Nike Scandal? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Nike Scandal?

The Dukies at twitter got him.

tin.jpg

I've had a similar discussion for a while now.
I don't see why non-violent "extortion" should be illegal.

Let's say I have lawfully obtained accurate information about person A's wrongdoing
I can publish it ...no problem.
In fact, my right to publish it is constitutionally protected.

I can also contact person A and tell him I have this information.
Person A can then make an offer to obtain my silence.
No problem.

But if I give person A the option of buying the information to prevent my publishing it...all of a sudden I'm committing a crime.
My crime apparently is telling him (threatening?) I will do something I have an absolute right to do (publish) if he doesn't want to buy the information.

Why is that illegal?

If you had information/proof that your next door neighbor robbed a bank would you notify the authorities or would you attempt to make a deal with your neighbor to split the money in return for remaining silent?

Dang, Duke be setting up VaTech players while they are out of town...now shutting down Twitter. They are deep out there guys and gals.

Dang, Duke be setting up VaTech players while they are out of town...now shutting down Twitter. They are deep out there guys and gals.
Translation please?

Shocked how many people are totally fine with people who have the money to pay someone off to keep the truth from being revealed. If you have the money, or want someone else’s $ to hide crimes etc, it’s all okay, no blood no foul no morals/ethics and tough luck if you don’t have the bucks to ‘earn’ your way out of crimes.

It’s like this was a transaction between 2 criminal parties with Avenatti negotiating his own non disclosure agreement, a common way those with more power can avoid accountability or judgement.The bigger $ wins these contests and they know it. There is more and more unethical practices publicly being practiced and condoned. The difference between right and wrong is so blurred.

If you had information/proof that your next door neighbor robbed a bank would you notify the authorities or would you attempt to make a deal with your neighbor to split the money in return for remaining silent?

Is your first name Roger?

This dude is not as smart as he thinks he is. Ill take boies schiller over him all day.

For those who know something about criminal law... By revealing on Twitter that his client (Gary Franklin) delivered Nike money to DeAndre Ayton's mother to induce him to sign with Arizona, wasn't Avenatti implicating his client as an accessory or conspirator to defraud the school? Isn't that what the Adidas defendants were convicted of doing, i.e., channeling money to family members, and thereby defrauding the schools?

For those who know something about criminal law... By revealing on Twitter that his client (Gary Franklin) delivered Nike money to DeAndre Ayton's mother to induce him to sign with Arizona, wasn't Avenatti implicating his client as an accessory or conspirator to defraud the school? Isn't that what the Adidas defendants were convicted of doing, i.e., channeling money to family members, and thereby defrauding the schools?

Possibly, but I am sure he had his client’s consent.

Shocked how many people are totally fine with people who have the money to pay someone off to keep the truth from being revealed. If you have the money, or want someone else’s $ to hide crimes etc, it’s all okay, no blood no foul no morals/ethics and tough luck if you don’t have the bucks to ‘earn’ your way out of crimes.

It’s like this was a transaction between 2 criminal parties with Avenatti negotiating his own non disclosure agreement, a common way those with more power can avoid accountability or judgement.The bigger $ wins these contests and they know it. There is more and more unethical practices publicly being practiced and condoned. The difference between right and wrong is so blurred.

It used to be much better when people attempted to keep their unethical and morally bankrupt behavior behind closed doors.

It used to be much better when people attempted to keep their unethical and morally bankrupt behavior behind closed doors.

Huh? Sorry but where did you get that it used to be much better when unethical, immoral behavior is hidden, from what I said? They used to keep it hidden and behind closed doors because it was unacceptable to society, illegal and they would be subject to serious repercussions if disclosed. I’m talking about many people’s reaction and attitude about what to do about it legally and it’s acceptance as standard business practice after it is uncovered - mostly white collar crime and the no blood no foul perspective. We’ve become numb.

Why are you not more offended by those who would rather be paid off than reveal a crime or wrong doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JYCUSE12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom