NIL | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NIL

Players are going to get paid.
This isn’t going to be as bad as people make it out to be.

Instead of getting nothing players can get whatever they can.
Boosters aren’t going to just waste money.
They will offer benefits no doubt but use common sense.
Most rich people don’t waste money. They know what they are doing.

Seriously. Are you clueless. Su is cooked it's just a matter of time.

It's much worse than that. We already see what money under the table has done to college athletics. Now that it is okay and out in the open, the end result will not be good for college sports. This may end up being a careful what you wish for. I hope not. But as i said in an earlier post, name anything that is made more honest when money is introduced to it? We will see. This in my opinion, will not be the players making a few bucks at the big power schools.

There’s definitely a generational gap here. Seems like everyone over 50 thinks this is doomsday and anyone under doesn’t. College Sports already wasn’t exactly on a level playing field anyway. Just get it out there so the member schools can’t play favorites.

How about restoring some wins that were taken away because a few players had a Summer job at the YMCA?
Screenshot_20210630-210806_Twitter.jpg

Goodness can you guys imagine how much money that 6OT Cuse squad would have raked in?

Flynn alone.

we’ve had some ELECTRIC players and will continue to have more.

This is working in our favor

There’s definitely a generational gap here. Seems like everyone over 50 thinks this is doomsday and anyone under doesn’t. College Sports already wasn’t exactly on a level playing field anyway. Just get it out there so the member schools can’t play favorites.

I’m the exception that proves your rule.

Over 50. Fine with it.
Looooong overdue.

Yes - there are going to be unexpected consequences and repercussions, and likely the rich will get richer -
But that was all already going on anyway.

Here’s hoping Weitsman takes a liking to Football as much as hoops.

Really, how can anyone think they know for sure how this will play out? Ask yourself this, when money comes in to anything, when does that make things better or fairer? I'll hang up and listen.

Really, how can anyone think they know for sure how this will play out? Ask yourself this, when money comes in to anything, when does that make things better or fairer? I'll hang up and listen.

Better than having it be decided by a bunch of old men who play favorites with guys they like and butter their bread.

im sure they were furious when we build the Melo Center and definitely did not laugh when Uconn went to the AAC. The game has been rigged for years. Now the money just goes to players instead... * shrug *

im sure they were furious when we build the Melo Center and definitely did not laugh when Uconn went to the AAC. The game has been rigged for years. Now the money just goes to players instead... * shrug *
I have no idea what you mean by any of that?

Kinda strange take on this regarding coaches securing money and distributing it to players. Wouldnt the kids be the ones doing this individually? Or is this just another way for colleges to entice kids to come by trying to pump extra money to them by using their connections/boosters etc.

College athletics have never been pure and the money has always been there in one form or another. Not my opinion. just ask the US Supreme Court.

From the start, American colleges and universities have had a complicated relationship with sports and money. In 1852, students from Harvard and Yale participated in what many regard as the Nation’s first intercollegiate competition—a boat race at Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire. But this was no pickup match. A railroad executive sponsored the event to promote train travel to the picturesque lake. T. Mendenhall, The Harvard-Yale Boat Race 1852– 1924, pp. 15–16 (1993). He offered the competitors an allexpenses-paid vacation with lavish prizes—along with unlimited alcohol. See A. Zimbalist, Unpaid Professionals 6– 7 (1999) (Zimbalist); Rushin, Inside the Moat, Sports Illustrated, Mar. 3, 1997. The event filled the resort with “life and excitement,” N. Y. Herald, Aug. 10, 1852, p. 2, col. 2, and one student-athlete described the “‘junket’” as an experience “‘as unique and irreproducible as the Rhodian colossus,’” Mendenhall, Harvard-Yale Boat Race, at 20. Life might be no “less than a boat race,” Holmes, On Receiving the Degree of Doctor of Laws, Yale University Commencement, June 30, 1886, in Speeches by Oliver Wendall Holmes, p. 27 (1918), but it was football that really caused college sports to take off. “By the late 1880s the traditional rivalry between Princeton and Yale was attracting 40,000 spectators and generating in excess of $25,000 . . . in gate revenues.” Zimbalist 7. Schools regularly had “graduate students and paid ringers” on their teams. Ibid. Colleges offered all manner of compensation to talented athletes. Yale reportedly lured a tackle named James Hogan with free meals and tuition, a trip to Cuba, the exclusive right to sell scorecards from his games—and a job as a cigarette agent for the American Tobacco Company. Ibid.; see also Needham, The College Athlete, McClure’s Magazine, June 1905, p. 124. The absence of academic residency requirements gave rise to “‘tramp athletes’” who “roamed the country making cameo athletic appearances, moving on whenever and wherever the money was better.” F. Dealy, Win at Any Cost 71 (1990). One famous example was a law student at West Virginia University—Fielding H. Yost— “who, in 1896, transferred to Lafayette as a freshman just in time to lead his new teammates to victory against its arch-rival, Penn.” Ibid. The next week, he “was back at West Virginia’s law school.” Ibid. College sports became such a big business that Woodrow Wilson, then President of Princeton University, quipped to alumni in 1890 that “‘Princeton is noted in this wide world for three things: football, baseball, and collegiate instruction.’” Zimbalist 7.

This won’t end well. Not sure how women’s sports can survive when athletic dept gut the Olympic sports

This won’t end well. Not sure how women’s sports can survive when athletic dept gut the Olympic sports
Why are Athletic departments going to gut Olympic sports?

College athletes will make whatever money they are able to negotiate to receive.
This doesn’t affect Olympic sports or women’s athletics.

I wonder how this will affect intra team dynamics. The disparity in pay might be very large between the stars (starters) and the 6th man. In our case we know that our 6th man can be better than someone starting. It’ll be interesting to watch it all play out. I think this might lead to more team dissension but who knows.

I wonder how this will affect intra team dynamics. The disparity in pay might be very large between the stars (starters) and the 6th man. In our case we know that our 6th man can be better than someone starting. It’ll be interesting to watch it all play out. I think this might lead to more team dissension but who knows.
But everyone will get paid

Why are Athletic departments going to gut Olympic sports?

College athletes will make whatever money they are able to negotiate to receive.
This doesn’t affect Olympic sports or women’s athletics.

Title IX will become an issue when the next phase of this occurs which is schools paying kids to come to school. Maybe i'm wrong.

FWIW, the big winner is going to be Otto the Orange. Suddenly weddings, bar mitzvahs, etc are going to be in demand for the Orange. No reason why the kids performing as the Orange can't make a nice living now. There's two costumes so one can travel to weddings and make nice scratch now. I would assume cheerleaders and the band will be able to perform too at events.

Can the university prevent the cheerleaders from doing nightclub openings? i'm curious how much pressure the university can be put on these students

Title IX will become an issue when the next phase of this occurs which is schools paying kids to come to school. Maybe i'm wrong.

FWIW, the big winner is going to be Otto the Orange. Suddenly weddings, bar mitzvahs, etc are going to be in demand for the Orange. No reason why the kids performing as the Orange can't make a nice living now. There's two costumes so one can travel to weddings and make nice scratch now. I would assume cheerleaders and the band will be able to perform too at events.

Can the university prevent the cheerleaders from doing nightclub openings? i'm curious how much pressure the university can be put on these students

Otto already did weddings. I had it at mine.

Otto already did weddings. I had it at mine.
I thought it was done at the cost of travel expenses, etc. I assume the school pocketed all of the cash too.

This would assume the individual students could decide to perform at Tullys now for an appearance fee. Am I missing something?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom