NIT | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

NIT

Jim ought to just retire now, it would be an epic ending. His son punches a player and doesn't get to play in his last game to help his Dad keep the winning season record alive. We end up with a losing record. We don't even get into the NIT. The program is in its worst shape in 40-50 years. Jim ends up a game below 1,000. It's all a perfect ending. I type some of this in jest, but I don't know, sort of serious too.

It's obviously the dirty Nike money that bought off the committee!!

Oregon

View attachment 215619

Syracuse

View attachment 215620

Exactly. I am boycotting the NIT this year!

#NITboycott

No watch party this year. No celebrations. No chips. No salsa. No beer. No stocking up on NIT merch before the tourney. No strippers. No brackets.

No nothing.

FULL. BOYCOTT.

Gillon and White are probably smiling right now. Not that they would want this outcome, but at least they won't be remembered any longer as one of the worst teams.

#NITboycott

No watch party this year. No celebrations. No chips. No salsa. No beer. No stocking up on NIT merch before the tourney. No strippers. No brackets.

No nothing.

FULL. BOYCOTT.
I'm with the no chips and salsa, but I like me some beer.

Last edited:
Jim ought to just retire now, it would be an epic ending. His son punches a player and doesn't get to play in his last game to help his Dad keep the winning season record alive. We end up with a losing record. We don't even get into the NIT. The program is in its worst shape in 40-50 years. Jim ends up a game below 1,000. It's all a perfect ending. I type some of this in jest, but I don't know, sort of serious too.

The odd thing about this whole "punching incident" is that if Buddy waits one more game he could have punched:

Banquero - Definitely punchable
Coach K - That would have been interesting.
Moore Jr. - Punchable enough
Williams - Punchable
Carawell - He could use one
Scheyer - Start of a new rivalry!

Savarino!!!!!! Coach K's grandkid punched by JB's child? Can you imagine the press they would have to get in the ring for a UFC type match for charity match after the dust settles? Coach K and JB sitting ringside...it could have been epic!

So many options.

Instead he punches that sweet young fellow with the awesome hair that stood up for him after the game. :(

I can’t believe this program has sunk so low that we have a 6 page thread about potentially getting into the NIT after having a losing season.

Good god, blow it all up.
In my defense, I’ve just posted to clarify the NIT guidelines and to tell people we had no chance to make it.

The odd thing about this whole "punching incident" is that if Buddy waits one more game he could have punched:

Williams - Punchable

Savarino! Coach K's grandkid punched by JB's child? Can you imagine the press they would have to get in the ring for a UFC type match for charity match after the dust settles? Coach K and JB sitting ringside...it could have been epic!

So many options.

Instead he punches that sweet young fellow with the awesome hair that stood up for him after the game. :(

I would have also accepted Buddy going into the crowd and giving some Double Noggin Knockers to some annoying Duke fans.

But Mason... we were COMPETITIVE.

giphy.gif

Except SWC nor anyone I saw said being competitive was fine for having a successful season.

Williams - Punchable

Savarino! Coach K's grandkid punched by JB's child? Can you imagine the press they would have to get in the ring for a UFC type match for charity match after the dust settles? Coach K and JB sitting ringside...it could have been epic!

So many options.

That is one of the best takes I've read in the past few days. Great point, and you're right, the problem wasn't so much that Buddy punched another player but WHO he punched. Think about it... SU versus Duke, Buddy hits a deep three and then steps over to rabbit face and punches him in his little face. Then rabbit face has to walk around and be on tv with a swollen eye. I would take a one year program ban (maybe even two) if that would happen.

I have to admit, until recently, I didn't realize there were teams so bad that they couldn't make the NIT tournament. I mean, I used to think that any mediocre team could make the NCAA tourney and the NIT was just leftovers. Now look at us. Holy hell.

#NITboycott

No nothing.

FULL. BOYCOTT.
Can “Shirt World” print up and sell some t-shirts for the occasion?

welp didnt make the CBI, either...

welp didnt make the CBI, either...

There's always next year! LGO!!!!!

Except SWC nor anyone I saw said being competitive was fine for having a successful season.

Bees... this was the WORST the conference has been in decades. A competitive team would have at least been good enough to field a decent record. There's a reason that outside of Duke, almost no other teams were ranked all year. Think about that for a second.

And in the worst year conceivable by ACC standards, we couldn't even finish in the top half of the conference. We finished with a losing record in the conference by TWO GAMES. We finished with a losing record overall -- again, not just because we were unable to pad our record in a historically bad ACC, but also because we stunk during the preseason portion of the schedule. We went 0-10 against quadrant 1 opponents, and a putrid 7-5 against quadrant 3 opponents.

Being "competitive" isn't just a game in, game out consideration. By no objective measurement was this team competitive this year, when you look at things big picture. We didn't meet the minimum threshold requirements for the NIT. We didn't even qualify for the CBI.

Did they have their moments? Absolutely. But we weren't even a CBI caliber team this season. Despite the conference being atrocious outside of 1 team.

Last year's SU team, while far from elite, would have finished no worse than 3rd or 4th in this completely watered down conference. We finished 9th, in the bottom half.

I'm like most, disappointed about our winning record coming to a close. However, when you think about it, the only one who really cares about such records is the person/team that holds that record. No one else really cares. It doesn't really matter. I just want to watch a good team next year and get into the NCAA tourney easily, that's all I request.

Bees... this was the WORST the conference has been in decades. A competitive team would have at least been good enough to field a decent record. There's a reason that outside of Duke, almost no other teams were ranked all year. Think about that for a second.

And in the worst year conceivable by ACC standards, we couldn't even finish in the top half of the conference. We finished with a losing record in the conference by TWO GAMES. We finished with a losing record overall -- again, not just because we were unable to pad our record in a historically bad ACC, but also because we stunk during the preseason portion of the schedule. We went 0-10 against quadrant 1 opponents, and a putrid 7-5 against quadrant 3 opponents.

Being "competitive" isn't just a game in, game out consideration. By no objective measurement was this team competitive this year, when you look at things big picture. We didn't meet the minimum threshold requirements for the NIT. We didn't even qualify for the CBI.

Did they have their moments? Absolutely. But we weren't even a CBI caliber team this season. Despite the conference being atrocious outside of 1 team.

Last year's SU team, while far from elite, would have finished no worse than 3rd or 4th in this completely watered down conference. We finished 9th, in the bottom half.

Once again, I responded to a statement, (not made by you) that we didn't have the players to compete with the teams we were playing. I responded by saying that we were competing with them. the problem was, we weren't beating them, at least not as often as you'd expect a Syracuse team to do. At no time did I express satisfaction with going 16-17 in year when the ACC was weak.

Once again, I responded to a statement, (not made by you) that we didn't have the players to compete with the teams we were playing. I responded by saying that we were competing with them. the problem was, we weren't beating them, at least not as often as you'd expect a Syracuse team to do. At no time did I express satisfaction with going 16-17 in year when the ACC was weak.

And once again, by all of the objective standards, we weren't competitive. As evidenced by the net results.

You spent a lot of time talking about individual games, what ifs, and rationalizing about what the perception would be if we'd managed to win a few more games.

Breaking down the resume settles a lot of that debate. Pretty sobering to see that we were 0-10 against quadrant 1 opponents. Thar's a lot more informative than subjective hair splitting about what "competitive" means.

This team wasn't CBI caliber. That says a whole lot about how this season went for the team we all root for. That it transpired during a year when the ACC was unbelievably weak, and should have made our path to winning games that much easier also provides evidence about how about our lack of ability to compete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom