No GIFs, no glory... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

No GIFs, no glory...

This is like taking a grenade to a water pistol fight.

Those can be serious too. My younger brother once loaded a supersoaker with urine, in an attempt to exact revenge on a teacher who had been giving him abnormal amounts of grief. He waited until after school, had masks for he and his cohorts, and a getaway driver parked near the side door. A friend had went ahead to confirm the teacher(a real jerk if I must say) was in his room, but by the time my brother got there he was gone. Granted, a grenade would have been worse(depending on your view of this representative of humanity), but I don't think modern squirt guns are necessarily something to be trifled with.

Unless the ratio of gifs to pxxn is much higher than jpgs to pxxn, it does set a precedent where all pictures could be banned unless a somewhat more clear policy is set forth. I don't know the reasons behind this though, and would rather make observations and ask questions before getting riled up. I'm working on choosing my battles more wisely. Right now if I had to choose one, it would be Tyus.

Last edited:
As far as I know, other graphics have never been used as an exploit. GIFs, have...

If you search the board, you'll find discussions about the board being put on an unsafe site list by Google. It was because of an animated GIF.

Those can be serious too. My younger brother once loaded a supersoaker with urine, in an attempt to exact revenge on a teacher who had been giving him abnormal amounts of grief. He waited until after school, had masks for he and his cohorts, and a getaway driver parked near the side door. A friend had went ahead to confirm the teacher(a real jerk if I must say) was in his room, but by the time my brother got there he was gone. Granted, a grenade would have been worse(depending on your view of this representative of humanity), but I don't think modern squirt guns are necessarily something to be trifled with.

Unless the ratio of gifs to pxxn is much higher than jpgs to pxxn, it does set a precedent where all pictures could be banned unless a somewhat more clear policy is set forth. I don't know the reasons behind this though, and would rather make observations and ask questions before getting riled up. I'm working on choosing my battles more wisely. Right now if I had to choose one, it would be Tyus.

There were past problems with GIFs, both in content, and reportedly creating a false positive from various virus scanning software.

Regardless the block has been lifted.
Thanks, Tom. Let us know if it creates a problem.

jif-peanut-butter.jpg

There were past problems with GIFs, both in content, and reportedly creating a false positive from various virus scanning software.

Regardless the block has been lifted.

Damn I got all excited thinking I could create a new SU fan site that would allow GIFs. Guess it's back to the drawing board!

beavis1.gif

The GIFs are back. Please do not abuse them., or they will disappear permanently. They are for Syracuse-sports videos, not the other stuff that was sometimes posted.

Last edited:
The GIFs are back. Please do not abuse them., or they will disappear permanently. They are for Syracuse-sports videos, not the other stuff that was sometimes posted.
Thanks, Joyce.

Be good, everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know, other graphics have never been used as an exploit. GIFs, have...

If you search the board, you'll find discussions about the board being put on an unsafe site list by Google. It was because of an animated GIF.

Thank you, I appreciate the answer. Truth be told, I'm ambivalent about gifs and if the people were correct about them slowing down computers, I hope folks will be judicious in their use.

As for exploits, about the last 2 or 3 days I've noticed my real time monitoring telling me phishing was detected and blocked. I'm not expert on any of that, so would that be more likely related to the gifs or the ads? Either way, kudos for you explanation and work on this matter. It is not unappreciated(well, at least by some of us lol).

What is a gif?

An image file. What people should be saying is "animated GIF". It's a series of still images stitched together into a pseudo-video clip. They're all over Tumblr.

Ah. Why we dont just say videos?

Because they're not a video file format. They're more like flip-book animation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom