No Fans appear to be happy in the ACC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

No Fans appear to be happy in the ACC

Too early to tell in my opinion. I think what we know for sure is that the traditional financial winners are going to lose, and an outdated scam of a system will be permanently changed. This train has been coming for years, the fact that the NCAA and it's member institutions sat on their a-- and did nothing to prepare for it, is for me proof that the change is needed.
When the people like the status quo they won’t change it.

The NCAA could give the revenue drawing athletes the ability to make their own revenues while maintaining the entire pie of revenue from the men’s basketball tournament.

The organization is detestable.

Under the old system a coach could promise the moon to a player he saw as a back-up plan knowing the player would be stuck there for a while. And then blame the player if he was unhappy. "I gave you the chance you just aren't working hard enough!" "You haven't earned it!"

College hoops is going to become which coaches work the system to get players the hardest.

Coaching will matter with teams that assemble talent.
So like AAU then. Or IMG.

kids left standing without a team, or left to settle for a lesser program — Hoops hunger games

How could any fans be happy......the entire conference stunk.

Here is a portal question, I think I read where a kid can withdraw from the portal but has to be accepted back to his old school! So what happens if nobody picks up the kid? Highly unlikely but is the kid then completely out of luck? Is part of this why people are surprised that kids aren't choosing new schools faster?

This year is a cluster because of the extra year granted players due to COVID and the likely first year of one free transfer. Once this surge works its way through the pipeline it will not be any more disruptive than the old system. Look at the data. It shows that a large percentage of DI players who transfer step down a level.
Those who step up and are successful are the ones we hear about.

Bottom line the players get to move and they should be able to move w/o the need to sit out one year, especially if they only get to do that once.

The off-season sure is interesting though and trumps pro free agency. Hopefully ESPN embraces it and starts to remarket the regular season again. We get things back like the tip off marathon first week. Doubt it though with them adding NHL.

They could kick off the season with the “Nobody Knows Their Roles Classic”

Here is a portal question, I think I read where a kid can withdraw from the portal but has to be accepted back to his old school! So what happens if nobody picks up the kid? Highly unlikely but is the kid then completely out of luck? Is part of this why people are surprised that kids aren't choosing new schools faster?
As long as he hasn't been already replaced, and the coach is good with this return, I think he can return.

Did you hear that Kadary??????

As long as he hasn't been already replaced, and the coach is good with this return, I think he can return.

Did you hear that Kadary??????

We’ve already got his replacement.

Not that we (fans) wouldn’t welcome him back, but he may have burned his bridges already.

And - even IF JB promised him the start & 30+ a game next year, I don’t think it matters anymore.

Sigh.

Read the Louisville, Duke, UNC, and UVA boards the past couple days and conventional wisdom everywhere is each team is going to stink, the coaches let too many guys transfer, sign too many one and dones(Coach k) and the coaches did a bad job in season. It’s going to be interesting to see how everything shapes next year. I expect FSU will be in a good spot, but every other program seems to be at a crossroads.

It's understandable. Duke coming off a bad year with some defections. NC losing its HoF coach and seeing lots transfer.

Wake and BC's ability to go from suck to good just shortened. All bets are off.

Which would lead me to believe we’re going to see some pretty strong lower and mid majors with a group of 6th year seniors leading the way
What the hell are you going to study for 6 years at Butler?? That could possibly be worth your time.

Read the Louisville, Duke, UNC, and UVA boards the past couple days and conventional wisdom everywhere is each team is going to stink, the coaches let too many guys transfer, sign too many one and dones(Coach k) and the coaches did a bad job in season. It’s going to be interesting to see how everything shapes next year. I expect FSU will be in a good spot, but every other program seems to be at a crossroads.

No one getting higher than a 4 seed and no one getting past the Sweet 16 will do that.

No one getting higher than a 4 seed and no one getting past the Sweet 16 will do that.

True, but everyone is worried more about moving forward.

were going to have to see the actual numbers. There’s nothing that proves out this theory that players won’t have teams other than speculation.

seems like a lot of hyperbole because it’s different.
grad transfers were gonna ruin college basketball too.

This year is a cluster because of the extra year granted players due to COVID and the likely first year of one free transfer. Once this surge works its way through the pipeline it will not be any more disruptive than the old system. Look at the data. It shows that a large percentage of DI players who transfer step down a level.
Those who step up and are successful are the ones we hear about.

Bottom line the players get to move and they should be able to move w/o the need to sit out one year, especially if they only get to do that once.
Good post. Pretty much the way I see it at this moment. Yes, there are a lot of warts with this being the first year and the Covid year but we hopefully will find a stable level once this new transfer rule settles down.

Why can coaches immediately coach at new places but players can’t. Why can beard sign kids to TT and then 2 months later leave them behind and coach at texas. It’s unfair and this is a much better way.

Why can coaches immediately coach at new places but players can’t. Why can beard sign kids to TT and then 2 months later leave them behind and coach at texas. It’s unfair and this is a much better way.
Because guys in Beard‘s generation are coddled and babied. They run away from challenges and go for the easy money and the easy way out. They don’t want to have to work hard at a Texas Tech to finally achieve their dreams. They want to be a small fish in a big pond.

...oh I’m sorry, he’s 48

Because guys in Beard‘s generation are coddled and babied. They run away from challenges and go for the easy money and the easy way out. They don’t want to have to work hard at a Texas Tech to finally achieve their dreams. They want to be a small fish in a big pond.

...oh I’m sorry, he’s 48
You forgot ENTITLED.

;)

...oh I’m sorry, he’s 48

Coaches can also get fired, unlike college ball players it’s an actual career. (and I realize scholarships are also generally year to year).

Coaches can also get fired, unlike college ball players it’s an actual career. (and I realize scholarships are also generally year to year).

what’s that have to do with him being entitled? Beard didn’t want to face challenges. He was only looking out for himself.

..and you are right about the college b-ball players...This isn’t even their actual career. Everything they are able to do and show on the court absolutely doesn’t directly affect any possible income they are able to receive in the future. They should be thankful for any opportunity and overcome any obstacles...just like Beard

Players also get pushed out. Let’s be real coaches show “dead weight” out the door

Who won? The players. They can now more freely do what the rest of their classmates do when they decide the school they are at is not the best place for them to get to the future they want.

The old system benefited the coaches, the schools, TV, and the fans.
The players as a whole did not win. The top 100 players might win, I suppose, in some strange way. But I am not sure they are winning, actually. Most are just keeping their head's above water and delaying the inevitable realization that they are not NBA material.

But beyond that? I am not sure. As stated, some will miss out and be left without a seat. Some will lose credits transferring. Some will get inferior college degrees. Some will drop out of school and regret it for years to come. Some will get a lifeline and as a results, lose the connection they have with their initial teammates. Some won't mesh with their new teammates. Some will get buried in their new programs. Some will "go pro" and find themselves playing in four-team Chilean Pro League for $350 a game. Some who stay will get recruited over from the HS and portal ranks. Some will lose their love for basketball, which is very sad.

But Kadary (who I love, genuinely will miss and wish all the best) will play 31 minutes/game at Kentucky (or where ever) as opposed to 26 at SU, where he has three assistant coaches to learn from that were top-flight lead guards during their playing days. If Kadary does not want to fend with Joe Girard, what is he going to experience at Kentucky or FSU? The Cats get 4-5 of the Top 25 players every year (and the top portal transfers) and FSU has a rotation of about 10 players most years.

This is all so silly. It is the AAU mindset (travel ball in other sports) that is wreaking havoc on college hoops as we know it. Greedy, parasitic adults who have somehow superseeded HS hoops and coaches. If met with adversity, I'll show you ... I am gonna leave and go somewhere else. What?

I hope Kadary did not ignore the experiences of Allen Griffin, who lost almost all his playing time as a junior, yet battled and rose above to thrive as a senior. I guarantee those learnings, that adversity, has served Allen well many, many times the last 20+ years.

Last edited:
The players as a whole did not win. The top 100 players might win, I suppose, in some strange way. But I am not sure they are winning, actually. Most are just keeping their head's above water and delaying the inevitable realization that they are not NBA material.

But beyond that? I am note sure. As stated, some will miss out and be left without a seat. Some will lose credits transferring. Some will get inferior college degrees. Some will drop out of school and regret it for years to come. Some will get a lifeline and as a results, lose the connection they have with their initial teammates. Some won't mesh with their new teammates. Some will get buried in their new programs. Some will "go pro" and find themselves playing in four-team Chilean Pro League for $350 a game. Some who stay will get recruited over from the HS and portal ranks. Some will lose their love for basketball, which is very sad.

But Kadary (who I love, genuinely will miss and wish all the best) will play 31 minutes/game at Kentucky (or where ever) as opposed to 26 at SU, where he has three assistant coaches to learn from that were top-flight lead guards during their playing days. If Kadary does not want to fend with Joe Girard, what is he going to experience at Kentucky or FSU? The Cats get 4-5 of the Top 25 players every year (and the top portal transfers) and FSU has a rotation of about 10 players most years.

This is all so silly. It is the AAU mindset (travel ball in other sports) that is wreaking havoc on college hoops as we know it. Greedy, parasitic adults who have somehow superseeded HS hoops and coaches. If met with adversity, I'll show you ... I am gonna leave and go somewhere else. What?

I hope Kadary did not ignore the experiences of Allen Griffin, who lost almost all his playing time as a junior, yet battled and rose above to thrive as a senior. I guarantee those learnings, that adversity, has served Allen well many, many times the last 20+ years.

But Allen Griffin didn’t play in the nba despite all that thriving. in fact per his bio, “Griffin played professionally in Slovania for one season“ and probably made the same as that Chilean league you mocked. Maybe Kadary didn’t want Griffins basketball career and felt the best way to get noticed by the NBA was elsewhere.

maybe it will be wrong.

I see no need to coddle these young men...let them make mistakes and grow on their own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom