No Fans appear to be happy in the ACC | Syracusefan.com

No Fans appear to be happy in the ACC

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
Read the Louisville, Duke, UNC, and UVA boards the past couple days and conventional wisdom everywhere is each team is going to stink, the coaches let too many guys transfer, sign too many one and dones(Coach k) and the coaches did a bad job in season. It’s going to be interesting to see how everything shapes next year. I expect FSU will be in a good spot, but every other program seems to be at a crossroads.

Yeah. These guys need to find landing spots and then fans will sing a different tune.

What people forget is that theoretically there are no seniors leaving this year everyone can return. So in theory there is no room for incoming freshmen if there are no seniors out of eligibility. Combine that with the new transfer rule. There might be teams that don’t add the guys who go on to be their top 3 scorers to the roster until September since they were waiting on the UNCs to offer before settling for a Miami.

Makes me wonder how much worse will the overall product be next year, at least through the mid point of the season

The off-season sure is interesting though and trumps pro free agency. Hopefully ESPN embraces it and starts to remarket the regular season again. We get things back like the tip off marathon first week. Doubt it though with them adding NHL.

Yeah. These guys need to find landing spots and then fans will sing a different tune.

What people forget is that theoretically there are no seniors leaving this year everyone can return. So in theory there is no room for incoming freshmen if there are no seniors out of eligibility. Combine that with the new transfer rule. There might be teams that don’t add the guys who go on to be their top 3 scorers to the roster until September since they were waiting on the UNCs to offer before settling for a Miami.
My understanding is that if a graduating senior decides to come back and use their extra year of “Covid” eligibility, then it won’t count against the scholarship limits.

My understanding is that if a graduating senior decides to come back and use their extra year of “Covid” eligibility, then it won’t count against the scholarship limits.
Which would lead me to believe we’re going to see some pretty strong lower and mid majors with a group of 6th year seniors leading the way

Read the Louisville, Duke, UNC, and UVA boards the past couple days and conventional wisdom everywhere is each team is going to stink, the coaches let too many guys transfer, sign too many one and dones(Coach k) and the coaches did a bad job in season. It’s going to be interesting to see how everything shapes next year. I expect FSU will be in a good spot, but every other program seems to be at a crossroads.
I really enjoy Jay Bilas' work, but I think he missed it on this topic. While 1,000+ players in the portal is not solely on him (not even close), I do think that when certain rules or mechanisms in place compromise an industry or product, some level of regulation is required. College sports had that regulation in place. Yes, players were allowed to transfer from school A to B, but they had to sit out for a year. And beyond that, there was an appeal process in place, although admittedly, it was strife with inconsistent rulings.

So, now we have a nearly free market system in place. And it is ugly. And the entire sport, which was/is suffering already, will be made worse. And dozens, if not hundreds of kids are going to be injured by it. So many won't win the game of musical chairs and will be left without a game to play or a education to earn. And all of this does not include the high school kids, who will not get the attention and offers they would have in previous years.

What do we now have a place? Chaos? Something that resembles AAU? If so, that is not a positive development.

I ask this honestly, who "won" with all of this deregulation?
My best answer (at this time) is no one.

Yup.

But you can still only play 5 guys at a time and there’s only one basketball.

Look at a program like us if you have 8 dudes ahead of you on the depth chart you can show up and look great like Woody and it won’t matter the coach ain’t playing you.

Only if they stay at their current school it doesn’t count against the limit.

If they leave it counts against their new school’s limit.

I really enjoy Jay Bilas' work, but I think he missed it on this topic. While 1,000+ players in the portal is not solely on him (not even close), I do think that when certain rules or mechanisms in place compromise an industry or product, some level of regulation is required. College sports had that regulation in place. Yes, players were allowed to transfer from school A to B, but they had to sit out for a year. And beyond that, there was an appeal process in place, although admittedly, it was strife with inconsistent rulings.

So, now we have a nearly free market system in place. And it is ugly. And the entire sport, which was/is suffering already, will be made worse. And dozens, if not hundreds of kids are going to be injured by it. So many won't win the game of musical chairs and will be left without a game to play or a education to earn. And all of this does not include the high school kids, who will not get the attention and offers they would have in previous years.

What do we now have a place? Chaos? Something that resembles AAU? If so, that is not a positive development.

You prefer the bureaucratic state which is controlled by the powerful programs to administrate? That's how Syracuse got 2 railroadings from the infraction committee. The higher level kids will drift up and there will be openings where they left from.

College hoops is going to become which coaches work the system to get players the hardest.

Coaching will matter with teams that assemble talent.

You prefer the bureaucratic state which is controlled by the powerful programs to administrate? That's how Syracuse got 2 railroadings from the infraction committee. The higher level kids will drift up and there will be openings where they left from.
I sure as hell do!

I don’t think it’s that. I think this is simply what’s happening with fans everywhere because the ncaa is passing this no sit-out transfer rule. It’s a stupid rule that is going to dampen fan engagement. The increasing amount of one-and-dones have already hurt the college game and fan engagement to a large extent, but it’s gonna go to a whole other level with the transfer rule change. The NCAA should just pass the NIL rules and start figuring out a revenue sharing model and then go back to the old rule that players have to sit out a year if they want to transfer (with some exceptions, like the coach departing). The transfer rule change is a fig leaf to appease their vocal critics b/c they’re afraid of the NIL and revenue sharing and don’t want to give up the amateurism charade.

I sure as hell do!
You must have liked it every time a player would transfer to Ohio state or Kentucky or some other such place, waiver granted. But Syracuse or others like it get the window closed in their face. I understand, you get yours.

I don’t think it’s that. I think this is simply what’s happening with fans everywhere because the ncaa is passing this no sit-out transfer rule. It’s a stupid rule that is going to dampen fan engagement. The increasing amount of one-and-dones have already hurt the college game and fan engagement to a large extent, but it’s gonna go to a whole other level with the transfer rule change. The NCAA should just pass the NIL rules and start figuring out a revenue sharing model and then go back to the old rule that players have to sit out a year if they want to transfer (with some exceptions, like the coach departing). The transfer rule change is a fig leaf to appease their vocal critics b/c they’re afraid of the NIL and revenue sharing and don’t want to give up the amateurism charade.
Why should basketball and football players have to sit out a season when they transfer but field hockey, lacrosse, baseball, volleyball players can just go from one school to another without sitting out?

College athletes deserve to have the right to try to optimize their very short window of opportunity Everyone deserves that right, you know, the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Is the rule change to no sitting out when transferring a one year covid thing, or is it permanent?

Too early to tell in my opinion. I think what we know for sure is that the traditional financial winners are going to lose, and an outdated scam of a system will be permanently changed. This train has been coming for years, the fact that the NCAA and it's member institutions sat on their a-- and did nothing to prepare for it, is for me proof that the change is needed.

Who won? The players. They can now more freely do what the rest of their classmates do when they decide the school they are at is not the best place for them to get to the future they want.

The old system benefited the coaches, the schools, TV, and the fans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom