the kind of evidence that the tapes gave the feds on the first go around, the schools won't face the same heat that the Ville and soon Miami face.

They are listening to their other targets and waiting for a slip-up.
th

Agreed, it's not an entirely clean program, but above all else Boeheim's a pragmatist. When things get out of his comfort zone, he's not going to chase a problem recruit.

The last thing Boeheim is is a pragmatist. He is certified ultra-rigid by his strict German Lutheran heritage from his stoic Dad. There is no way that he paid to get players. That is not who he is. Folks, no need to worry. It is the pragmatists that engaged in pay to play. Many of you criticize his rigidity but over the long-run we could have never done better with anyone else than stubborn old JB. Today is the final proof.

i love this concept. they say nothing is ever truly deleted from your computer...unless its actually something u inadvertently deleted and need desperately. in that case it is truly gone forever.

also, i dont get how things can remain on there forever. hard drives have limited capacity. at some point you cannot have infinite hard drive space.

The last thing Boeheim is is a pragmatist. He is certified ultra-rigid by his strict German Lutheran heritage from his stoic Dad. There is no way that he paid to get players. That is not who he is. Folks, no need to worry. It is the pragmatists that engaged in pay to play. Many of you criticize his rigidity but over the long-run we could have never done better with anyone else than stubborn old JB. Today is the final proof.

fact of the matter is, we don't know. only they know. going back to Lutheran heritage is a bit much. In Lutheran heritage is it encouraged to allow students to allow others to write their papers for them?

I have a real bad feeling about all of this...

Don't. Syracuse is victim here. Arizona, Kentucky, UNC, and even Miami took our potential players with the help of Nike, Underarmour and Adidas.

"Following the news of Person’s arrest, Auburn announced Wednesday it would give full refunds to fan’s that had purchased men’s basketball season tickets should those fans no longer want to attend Tiger basketball games.

Ironically, this summer at the 2017 NACDA conference in Orlando, AD Jay Jacobs spoke on a panel with former Big 12 commissioner, Dan Beebe and crisis expert Carrie Cecil on Mitigating Risk and Protecting Brand Wealth in College Athletics. When asked what he believed his biggest risk to be was Jacobs stated, hiring. He went on to say, that ADs do their very best to hire men and women with excellent character, however, they never truly know. None of us do.

It would be a cruel twist if Jacobs, who has spent his entire career at Auburn loses his tenure based on the behaviors of two assistant coaches, Corey Meyers and Chuck Person who were so removed from him."